Racing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, Terry, didn't they also used to be called "International Sedans?"
wink.gif

I like that class a lot. I'll have to look at Speed's website for the airing date of that race. I'm a Honda guy so I cheer for the Realtime Integra Type-R guys as well as Taz Harvey in his silly little Civic. When I went to Limerock, I really lucked out. The top three finishers were Kleinubing, Cunningham and then Taz Harvey.

I cheer for them ... but also Shauna Marinus (also in a Mazada) as well. Gotta love a chick who likes to run with the big boys. At RFK, she started 20th and clawed her way up to 8th.
grin.gif

--- Bror Jace

You are a old road race fan if you remember the International sedans of IMSA!
lol.gif

Thats before my time. Hemmingson did win the championship or runner up behind Irv Hoerr but I can't remember the year.

If you guys would buy alot of oil analysis kits from me this board could sponsor a Trans Am car for Chuck and I to drive with BOBandTHEOILGUYS plastered on the side. Of course all on this board would be able to get laps in it to warm the tires before racing
fruit.gif

Hey Sprintman, have you ever made it to Boone Iowa in the Fall for the real sprint races?

No as it's long way to Tipperary (oops sorry Boone Iowa) from Oz. Knoxville, Eldora and Williams Grove will be 1st on my agenda. Must do it before "The king' and Sammy retire. Thet are so close to breaking into the 12's at Eldora and that is scary!

Yes Terry for a guy that still gets carded when purchasing alcohol, I'm an old fart.
smile.gif

It was 1989 when I went to Montreal to see the Formula One race up there and they had (as a pace car) a 1990 Acura Integra.
smile.gif

I bought one a few months later and then found that they actually RACED the things.
smile.gif

I forget the name of the team (and their primary driver who went to to a short, mediocre career in CART when Honda made that leap) but I remembered they used this stuff I'd never heard of before ... something called Red Line Oil.
confused.gif

Anyway, weren't the guys way-back-when the predecessors to the Realtime guys currently running Type-Rs?

--- Bror Jace

BrorJace, Honda/Acura has changed factory sponsorship more than underwear in the "stock" bodied sports cars. So I can't be for sure except they blew our poor 95 Achieva out of the water with nearly stripped stock Integras.(in IMSA/PSR)

I raced against a fellow Upstater named Peter Schwartzott( used to finish for Newman). Combined with Bob Endicott and Acura they really kicked butt. When I wasn't hitting walls I did OK for a rookie.

It depresses me to talk about racing since I haven't in a while. You get addicted to this stuff. Good people all.

I was looking through my new issue of Road & Track and read their racing section. Because of their publishing schedule, they are way behind with their “news” but that suits me fine as I’ve been behind on some series as well and needed to catch up with some behind-the-scenes gossip.

I just read that all CART teams next year will be running a spec Cosworth engine supplied for a handful of builders. Excuse me? A series that was at the cutting edge of racing and technology in North America and the world is now going to be using the same/similar motor for everyone?
confused.gif
Oh, how the mighty have fallen. R&T billed it as the engine that saved the series from financial ruin … and they might be right. I don’t have to like it, though. It looks like Ford will be sending the series and/or Cosworth a massive check … so their name will appear on the Cosworth’s valve covers. Typical.
rolleyes.gif

Honda will go to IRL next year (to work with Ilmor) but I don’t know if I’ll bother following them since mostly they race on oval super-speedways. If it was the only racing available I’d be sure to watch but with all the other offerings on the Speed Channel, I can’t imagine paying much attention. The saying “going around in circles” was coined to describe a pointless activity … and not by accident.
wink.gif

I’ll guess I’ll have to stick with SCCA and whatever Europe has to offer. Fortunately, that’s quite a lot.
smile.gif

Speaking of which, the Rally of Finland (“Rally of a Thousand Lakes”) is this weekend and preview coverage begins tonight on Speed Channel.
grin.gif
This rally/rallye is characterized by racing on dirt/gravel roads at high speed AND a multitude of jumps … and I mean hundreds of them. So, if you like to see racing cars flying through the air FOR REAL (not some lame county fair stunts with jalopies badly in need of a ring job) be sure to check out the highlights of this event … at the very least.

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
No as it's long way to Tipperary (oops sorry Boone Iowa) from Oz. Knoxville, Eldora and Williams Grove will be 1st on my agenda. Must do it before "The king' and Sammy retire. Thet are so close to breaking into the 12's at Eldora and that is scary!

I just spent last weekend following non-wing sprint car racing in PA. Went to Williams Grove, Lincoln, and Grandview speedways. First time I'd been to PA to see racing and it was a blast. PA doesn't see much non-wing racing; it's popular in Calif. where the SCRA is from and they were the folks who towed to PA for events in the Non Wing World Championship Series.

Went to the Knoxville Nationals in 93 or 94 (can't recall) and watched Steve Kinser win another one. It was the first big race since his separation from Karl and his sponsorship with Quaker State. That week is an absolute must-see if you're a sprint car fan.

**** , I missed this one, Bror! Anyway, I didn't really read everybody's posts. So, here are my thoughts.

Types of Racing I like:

- Mtn. Biking Cross Country/Downhill/Technical/Slalom
- Formula 1
- CART
- World Rally Championships
- Sometimes, the Canadian Rally Championships
smile.gif

- DAKAR Rally
- Gumball 3000 Rally (okay, it's not a race, but you guys would love it too
grin.gif
).

I have never raced, but would definitely like to experience one or all of the above that I've mentioned so far.

