Raising a cow or pig, or other animal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've considered trying to see what my legal options are for raising a farm animal or 2. Figured it would be a nice way to A: not have to mow the back yard, and B: have fresh, wholesome food without hardly any preservatives or antibiotics in it. My dad and grandpa raised a few pigs when I was a kid over the wintertime for slaughtering, and then they bought a cow once at auction to do the same. That was some of the ebst meat I had ever eaten. Discuss.

Cow or sheep Id go for. Pigs stink, and while pork is tasty, there is a school of thought about it being bad to eat much of.

Chickens also can stink, but fresh eggs are wonderful.

Hogs will tear up a yard. You need a goat. Then you can get goat milk and cheese. I'm assuming you live in city limits?

Originally Posted By: volk06
Hogs will tear up a yard. You need a goat. Then you can get goat milk and cheese. I'm assuming you live in city limits?

I live RIGHT at the edge of city limits. So, technically, yes. As per the written city ordinance, I've read nothing about any kind of domesticated animals besides cats or dogs. I haven't figured out where to look for agricultural animals yet, or any other kind of domesticated animal.

FWIW, I hate eggs. I've never tried goats milk. My preference is raw milk, but I haven't actually had that in about 20 years. So, I'm stuck with regular store-bought 'whole' milk.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Chickens also can stink, but fresh eggs are wonderful.

Our next door neighbors have chickens and give us eggs sometimes, they are way better than store bought eggs. They end up in our yard all the time, but that's fine because they eat tons of bugs.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
they are way better than store bought eggs.

^^2nd. Farm eggs are wonderful!!!!!!

It really depends on how much property you have. If you have a regular city size lot, you'll be hard pressed to raise any large livestock. Chickens would be a good way to start. They eat bugs, are pretty easy to care for and if you get tired of them, "chicken for dinner."

If it's not expressly forbidden it's allowed! If the town has a problem you'll find out soon enough. Ask at the critter store what they know.

Wife keeps chickens; maintenance is pretty low on them. We don't eat them; egg layers have tough meat. I'll give them the axe when they stop producing but just chuck the carcass.

A goat you'd need a sturdy pen for.

You'd need some acreage for anything more than chickens or a hog, hogs tend to really pi$$ off the neighbors if you have any close
smile.gif

We raise a steer every year and butcher, it is without a doubt the best meat you will ever get. We let them get to around 1200lbs with the last month on nothing but grain, by the time we get them cut up and wrapped and in the freezer total cost works out to around $2 per lb! Try paying that anywhere else!

I only have 6 acres and we have horses so 1 cow is all I can handle, general rule of thumb is 1 acre per head of cattle.

My reading is that you can't have any more than 5 per acre (chooks included) for more than 6 months per year...plenty of wriggle room there, and makes chooks pretty unworthy of the space that they occupy...

And you can't practice fortune telling without a permit and a licence...what's the licence test entail ?

As to
Quote:
No person, firm, partnership, corporation or other entity shall publicly display or expose or suffer the public display or exposure, with less than a full opaque covering, of any portion of a person's genitals

How can you "display", while covering with "full opaque" ?

also call your state univeristy's agcricultural extension... they have free advice just for the asking.

Writer doesn't sound like he has much experience actually raising animals of any type. I hope he researches thoroughly before investing all the time and energy, and money, in it. You gotta feed and water them daily, pick up and dispose of the poop, and when the time comes and you have to look em in the eye before you kill them, it can be pretty hard to do. You can't go off for the weekend unless you have someone to care for them. And theres neighbors to think of also.

We have goats, 10-20 or more at times.
If you've got a 1/5 acre of good grass, you could get a bred dairy doe and a pygmy wether for company and entertainment. Sell or eat the kid(s) and milk it for 9-10 months. After a couple weeks you can get some milk from the doe and once the kids are weaned you could get a gallon or more a day and make cheese.
The next year you can rent a buck or buy a young one, have him do his thing and then butcher or sell him. We've found that the bucks can breed a couple months before the meat gets "bucky". For shelter, they just need a spot to be dry and out of the wind.

