AT Tire for 2wd Truck

I have been doing mounds of research to select an all terrain tire. The truck is a 2004 GMC Sierra ecsb 2wd. I daily a Camry and drive this on the weekends and occasionally during the week. I will be running a 245/70r17 SL tire. I live in northern Alabama where snow is rarely of any concern for me. My main concerns are wet traction on the road and super excessive road noise(I understand some is expected with an AT). I know a HT would be best but I’m a bit of an outdoorsman and an AT really helps me out during my off pavement travels. Mainly dirt and gravel, occasionally mud but I always avoid when possible. I’m coming from a solid axle 4x4 ram with MT’s so Cadillac ride isn’t necessary but I’m curious if anyone has experience and opinions on the tires in my shortlist. My list is as follows:

Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S
General Grabber ATX
Yokohama Geolander G015
Hankook Dynapro AT2 RF11

Some forum threads have claimed the Yokohama and General have the best wet pavement traction of the bunch. I’ve been following this forum for a few years now and have come to respect most opinions on here so I’m requesting y’all’s thoughts. Thanks.

Attachments

• 6FBF7191-6CCD-46EF-970C-9CB66C12DF95.jpg
    6FBF7191-6CCD-46EF-970C-9CB66C12DF95.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 33
Had these on my 98 f150 2wd up until I sold the truck.

I have heard good things about the Kumhos but have hesitated for some reason to add to the shortlist. Maybe I should reevaluate them. Thank you.

Found a few pics

Attachments

• 20170918_184131.jpg
    20170918_184131.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 20171011_152025.jpg
    20171011_152025.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 20170918_184201.jpg
    20170918_184201.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 38
I have heard good things about the Kumhos but have hesitated for some reason to add to the shortlist. Maybe I should reevaluate them. Thank you.
The truck handled really well in the dry took turns and country back roads that an 8ft bed pickup had no right taking at high speeds rain was good and lite snow the truck had a LSD rear which also helped

I have a 2004 Chevy Silverado Extended cab 2WD, and a 2000 GMC Sierra Extended cab 2WD.

After buying many sets of tires on both, I can report this. Tires can't make much of any difference, on a truck like this. You're only going to be putting lipstick on that pig.

The only thing that you're going to "improve" is increasing your noise level at highway speeds.

I have a 2004 Chevy Silverado Extended cab 2WD, and a 2000 GMC Sierra Extended cab 2WD.

After buying many sets of tires on both, I can report this. Tires can't make much of any difference, on a truck like this. You're only going to be putting lipstick on that pig.

The only thing that you're going to "improve" is increasing your noise level at highway speeds.
This is true

It definitely won’t make a street truck a trail boss but for my trails anyway it does make a difference. I’ve had 2wd trucks with at’s and it definitely helps as opposed to HT tires. North alabama is one of the few places you really can get away with running a 2wd truck and it work well.

I would also be lying if I said the look of an AT wasn’t at play here also. They work well typically for me but they also make the truck look tougher.

The yokohama g015 are my favorite mild AT tire but not sure they would be adequate offroad in a 2wd truck.

If you are used to mudders the toyo at 3 is pretty aggressive AT and not even close to mud tire noise(or even bfg at noise)
I also have a set on my 2019 cherokee. so recommending from experience. Plenty of favorable review articles out there too.

opat3-right.jpg

Last edited:
I have been doing mounds of research to select an all terrain tire. The truck is a 2004 GMC Sierra ecsb 2wd. I daily a Camry and drive this on the weekends and occasionally during the week. I will be running a 245/70r17 SL tire. I live in northern Alabama where snow is rarely of any concern for me. My main concerns are wet traction on the road and super excessive road noise(I understand some is expected with an AT). I know a HT would be best but I’m a bit of an outdoorsman and an AT really helps me out during my off pavement travels. Mainly dirt and gravel, occasionally mud but I always avoid when possible. I’m coming from a solid axle 4x4 ram with MT’s so Cadillac ride isn’t necessary but I’m curious if anyone has experience and opinions on the tires in my shortlist. My list is as follows:

Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S
General Grabber ATX
Yokohama Geolander G015
Hankook Dynapro AT2 RF11

Some forum threads have claimed the Yokohama and General have the best wet pavement traction of the bunch. I’ve been following this forum for a few years now and have come to respect most opinions on here so I’m requesting y’all’s thoughts. Thanks.
Had good luck with Cooper Adventurer A/T on my 04 Chev Silverado 2WD. They are available at PepBoys. My son likes them so much he’s on his second set on his 14 Silverado 4x4. You’ll get good tire wear, reasonable quiet, fine hardtop road traction in wet and dry, and get a little bite on those dirt backroads

I have had great luck with the Geolander G015, but have no experience with the others. There are two versions of the G015, an 8 ply LT version and a passenger rated version. The LT will be stiffer and ride rougher but will last longer. It has more tread depth that the P rated tire. Neither is noisy for an all terrain tire.

My main concerns are wet traction on the road and super excessive road noise(I understand some is expected with an AT). I know a HT would be best but I’m a bit of an outdoorsman and an AT really helps me out during my off pavement travels. Mainly dirt and gravel, occasionally mud but I always avoid when possible.
A/T tires are not known to excel in wet traction, though, the deep channels may help with hydroplaning (for water displacement). I believe @meep ran both the G015's and the TerrainContact A/T's on his truck and found the TerrainContacts to be mildly better for wet traction.

A/T tires are not known to excel in wet traction, though, the deep channels may help with hydroplaning (for water displacement). I believe @meep ran both the G015's and the TerrainContact A/T's on his truck and found the TerrainContacts to be mildly better for wet traction.
Thank you. My only reason for looking for an AT with “great wet traction” is because I know some can very easily suck on wet roads and some do pretty good. I figure the “best wet traction AT’s” will be better described as acceptable compared to street tires. Found myself sliding sideways into oncoming traffic one day in the rain because I had cheap Chinese AT’s on a single cab z71. Looked them up afterward and I was far from the first person to experience that. I do my research these days.

Thank you. My only reason for looking for an AT with “great wet traction” is because I know some can very easily suck on wet roads and some do pretty good. I figure the “best wet traction AT’s” will be better described as acceptable compared to street tires. Found myself sliding sideways into oncoming traffic one day in the rain because I had cheap Chinese AT’s on a single cab z71. Looked them up afterward and I was far from the first person to experience that. I do my research these days.
Based on this feedback, I am curious if the G015's can retain their wet traction as they wear:

Back