Ram 1500 Classic tire choice

I have been warned that the OEM tires that came on my ram are less than stellar in snow... so I am looking for a decent AT tire. The Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 looks like they fit the bill but I’d like some first hand experience from y’all, or are there better options? The G015’s do carry a 3PMSF rating. Sticking with the factory tire size, 265/70r17.

And no, I will not be getting dedicated snow tires. Just can’t justify it when they’re pretty good about getting the roads plowed around here.

We have great opinions of many tires but the Michelin defender series completely transformed our RAM compared to the lousy LRR Goodyears that came on it. Wet traction and ride quality were the biggest changes!

Then factor in how long they last (60k miles now and still in great shape) and they become quite a bargain, too.

I'm in the same boat pretty much... 1-year old GMC truck with OEM Goodyear HTs, looking to upgrade soon. I like dedicated winter tires on 2wd vehicles but on an AWD/4X4 they seem like overkill. The roads here get plowed and salted almost immediately. I believe a 3PMSF A/T tire will give me the added performance I need without the added cost (and storage space) of a dedicated winter setup.

I was initially looking into the Geolandar AT G015 as well, as it seems to be the best option on paper. However, the tread pattern is just barely an A/T and I'm looking for something a bit more aggressive. Lately I've been checking out the Toyo Open Country A/T III. Pretty new tire, most sizes seem to be made in the USA, supposed to be pretty good in the snow. Haven't quite made my mind up yet, but that's where I'm leaning.

Let us know what you decide!

I've had a great experience with my Cooper AT3's on my F150. My truck is lifted and I run upsized E rated and they still ride very well and perform excellent in winter.

If you're looking for a more aggressive AT tire the General ATx is a great option. I had no issues with them in a decent amount of mid west snow fall last year. A guy I know through Facebook and of both being members of the same multiple truck forums is running them in the UP of Michigan and did a write up on how well they had performed and how he preferred them to the Goodyear Duratracs he took off. I've sold lots of sets of the Atx at my job and have yet to have a complaint.

I don't have as much personal experience with the Falken Wildpeak AT3W but would recommend those as well from what I have seen out of them. They don't tend to have as long of a lifespan as the General and are made in Thailand where the Generals are USA built but are a good option for their price for sure.

I always thought the BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain T/A was an eye-grabbing tire that seems to be very off-road/snow and also highway worthy. After searching for an image to upload here, I discovered that they either are soon to be discontinued, or already have been. Shame. But there are still a decent amount out in the wild, and it is available in your size.

20201015_094058.jpg20201015_094154.jpg

I live in the Buffalo NY area and have owned two late model Ram 1500s, with the 17" wheels. I find the stock Goodyear Wranglers do fairly well in the snow. I'm sure the 20" suck, but the 17s aren't bad because of the big mushy sidewalls. Love my 17s.

Reactions: JC1
We have great opinions of many tires but the Michelin defender series completely transformed our RAM compared to the lousy LRR Goodyears that came on it. Wet traction and ride quality were the biggest changes!

Then factor in how long they last (60k miles now and still in great shape) and they become quite a bargain, too.
I got about 80-85k out of the two sets of Michelin Defender LTX on my wife's Escape, and I probably only rotated half as often as I should. **** things wear like carbide.

When talking about the Goodyear tires or Goodyear Wranglers, it would be beneficial to state exactly which tire you are referring to. There are a boatload of completely different tires marketed Goodyear under the Wrangler family.

I have a set of Goodyear Wrangler Adventure with Kevlar in Load Range C LT Tires. The LT range of these tires carry the 3PMSF rating, while non LT tires do not.

I've found mine to wear well (the 1/2 that did not get replaced due to a screw in the edge of the tire) is at 60,000 miles and still has 7/32 of tread left on them. They are quiet and give acceptable service in the use I put them through - highway and street use, lots of gravel roads, and some construction sites and logging roads. I do use dedicated snow tires in the winter, but I've found the snow and ice service to be acceptable.

