Crazy Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone l decided to make a post here after seeing that you guys seem to really known your stuff. So here goes nothing

I guess this will be my first detailed post. Little backstory for you guys, I bought this 2007 g35x sedan in March from Philly. It was super clean had no issues and I loved it. Still do but my recent discovery has definitely put a damper on that love.

A month ago I started to have cooling issues that I couldn't track down. It first started with bubbles in the coolant reservoir so I thought the worse and assumed it was the head gaskets (scary) did a block test and was happy to see it wasn't my issue.

So next I decided to do some research and found that sometimes a radiator cap would cause a bubbling issue due to it not holding pressure anymore so I swapped that and all was good for a week or so.

Fast forward and I'm having the same issues and now I'm even more aggravated so I decided to check the lower radiator hose after a drive and long behold the [censored] hose is cold and the upper is like extremely hot. So now I'm like great, it's the thermostat that's sticking and this shouldn't be to much effort to change it.

And this is where things went from optimistic to just downright horrible.

I went past infiniti to grab an oem thermostat and a gasket and went home to remove the thermostat that's when the horror arrived.

At first glance I really thought the thermostat that was removed from the car was r thermostat for a vq35de but upon further inspection... That IS A HOLE THAT WAS DRILLED INTO THE THERMOSTAT THAT WAS DRILLED INTO THE ENGINE BLOCK BEHIND THE THERMOSTAT. ...¡

Why drill a hole? Why drill a hole and then drill into the block itself? I did more looking and then found out why.

It looks and felt as though the hole where the screw goes was broken so they used another bolt to secure the thermostat to the block. I also found out that the bolts they were using to secure the thermostat was the wrong size and were being secured by more rtv. I'm being annoyed with all this stuff and I'm trying to process how to fix this situation because besides this issue the car has no issues whatsoever.

Thanks for reading my post of frustration and hopefully someone can chime in and help me out a bit

Images would help but I'm trying to figure out how to upload. Thanks in advance

Sounds like the previous thermostat service was done by a hack. You may have to bite the bullet and get it done right at an Infiniti dealership. When it's fixed, you'll love the car once more.

I have an image in my head of what you are describing , but I may be wrong .

You have an extra , un-used hole in the block ? Is it exposed to coolant ? Make sure the threads are good , or tap new / good threads yourself . Source a " set screw " of the appropriate " size " , apply sealant and screw it into the hole to " plug " it .

The appropriate holes that originally secured the tstat housing / cover are over size and / or the wrong diameter / thread ? Are they exposed to coolant ?

Either repair the holes with a Heli-Coil or Time-Cert + sealant and use new , OEM fasteners . Or new fasteners that will fit the existing holes .

Hope you are able to post photos . I may be completely off base .

Best of luck , :)

Did you happen to take any pictures of the drilled hole? Not sure if any metal epoxy would work or if you need someone to weld the hole for you.

Hang tight and someone here will know exactly what you can do to fix it

Is there a way I can upload images?

I'm pretty mechanically skilled (swapped my last infiniti g35 motor in my driveway) so I might can do it myself if I know what I'm doing of course.

No the hole is being used (unfortunately) they drilled a new hole through the thermostat housing (not the block) and the bolt was long enough to drill into the block (behind the thermostat housing)

Rather not get overcharged by infiniti but if it comes to that I may have no choice

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This is the hole that's behind the thermostat. This hole was made to secure the thermostat to the bolt because one of the original mounting holes was damaged

Last edited:
That looks like a coolant channel and if so not many options. You could remove everything from hole and make sure that they didn't drill to far and go in block which means new block or if not thru then put a set screw with locktite. After all is set then fix housing. Good luck

That's what I assumed. Question though, I've been driving this car for almost 6 months with no ill effects until recently so would that mean they didn't go to far into the block to cause major damage? Would I be ok if I left it as is and just installed a new thermostat? Or should I reinstall the bolt (cutting it down shorter) and install new thermostat and that way the hole is plug as it was once before?

To me, from the info. a new Infiniti water outlet and gasket properly installed should fix the problem. Don't support their amateur hack job trying to make it work. The air must be leaking in at the botched gasket or new bolt head.

Ok I have a new thermostat and a gasket, so you think I should leave the bolt hole as it is and just proceed to install the new thermostat and gasket?

Not at all. As is purchase. I've bought numerous used cars with great results because i do a good thorough check before buying. Guess I'll add checking thermostats to the pre check list lol

Can you determine if that extra hole is a "blind" hole into solid metal? Or, does it penetrate into an opening or passageway of some sort? If it's into a passageway, is it an oil gallery or coolant gallery? The solution depends on this answer. Others will come along to tell you how to repair the three original thermostat holes (helicoil, etc.).

What can I do to determine a blind hole or solid metal?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kidretro
What can I do to determine a blind hole or solid metal?

He's asking if the extra bolt hole is drilled into a coolant channel in the block or just tapped into solid metal.

My 2 cents;

As others have said, do NOT continue with the previous hack-job.
Fix it the correct way / you'll be glad you did.

1) Plug up unnecessary hole
2) Repair the 'original' threaded holes
3) Clean everything up
4) You have a 'new' housing, and thermostat
5) Gasket or Sealant as required

Good luck / let us know how it works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back