Crazy Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok update for you guys, upon further inspection I have updated pics for you to make a an informed decision.

It appears that lower bolt hole was attempted to be threaded.

Also I've attached a Pic of the hole that was made and I think it's a cooling passage. The bolt I removed showed no oil residue and just smelled like coolant and visually showed old coolant stains

Screenshot_20190830-160135_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190830-161042_Gallery.jpg

Originally Posted by Astro14
Just looking at the thread title, I thought, perhaps, you had met my ex-wife...

27.gif

I am wondering if this is Engineer20.... Reincarnated.

So I think I've formulated a plan of sorts,

1st remove all rtv from bolts holes (probably use a small pick and a small screwdriver.

2nd. There is only one good bolt hole left so the other two will either have to be tapped or marine welded and then tapped.

3rd, instead of having someone weld the hole inside of the housing (costly and car will have to towed and its limited space) I'll get a shorter bolt with the same thread pitch and
Screw it back into the hole as it once was.

4th. Admire my work and put everything back together and enjoy my efforts.

So what you guys think?

OP,
Most people would never admit it but, (4th) admiring your work …… makes it all worth while.

Take it one step at a time.
Your plan sounds good to me, (but others on here know more then me).

Edit: Make sure your 'threaded plug' is securely fastened and sealed so it NEVER works it way out.

Last edited:
And of course this is the space I have to work with, I could remove the front end but the radiator is connected to the ac system so I would have to evacuate the system then remove everything

20190830_172350.jpg

Yup when I installed my engine by myself 2 years back I was super happy. Even the neighbors came out and was clapping. Even though I think they were clapping because they didn't have to look at my car being disassembled in my driveway anymore lol

Picked up a shorter "threaded plug"

Now to start on removing the rtv in the bolt holes.

20190830_181335.jpg

Ok I'm seriously considering helicoil taps. From what I've seen it may work in my situation. Can anyone confirm? And also with my limited space would it be possible to make this happen?

Originally Posted by Astro14
Just looking at the thread title, I thought, perhaps, you had met my ex-wife...

27.gif

...‚...‚...‚

Helicoil for sure. They need an oversized hole to be inserted anyhow so it might be just about right. 2nd option is a chemical thread repair kit (similar to JB weld); I have used a few times in the past with excellent results, but follow directions exactly. I would plug that other hole with a bolt like you describe if it will tighten up and not interfere with the t-stat housing, use locktite on threads, OR JB weld or other known quality metal filled epoxy.

Originally Posted by another Todd
Helicoil for sure. They need an oversized hole to be inserted anyhow so it might be just about right. 2nd option is a chemical thread repair kit (similar to JB weld); I have used a few times in the past with excellent results, but follow directions exactly. I would plug that other hole with a bolt like you describe if it will tighten up and not interfere with the t-stat housing, use locktite on threads, OR JB weld or other known quality metal filled epoxy.

Yup so wish me luck, due to lack of space I'm going to have to have the front end removed. Sounds extremely overboard I know but infinti decided to make my radiator a 2 in 1 system so the ac condenser is attached to the radiator so I'm going to have to evacuate the ac system THEN remove the radiator system and radiator fans. Good times lol

Question for you guys, I decided to start to take the car apart and observed few things

One bolt hole is fine

Second bolt hole it appears they attempted to drill a new hole under it. Horribly done.

Third bolt hole housing is cracked.

So from what I've gathered and read my options are

Repair both holes by rethreading and using a helicoil (issue with that the bolt hole that was redrilled and the bolt hole housing looks a bit thin Pic included) and the other bolt hole the housing is broken off

Someone suggested to drill deeper and use a longer bolt (super sketchy because I have no idea how deep to go without causing irreparable damage)

Last option is to get a few quotes from shops and let a pro handle it.

Thoughts? The lack of space is what bothers me and I haven't located a mobile hvac guy to empty my system at all and I don't want to vent this stuff into the atmosphere

Screenshot_20190830-160135_Gallery.jpg

20190830_091838.jpg

Never updated this post but I ended up getting The car up and running with a little ingenuity, prayer and of course jb weld. Car has been running like a champ ever since.

That looks like it was one [censored] of a hack job, not only did they decide drilling a random hole into an engine block was the "proper" way to fix that, but it looks like they let a blind person do the drilling, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back