Radon Concerns

Radon is a word I haven't heard in many years, but I heard it a lot growing up. I lived in a small town in Illinois and there was always talk about borderline health hazards with radon showing in the town's water supply.

I got detector the other day. I was always wondering as I have a dirt floor crawlspace and Illinois has a problem with radon. Though It's more where the coal deposits are I think. I'm in a unique glacial dam bust flood washout area so not much left of the coal layers. +100 feet to the river rock bottom.

Two rooms and an average of 3.13.

Nice setup Pablo.

I grew up in houses with open sump pumps and slept in the basement on a sofa sometimes. No remedition done or even thought of, this was in Western New York.

Right along side a gas furnace with an unknown heat exchanger.

As I get older this is something I think about, just making my house safer. Our new build house in Texas probably has little risk for radon, no basement and no sump pump. Anyways, the builder I chose added a fresh air system to my house, that pumps in outside air on a schedule.

It's never a bad idea to add fresh air to the interior of a home. Also I like having my gas furnace in the attic, in case of any carbon monoxide leaks.

I honestly contribute having a safe house with good air flow to good health. Guys at work with old houses with no central AC or heat are frequently sick with flu and other problems, and it runs right through the house.

The only thing with the make up air system is it brings in cold air during the winter to the return vent, but it keeps the house fresh.

As I stated as well - nothing wrong with fresh air. I do notice with all sealed up, my average has crept up to 1.00.

That said, I'm not even close to perfect.

Man I grew up in the barrio in So Cal, basically surrounded by busy roads and freeways. Lead free gasoline wasn't a huge thing until the mid 1970's - I was born in 1958. I think Pb was fully banned in 1996 but I was long gone by then. I had Hg fillings. All kinds of toxins used over the years. 2,4T etc. I worked in the chemical industry. Methylene chloride, etc.

And I wonder why I have a fatty liver? Must have been the drinking and all the sugar! Hahahahaa

My mom and dad are in their 90's still live in So Cal. Go figure.

My average is1.63 now. Slowly dropping. I don't know why the first 24 hrs was so high over 3.0

Meaningless, IMHO. 24 hour could have been any irradiated zebra farting in the next state. Give it a couple weeks, min
I would imagine if there are ANY irradiated Zebras running around loose in the States, we should definitely be on the watch for them.

My ground level front room tested well over 7 pci/L for a solid 2 weeks before remediation, and is the room directly over the sump pump, which is down in the crawlspace.

Now, after remediation was performed, it's been around 0.24 pci/L for years.

That front room is our movie room/my home office.

I recently had a mitigation system installed.
It's your typical system where a fan sucks the air from under the basement floor.

I did the short term (six day) test.
Results from 'independent tester' are:
Before .... 9.6
After ....... 0.7

I have two digital gages (sitting side-by-side),
for the last three weeks, my readings are below 1.0

After 30 days of getting daily readings, I may turn the fan OFF and see how long it takes for the reading to increase.
The installer told me if I turn the fan OFF, the readings may not go as high as they were originally.
The reason being - there is now a pvc vent-pipe going from under the floor to outside.
Depending on the pressure under the floor, some of the radon may vent itself (with the fan OFF).

Last edited:
I recently had a mitigation system installed.
It's your typical system where a fan sucks the air from under the basement floor.

I did the short term (six day) test.
Results from 'independent tester' are:
Before .... 9.6
After ....... 0.7

I have two digital gages (sitting side-by-side),
for the last three weeks, my readings are below 1.0

After 30 days of getting daily readings, I may turn the fan OFF and see how long it takes for the reading to increase.
The installer told me if I turn the fan OFF, the readings may not go as high as they were originally.
The reason being - there is now a pvc vent-pipe going from under the floor to outside.
Depending on the pressure under the floor, some of the radon may vent itself (with the fan OFF).
Sweet mother of remediation that's a serious radiation drop Batman!

I turned radon fan OFF and next day l saw the gage readings go up.
These are the numbers using an Airthing digital gage.

8.0 - 10.0 .... before fan installation
0.9 .................. after fan installed and running
7.0 - 8.0 ....... fan OFF using pvc as natural vent (lower readings, but still to high)
0.9 ................. fan turned back ON

Last edited:
I turned radon fan OFF and next day l saw the gage readings go up.
These are the numbers using an Airthing digital gage.

8.0 - 10.0 .... before fan installation
0.9 .................. after fan installed and running
7.0 - 8.0 ....... fan OFF using pvc as natural vent (lower readings, but still to high)
0.9 ................. fan turned back ON
What a great feeling that you got that taken care of, you must be thrilled.

Back