Ram 1500 Ecodiesel Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
Read up on these and most information ends in 2016
I also read the threads here as well.
I noticed a few people have later models of these in their sigs and the questions are?

Did the engine issue and DEF issues ever get resolved?
How do you like yours?
Any issues on the current models?

I don't see any 2019 models- Are they still being sold?

We have a 2018 Big Horn 4x4 that we bought quite recently when they were blowing them out to make way for the 2019's. Saved like 25K off sticker. We LOVE it! Gets fantastic fuel mileage (average is mid 8.xL/100Km) and scoots along surprisingly well for a big truck with 240HP, which is due to the almost non-existent turbo lag and generous torque curve.

I'm not sure what DEF issue you are referring to? It takes DEF fluid
21.gif

The "engine issue" appears to have primarily stemmed from the the engine calling for a Euro 5w-30 C3 lubricant, which, I'm not sure was actually used in many cases, but the spec has been revised to now be for a full-on HDEO 5w-40 like Rotella or Delvac which appears to have resolved it. We are running Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 in ours.

Thanks
The DEF issue is documented but I don't have the link handy.
Looks like it was resolved a few years back.
I know a dealer that had several 2018 trucks but they were not selling them and the 2019
Versions are not around here. Good luck with yours!!!

I like the MPG's too...………
I also like the 2019 look although my last Dodge PU was in 1979

Originally Posted By: Zee09
Thanks
The DEF issue is documented but I don't have the link handy.
Looks like it was resolved a few years back.
I know a dealer that had several 2018 trucks but they were not selling them and the 2019
Versions are not around here. Good luck with yours!!!

No problem.

I will add that there was a PCM update for it released that I flashed last night. Notes were simply that it improved "Diagnostic features and capabilities". We've had no issues with the truck thus far. Really like the new uConnect system.

EcoDiesel owner here. I’ve had no problems with the powertrain for 60,000 miles, although the rest of the Jeep has been less then stellar; I’m constantly tracking down interior rattles. I replaced the rear shocks twice under warranty. The backup camera failed.

The engine failure issue that I’m aware of was corrected in Summer 2016 with the PCM reprogramming to lessen lugging and the change from low-SAPS 5w-30 to mid-SAPS 5w-40. I’m not aware of a DPF issue.

I believe the DEF issue was caused by owners who never take their trucks out on the highway for 20 minutes or so once in a while to allow the catalyst to complete a cleaning cycle. They got check engine lights and running in limp mode. From what I understand, it was all driver issues of not operating the truck as required for the system to work properly.

Originally Posted By: Oily_Thing
I believe the DEF issue was caused by owners who never take their trucks out on the highway for 20 minutes or so once in a while to allow the catalyst to complete a cleaning cycle. They got check engine lights and running in limp mode. From what I understand, it was all driver issues of not operating the truck as required for the system to work properly.

I used to buy Def bottles with the built in flex spout.
I topped off frequently. Bad idea. Def residue would dry up in that flex tube and would not blend in with the new fluid often contaminating the system.

I service a friends 2015 GC. She loves it.
Has 65K miles; no issues.
The oil filter probably costs $1 to manufacture...
You probably know what they cost.

Originally Posted By: JeffKeryk

Oh, the filters.

Cheap cellulose, made in China.

$1 to manufacture

$75 at the dealer

$38 from Amazon

I use the $17 Mahle (when I’m not getting free changes from the dealer)

I've used the Pronto Full Synthetic ($7) and then just installed a STP ($10).

I'll have a UOA of M1 TDT 5w40 with a Pronto filter (from RockAuto) in a day or two. The lab said they were analyzing it today.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Originally Posted By: JeffKeryk

Oh, the filters.

$1 to manufacture

$75 at the dealer

$38 from Amazon

?!?! Wowzer, did not know an oil filter could cost that much. I mean, small beans compared to purchase or depreciation, but still. How far can it go, 20k, 30k?

Oh, the filters.

$1 to manufacture

$75 at the dealer

$38 from Amazon

Then there are the fuel filters. I believe it takes 2 of them, and they're not exactly giving them away either. It was a combination of all of this that turned me away from the Eco Diesel in my Grand Cherokee. First you have the added filter costs. Then there is the DEF, along with the complex, problematic system that uses it. And finally there is the much higher added purchase price, along with the final nail in the coffin, which is Chrysler Max Care won't cover it with a lifetime warranty like they will the HEMI. (That in itself speaks volumes on repair costs of these things over time).

There is no more of an expensive mechanical gamble, than driving a diesel out of warranty. Nothing on them is cheap to repair, replace, or even maintain. That's a lot to put up with for a few more MPG. I like Diesels, and I looked for every excuse to buy one. But I just couldn't when I factored in everything. As always YMMV.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Oh, the filters.

$1 to manufacture

$75 at the dealer

$38 from Amazon

Then there are the fuel filters. I believe it takes 2 of them, and they're not exactly giving them away either. It was a combination of all of this that turned me away from the Eco Diesel in my Grand Cherokee. First you have the added filter costs. Then there is the DEF, along with the complex, problematic system that uses it. And finally there is the much higher added purchase price, along with the final nail in the coffin, which is Chrysler Max Care won't cover it with a lifetime warranty like they will the HEMI. (That in itself speaks volumes on repair costs of these things over time).

There is no more of an expensive mechanical gamble, than driving a diesel out of warranty. Nothing on them is cheap to repair, replace, or even maintain. That's a lot to put up with for a few more MPG. I like Diesels, and I looked for every excuse to buy one. But I just couldn't when I factored in everything. As always YMMV.

Good diesel points- I lived it with several Fords
The eTorque system in the hemi picked up 2 mpg highway
That makes it interesting and no, the stop start feature would not bother me. I have been driving them
for over a decade.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Oh, the filters.

$1 to manufacture

$75 at the dealer

$38 from Amazon

There's only one fuel filter. You can buy the OEM fuel filter for $25. It has a 30k mile interval. (I change mine every 15k miles though)

It has a 8g DEF tank. A full tank lasts 10k miles. A 2.5g jug of DEF costs about $11.

I think the diesel engine is a $2.5k option.

Originally Posted By: Zee09
Good diesel points- I lived it with several Fords
The eTorque system in the hemi picked up 2 mpg highway
That makes it interesting and no, the stop start feature would not bother me. I have been driving them
for over a decade.

If I'm not mistaken neither the Eco Diesel or the HEMI come with Stop / Start. In the Grand Cherokee it's only on the V-6 Penstar. And they sell a nice module to override it.

https://www.smartstopstart.com/

My friends 2015 GC Eco Diesel has 2 fuel filters (water separators). I paid $37.50 each on Amazon.
Oh yeah, they decided to incorporate a 1 1/16 "nut" on the oil and filter housings.
A 1" makes much more sense, if you ask me.
I imagine a lotta home mechanics have sockets up to 1". I was OK, as I have impact and a standard sockets in that size.

Come to think of it, it might be time to get greasy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back