Radon Concerns

I figured it was text to speech or that swipe typing function. It's still readable, that's the important part. I mostly post to BITOG from my laptop. I may have replied once or twice from my phone. Just not a fan of tiny screens and virtual keyboards.
Me either, I do much the same, desk or notebook. Siri is the worst and never was a big fan of the iPhone keyboard but when
I have too….

Would be curious to see if a radon detector would pick up on higher levels of radiation out in the Nevada desert where they done the nuclear testing or at Hiroshima where they dropped the bomb.

Is the Radon levels we see from radioactive fallout that has settlled on the earth years after these incidents?

I find it funny that my Radon tester reads higher in the crawlspace under my 12X14 porch where there is uncovered topsoil. I have been monitoring in this spot for 2 months and it is average 2.5 to 3x any other areas in the house. the 2 month average is showing 745 Bq. Anywhere else was substantially lower.

Going to cut a lay some vapour barrier & start with that.

Would be curious to see if a radon detector would pick up on higher levels of radiation out in the Nevada desert where they done the nuclear testing or at Hiroshima where they dropped the bomb.

Is the Radon levels we see from radioactive fallout that has settlled on the earth years after these incidents?

I find it funny that my Radon tester reads higher in the crawlspace under my 12X14 porch where there is uncovered topsoil. I have been monitoring in this spot for 2 months and it is average 2.5 to 3x any other areas in the house. the 2 month average is showing 745 Bq. Anywhere else was substantially lower.

Going to cut a lay some vapour barrier & start with that.
Sounds like a fun project. What would be even more cool is to sink a perforated drainage type PVC pipe in the soil as deep as practical and exit it to the outside of the porch, connect a solid elbow and short pipe to vent gas to the outside.
Then once you lay the plastic the gas should find the least resistance through the pipe to the outside instead of someplace else inside.

For a do-it- yourself type person. If you know there is radon in your area and in your home I would think, to me, sinking perforated PVC pipe (driving it down vertically deep, making sure there are no utilities below) even around the foundation topped off with a solid PVC to the outside air would reduce levels as well. Think about it like this, you are putting a hole in something to release the pressure through a pipe instead of just anywhere.

Not sure if these levels are something to be worried about.

Seems we never heard much about Radon 15 or 20 years back.
You pretty much living in a free spa - folks pay a lot of money to go to holiday resorts with radium springs.
It's considered good for your health.

image_2023-10-25_172131329.png

Sounds like a fun project. What would be even more cool is to sink a perforated drainage type PVC pipe in the soil as deep as practical and exit it to the outside of the porch, connect a solid elbow and short pipe to vent gas to the outside.
Then once you lay the plastic the gas should find the least resistance through the pipe to the outside instead of someplace else inside.

For a do-it- yourself type person. If you know there is radon in your area and in your home I would think, to me, sinking perforated PVC pipe (driving it down vertically deep, making sure there are no utilities below) even around the foundation topped off with a solid PVC to the outside air would reduce levels as well. Think about it like this, you are putting a hole in something to release the pressure through a pipe instead of just anywhere.

I excavated around the foundation of the house perimeter footers, & installed weeping tile to control groundwater seepage that was coming in to my basement about 15 years back.
Instead of bringing the weeping tile back into the basement under the footer I ran it into an external dewatering well that keeps the ground water 4 feet below the basement slab.

I was considering installing a radon pump at the top of the well.

I think it would be quite effective as well.

I'm a firm believer that the whole radon scare was brought about by tobacco companies trying to point lung cancer at something else.

And there's a lot of money in remediation.

The native Americans had caves west of me that they would go into to relieve pain and inflammation.
When modern science studied these caves all they could find different than other caves was uranium decay/daughter products such as radon and radon decay products.
AFSIK no one has ever conducted a clinical study of "radon therapy".

It's so humid here in Illinois during the summer that just about any outside air you introduce to the crawlspace will cause +80% humidity. As I make the house tighter this becomes more of a problem. Currently run a crawlspace exhaust and a whole house exhaust at different times.

I excavated around the foundation of the house perimeter footers, & installed weeping tile to control groundwater seepage that was coming in to my basement about 15 years back.
Instead of bringing the weeping tile back into the basement under the footer I ran it into an external dewatering well that keeps the ground water 4 feet below the basement slab.

I was considering installing a radon pump at the top of the well.

I think it would be quite effective as well.
Are you near any old or current uranium mines or processing plants? Maybe someone brought something home they shouldn't have or had some fill put on your lot?
Port Hope in southern ontario here has lots radioactive soil and even building materials from the early days of its processing plant, in the 30's and 40's where waste was dumped seemingly all over place.
One of my co-workers had boards from crates of uranium used as trim in his childhood house! I think in the 80's and 90's they finally went through the whole town, every building and yard, with Geiger counters and found all the really bad stuff that is exposed at least.

I'm a firm believer that the whole radon scare was brought about by tobacco companies trying to point lung cancer at something else.

And there's a lot of money in remediation.
Most remediation is pretty cheap and I think most companies doing it are not linked to Radon studies.

Listen, it's not something to stress about but ionizing radiation is not at all good for you. Tons of non-gov info on that. I'm not a proponent of large gov, hate most any kind of oversight, hate most taxes, love all the Constitution - the entire document, and I think you should clear your house with God's fresh air as much as possible!

This isn't made up: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radon

By the way my closed up office (cold outside) was over 1 this AM. A new high. LT is 0.78
IMG_6263.jpeg

Most remediation is pretty cheap and I think most companies doing it are not linked to Radon studies.

Listen, it's not something to stress about but ionizing radiation is not at all good for you. Tons of non-gov info on that. I'm not a proponent of large gov, hate most any kind of oversight, hate most taxes, love all the Constitution - the entire document, and I think you should clear your house with God's fresh air as much as possible!

This isn't made up: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radon

By the way my closed up office (cold outside) was over 1 this AM. A new high. LT is 0.78View attachment 185920
Those are great numbers, not sure if everyone knows that?

Not exactly related but maybe some of you know of a true high quality wireless rain gauge. Not for a sprinkler system. But one that records rainfall.
I know the name brands out there but are there any standouts?

Back