Originally Posted By: KenO

I live RIGHT at the edge of city limits. So, technically, yes. As per the written city ordinance, I've read nothing about any kind of domesticated animals besides cats or dogs. I haven't figured out where to look for agricultural animals yet, or any other kind of domesticated animal.

FWIW, I hate eggs. I've never tried goats milk. My preference is raw milk, but I haven't actually had that in about 20 years. So, I'm stuck with regular store-bought 'whole' milk.

Raw milk being unpasteurized? There seems to be a movement to make that legal. Apparently people who are lactose intolerant do not have a problem eating non pasteurized milk!

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Wife keeps chickens; maintenance is pretty low on them. We don't eat them; egg layers have tough meat. I'll give them the axe when they stop producing but just chuck the carcass.

Oh no, you're throwing away some of the best poultry possible. You have free range, top quality chickens that spent their entire lives developing flavor and collagen (that toughness that should be appreciated). That chicken can turn into the finest stock that even the best chefs have a hard time producing simply because they cannot get their hands on such good material. Also, think of all the braising you can do (such as coq au vin) that'll soften the meat and give you massive amounts of flavor over a month old broiler chicken has never developed.

Dang, if there were a way, I'd be intercepting those chucked chickens.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Raw milk being unpasteurized? There seems to be a movement to make that legal. Apparently people who are lactose intolerant do not have a problem eating non pasteurized milk!

You mean illegal? The FDA is trying it's [censored] to stop people from drinking raw milk for some [censored] up reason.

I don't have much experience raising animals, no. I grew up in farm country though, so I'm well aware of the work and dedication it would require. Time to check my local ordinances first I suppose.

B: have fresh, wholesome food without hardly any preservatives or antibiotics in it.

Make friends with a quality locker near you. They'll be able to connect you with a farmer who raises slaughter animals organically and you won't have the mess and fuss of a yard full of barnyard critters.

I live RIGHT at the edge of city limits. So, technically, yes.

Then at the very least talk it over with your neighbors. They may object to smelling hog poo, listening to goats bleating, or cows mooing. For someone living even at the edge of the city limits, trying to raise farm animals can be an issue (along with some legal expense if things get ugly).

Nonsense. The enzyme required to break down lactose (lactase) is produced in the human body and is not present in either raw or pasteurized milk. People with lactose intolerance lack lactase. Whether milk is raw or pasteurized is irrelevant to lactose digestibility.

I'm old enough to remember people getting sick from drinking raw milk before it became common practice to pasteurize it. The nutritional value of milk isn't changed by pasteurization.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
B: have fresh, wholesome food without hardly any preservatives or antibiotics in it.

Make friends with a quality locker near you. They'll be able to connect you with a farmer who raises slaughter animals organically and you won't have the mess and fuss of a yard full of barnyard critters.

Then at the very least talk it over with your neighbors. They may object to smelling hog poo, listening to goats bleating, or cows mooing. For someone living even at the edge of the city limits, trying to raise farm animals can be an issue (along with some legal expense if things get ugly).

Nonsense. The enzyme required to break down lactose (lactase) is produced in the human body and is not present in either raw or pasteurized milk. People with lactose intolerance lack lactase. Whether milk is raw or pasteurized is irrelevant to lactose digestibility.

I'm old enough to remember people getting sick from drinking raw milk before it became common practice to pasteurize it. The nutritional value of milk isn't changed by pasteurization.

Umm.....whats a locker? And how often were people getting sick from drinking raw milk though, and how clean/sterile were their facilities when milking? A big article I read recently stated that that, and the fact that all modern milking equipment is stainless steel, should mitigate any of those concerns. I for one love the taste of raw milk, haven't had it since I was like, 8, but I certainly remember it. And I'ma firm believer that stuff that comes naturally has to be better for you that modifying them....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Umm.....whats a locker? And how often were people getting sick from drinking raw milk though, and how clean/sterile were their facilities when milking? A big article I read recently stated that that, and the fact that all modern milking equipment is stainless steel, should mitigate any of those concerns. I for one love the taste of raw milk, haven't had it since I was like, 8, but I certainly remember it. And I'ma firm believer that stuff that comes naturally has to be better for you that modifying them....

Meat Locker is where a butcher work. Most people who own their own butchery, call it a meat locker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back