Thermostat; to drill or not to drill a bleed hole?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done a couple holes in a couple different cars with the desired results.

These were typically replaced thanks to being "sticky". I don't see a stat slamming open and closed over and over being all that good for the engine... thermal stresses and what not.

It took about 3x 1/8" holes to overcool a 96 cavalier. I learned from that and typically now drill one 1/16" or 3/32" hole.

There are some shady cars I work on that trap air, and the bleeders are either rust welded in place or look like they would be. So I put the tiny hole in the stat, point the front of the car uphill, and fill as much as I can. I squeeze the upper rad hose to try to work the air out. Sometimes I'll disconnect said hose at the radiator nipple and "backfill" the engine through the hose and stat-with-hole, lifting the end of the hose as high as it will go to make more pressure.

Last year I drilled a hole on my thermostat. It caused the engine to stay cold for longer when warming up, and did nothing to keep temps down when it was up to operating temp. I found that If you want cooler temps, change out to a lower temp thermostat.

I have always drilled a 1/16 in hole in every replacement thermostat which didn't have one. I never had an air pocket problem or an engine warm up problem. I am in Northern Ohio, so it gets cold here. I wouldn't go any bigger than 1/16 inch.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex
1/16" (.062") hole at 12 o'clock

ALWAYS and EVERY time!

Why so big?......Because that is about the smallest bit that fits in a standard 3/8"-1/2" chuck housewife drill? A .020" hole would do.

I use OE thermostats & haven't ever modified them. Just make sure to bleed/burp the cooling system.

Originally Posted By: Trav
The higher priced Altrom products are usually OE.

Makes sense I guess. NAPA has Altrom filters that look like German Mann filters.

OK, that didn't work! I either got a bad thermostat, or the hole flows more than I thought. It's tiny, like 3/16, and the car will hardly get to operating temp now. Gonna get a new one...

It was a nice experiment. I might throw the drilled one in boiling water to see how it acts.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
OK, that didn't work! I either got a bad thermostat, or the hole flows more than I thought. It's tiny, like 3/16, and the car will hardly get to operating temp now. Gonna get a new one...

It was a nice experiment. I might throw the drilled one in boiling water to see how it acts.

Hole is too big. Don't go larger than 1/16 inch.

I'm thinking maybe stick a bolt and nut in the hole, or maybe a tiny screw bent so it stays in the hole; any rust concerns, or will the antifreeze mitigate that?

Good lord no don't do that. Imagine it coming loose. If you must, stake/ peen the threads somehow.

I would not bother. A good sealed nonleaking system will drive the air out in a few cycles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back