Reactions: JTK
When talking about the Goodyear tires or Goodyear Wranglers, it would be beneficial to state exactly which tire you are referring to. There are a boatload of completely different tires marketed Goodyear under the Wrangler family.

Stock 17's up to 2019 that I know of are Goodyear Wrangler SR-A. Like said, they won't last long, but the 17's aren't awful in the snow.

Yep - I know the SR-A are generally panned!

And as you point out, it seems the larger wheel sizes in most tires seem to be worse - part of why I went with the 18's on my truck. Not a big fan of the lower profile tires for a wide variety of reasons!

Reactions: JTK
Truck came with Goodyear Wrangler SR-A’s. I don’t see them making 20k miles, but that’s because I’m a child with 395h and a heavy foot.

I was happy with my RT43’s I had on my 300, the ATX’s caught my eye but they’re fairly new and not many reviews online.

Truck came with Goodyear Wrangler SR-A’s. I don’t see them making 20k miles, but that’s because I’m a child with 395h and a heavy foot.

I was happy with my RT43’s I had on my 300, the ATX’s caught my eye but they’re fairly new and not many reviews online.

Not what you asked, but I'm putting LTX's on ours once these GY's are shredded. While I ran LTX's on the Expedition year-round, we do run snows on the RAM.

Excellent idea in looking for a tire with 3PSMF or all-weather designation, instead of an "ultimate treadlife" all-season model.

Michelin tires were the biggest $800 mistake that I made with my pickup. A significant reason why was the glowing reviews here, from areas of the country that never see any form of frozen precipitation on the roads. Florida is *not* Chicago in January. They didn't last either. I pulled them off at 36k, and sold them on Craigslist. Good riddance.

I have been warned that the OEM tires that came on my ram are less than stellar in snow... so I am looking for a decent AT tire. The Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 looks like they fit the bill but I’d like some first hand experience from y’all, or are there better options? The G015’s do carry a 3PMSF rating. Sticking with the factory tire size, 265/70r17.

And no, I will not be getting dedicated snow tires. Just can’t justify it when they’re pretty good about getting the roads plowed around here.

On the wifes SUV, it will get dedicated snow tires, Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires. As it came with maximum performance summer tires.

After analysis paralysis, and owning many different A/T tires (Every iteration of BFG A/T since the 80's, Toyo's, etc.) on trucks and SUV's over the years. I went with the Yokohama A/T G015 tires in LT 265/70R17 on our other SUV which is mostly for exploring 4wd trails, and winter driving . They start out at 18/32nds compared to the P-rated tire of the same size which starts at 13/32nds, and the tread is a bit more aggressive in LT guise. I can tell you they are great in rain, very good in snow, quiet, and smooth riding despite the LT construction. Pleased with them so far.

It should be noted that we deal with lots of snow every year.

Attachments

• IMG_20200418_150634.jpg
    IMG_20200418_150634.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 38
Excellent idea in looking for a tire with 3PSMF or all-weather designation, instead of an "ultimate treadlife" all-season model.

Michelin tires were the biggest $800 mistake that I made with my pickup. A significant reason why was the glowing reviews here, from areas of the country that never see any form of frozen precipitation on the roads. Florida is *not* Chicago in January. They didn't last either. I pulled them off at 36k, and sold them on Craigslist. Good riddance.

There he is!

You spoke very highly of your Michelin tires on here, for years, until "something" happened, and then you suddenly did a 180 and have been trolling any thread that mentions the brand on here since.

Hi, I second the Nitto Terra Grappler G2, it's got good grip over snow and I am always confident on the road. I can say that because I had an experience that some crazy driver almost side swiped my Ram while I'm driving about 30miles/hr on a snowy street that I had to full stop and saved me from possible collision. If you are still on a look out and want to check more options, this is where I to look for the best tires for dodge ram. There's also an all season tires that will get you through all year round.

I've had my 2018 Crew cab Big Horn for over 2 years now...I read the same thing about the factory Goodyears but honestly they work just fine for the driving I do. In recent snow, they did fine for an all season tire. I have 16,000 miles on them and they should easily make 35,000 at least. I typically replace tires at 4/32"

Back