Radiator Hoses on a 12 g37x sedan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, so was checking the oil last week as one does and noticed dirt adhesion on the block from moisture and traced it to a lower radiator hose leaking from where it meets the thermostat housing. I ordered the vehicle specific Gates upper and lower radiator hoses, an OEM thermostat assembly and gasket for it along with two gallons of Valvoline's Zerex Asian Blue oh and a new Motorad radiator cap to top it all off. Am I missing anything that should be replaced at the same time? Thanks in advance.

One thing you might run into is that the Gates hoses will be thinner than OEM and the OEM spring clamps won't work as well. That happened on my Liberty, it had a weep from the Tstat housing after.
I replaced them with this type of constant tension clamp:
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...to-1-3-4-inch-hose-clamp/mp47020/4458971

Others suggest using some hylomar on the housing:
https://www.amazon.com/Hylomar-172-148-Universal-Gasket-Sealant/dp/B00J4Z7N9I/ref=asc_df_B00J4Z7N9I/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312067194179&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8324382994943795159&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1028036&hvtargid=aud-801381245258:pla-571702428941&psc=1

You need a container to " catch " the old coolant .

Tools to remove the existing hose clamps .

Probably would be good to have a funnel .

Access to a faucet & hose for clean up / wash down , when you finish .

Depending on what type of tstat gasket is used , maybe some sealant .

Check the heater any any other hoses . Check the battery acid level , if you can . Check the other fluids . Check the air filter . When is the next oil / filter change due ? Check the air in the tires .

We work on a lot of these cars. The issue isn't the hose - the main issue is the clamp. Installing a new hose is not a bad idea, but I would only use the dealer hose.

If you replace the thermostat and install a Gates thermo-clamp at the upper hose to t-stat connection, this issue will never reoccur. If you use a new spring clamp, the issue will come back in a few years.

Good info, thanks! I had figured the OEM clamps were cheap and shot by now anyhow and ordered some stainless worm drive constant tension clamps with the other stuff already, seems like that was a good call.

Thanks for all the info! I know the lower rad hose has 3 small but distinct pin leaks near the clamp, I suspect the clamp is weak as well (well they did but JB weld is magical stuff), so all the clamps are getting repalced with the Gates Thermo Clamps like you recommended or stainless constant tensions worm drives. I'm probably not keeping this car more then another two years max, have had good luck with Gates parts on it in the past and already picked up the Gates hoses so unless you've specifically had bad experiences with those parts I'm probably gonna give them a shot. I wouldn't use a non OEM thermostat but for hoses how bad can Gates really be if they fit?

Haven't had much luck with anything from Gates, but the hoses are probably fine if you are not using OEM clamps. The issue with aftermarket hoses is that their thickness is often different so the OEM clamp will not always work.

I highly recommend the ThermoClamp over any other option for the problematic connection points.

Appreciate the advice, yeah coolant systems do make a mess and those big catch containers are useful to have and those factory clamps and the oem hoses can be a pain to get off once they have been on a long time. Luckily I caught this leak really early while doing the weekly under the hood check, the rest of the car is pretty solid, I'm pretty OCD about maintenance on it.

Gonna try the thermoclamp, it looks like a great idea! Now that you mention it I always replaced the factory style clamps with adjustable constant tension ones so I probably never noticed the difference in hose thickness on my other vehicles that got Gates parts. I could see how that's less then ideal for automotive professionals with shops trying to explain and sell repairs to customers that know nothing about their cars though and it would just be easier to use OEM only stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back