Rafter sistering recommendations

JHZR2

Staff member
My one garage has a few bad rafters. Someone ions ago did this to two of them:

2EDDE821-45A1-41B3-8506-8B33BFB2C156.jpeg
671BEBD6-604C-421F-82B0-2EDB0653D270.jpeg

They’re old 1x6 with a spacer between them. One is cracked, and the roof ridge has a bit of sag, so I’m thinking to sister the center rafters and help them to get the ridge back up a bit higher before I replace the roof.

The original rafters are undersized. It’s a 7/12 roof and the spans are 179” per side.

I don’t think it’s smart to remove them both completely, and I need the old rafter tail. I am thinking it may be good to remove one of the two 1x6 sides, which would allow the new sister pair to sit evenly and across from each other. The other side of the ridge just has a normal 2x6 rafter.

So what would you recommend for dealing with this pair of 1x6?

I suspect I’ll be slowly pushing it into place by jacking it up slowly. That will help to get the roof sag straighter. I’ll connect it to the top plate with a hanger.

Thoughts on what side to sister it to, and whether or not to remove one of the 1x6?

Thanks!

Get a 2x6, place it next to one of those 1x6's, and slowly push up, until the sag is gone? I mean, is there a need to remove the old no good rafters, other than for looks? That said, construction is usually stronger than one thinks, I bet if you knocked it out (sans any snow load), it'd sit just fine. Place new rafter under it, jack until level, secure in place.

Looks like they couldn't get a long enough 2x6 for the job? looks like plywood with a short joining piece. No wonder it sagged.

Get a 2x6, place it next to one of those 1x6's, and slowly push up, until the sag is gone? I mean, is there a need to remove the old no good rafters, other than for looks? That said, construction is usually stronger than one thinks, I bet if you knocked it out (sans any snow load), it'd sit just fine. Place new rafter under it, jack until level, secure in place.

Looks like they couldn't get a long enough 2x6 for the job? looks like plywood with a short joining piece. No wonder it sagged.

It was old 1x6 tongue and groove bead board. Some around call it Philly Fence. Not sure why.

No clue what happened 80 years ago to make that repair.

I wouldn’t remove any good rafter.

The issue is those 1x6 are spread apart by another 2x spacer. On the other side of the ridge, it’s just normal lumber. So in sistering, they wouldn’t be perfectly opposed to each other which is an issue. If I removed od of the two 1x6 and sistered to the spacer, it would fit better.

I’d rather have a 2x6 in its place but I need the original rafter tail.

Does this rafter framing include collar ties?
This is a 100 year old two story large garage. It doesn’t include anything you necessarily think it should. I will be adding to it to fix these sorts of things. But I need to fix cracked/sagging rafters first.

I have templates, have a plan. These two are the anomalies because they’re 1x6 and aren’t just sandwiched side by side. That’s all.

Back