Things that I dislike:

- NASCAR (just a bunch of 200mph billboards IMO).

Personalities that I've come to like:

- Michael Schumacher
- Ayrton Senna
- Colin McRae
- Missy Giove
- Julie Furtado
- Allison Sydor
- Michael Andretti (although recently, he's being a dink).
- Scott Goodyear

Rules:

- Definitely F1 rules are way better than CART and NASCAR rules. Just because a guy spun off the course doesn't mean that you should yellow flag everybody for 10 boring laps.
- Money-wise, the more the company invests in the team as a whole, the better. There shouldn't be a cap for that.
- And there shouldn't be a cap for technological advancements either.

Regards,

Oz

bretfraz
I hear SCRA in Penn went down very well. Hoseheads message board has nothing but good reports. I listed to Knoxville Nationalsw on SCN every day, the King is the toughest man in racing period. In fact my engine building mate in Sydney knows him well, says he's just so competitive in everything he does. I'm ordering the videoof this yrs Nationals, not the same as being there though.

Yeah, the neon and i like to dodge cones together. She's a lot better at it than i am still!
 -

I hit the drag strip once in a while too, 15.04 @ 90.75 is my best thus far (I think she was mad that the 16 second nissan in the other lane with the nitrous redlighted on that run! ) On an average day it's more like 15.5 @ 89 or so.

The normal 150hp chrysler 2.0 DOHC engine. I don't think y'all down under got that engine in the neons.

I've made a few modifications, mostly a computer that re-maps the fuel and spark tables, a cool air intake, and a bunch of suspension tuning.

[ August 16, 2002, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: neonmike22 ]

I haven't posted in this thread which I started in a while ... because the racing I've seen hasn't exactly thrilled me. Most notably, WRC has taken a turn for the worst. After a couple of victories which have allowed Colin McRae to catch up to the championship points leader, here's how he finished the rally of Finland:

http://www.wrc.com/en_GB/Gallery/Photo/2002_R_FIN_McRaeFire3.htm

frown.gif

--- Bror Jace

Well folks, It's that time of year again. Speed Channel is running its coverage of the SCCA Valvoline Run-Offs, their national championships.
grin.gif
Time for me to resurrect this thread and ask a question.

In case you aren't familiar with this absolutely priceless racing, SCCA is the Sports Car Club of America. It is a large group of (mostly) amateur racers in the USA and they race everything you can run on a road course: open-wheel formula cars, sports prototypes, production, GT and showroom stock cars. Each type of racing has a number of classes in it reflecting cars which are more or less expensive and have varying amounts of horsepower. They also have a hand being the sanctioning body for other race series like Trans-Am, Speed World Challenge and stateside rallying. For an overview of the classes (around 40 in all) take a look at www.scca.org.

There are several SCCA regions throughout the country with their own competitors and every September, the championship drivers from each class in each region (along with their runners-ups) congregate at Mid-Ohio International Speedway for the SCCA NATIONAL championships, otherwise known as the Valvoline Run-Offs. In all, there are around 40 races over this 3-day weekend and Speed Channel covers every one of them. They tape them in September and run them from now until January or so since there is so little live autoracing over the winter. Tape delay re-runs or not, they are fantastic road races and well worth your leisure time. Many father-and-son teams, guys that actually build their own cars ... just fabulous racing featuring everyday people and interesting cars everyone can identify with.
grin.gif

So, how does this tie in to the overall topic of oils and lubrication?
confused.gif

Sponsorship, pure and simple.
grin.gif
Last year I noticed that 2 out of 3 cars advertised Red Line Oil. This brand of boutique oil is a favorite among these types of racers - usually small engines turning usually 8,000+ RPMs. This year, however, I noticed that Valvoline stickers appear on roughly half the participants ... maybe even more than half. But, can all these cars wearing those stickers actually be using off-the-shelf Valvoline Synpower synthetic (a generally unimpressive Group III oil with an indifferent additive package) or their straight-weight racing formulas which would produce a great amount of drag ... especially significant on the smaller, higher-RPM engines?
confused.gif

What is especially curious is the complete lack of any other oil sponsor. I've watched GT-4, Showroom Stock B, and Sports 2000 classes (F production on tape) but have not seen a single lube sponsor other than those two. Not one.

Now, I'm assuming it has something to do with Valvoline being the #1 sponsor of this event along with Red Line being a staple of this crowd. Does anyone know any of the deals which surrounded this event? Did Valvoline have any contingency money available to drivers showing their stickers on race cars? I'd really like to know what's going on behind the scenes.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

Bror, i wonder if it's a contingency sticker. It doesn't matter what oil is in the car, so long as the sticker is on your car advertising valvoline.

I see it quite a bit in drag racing where folks will have crane cams or nitto tires stickers on their car just for that particular event. The reason? Because there is a payout for those stickers on the car, even though they may have stock cams and goodyear tires or something.

Ignored this thread too long. Now it's huge.

Used to watch lots. F1, CART, rally, bikes. No oval. Road courses or point/point. Variety. Now I almost avoid it. I drove formula ford for a season but ran out of funds. Watching reminds me.
tongue.gif

Had to get up early to watch F1. When Schu was still driving green against red. 3:30am alarm, coffee's ready, sit 2' from the 31" tube. Pray for in-car shots. During commercials, plan progress from 1-man-pintos to Europe. ?? Mercifully, commercials end. That lasted to his first red seasons.

Stopping, mostly, it's good. Used to spend much of my time complaining about the producers/cameramen and their choices.
grin.gif

Don't think I saw anyone mention BTC racing. Those guys are nuts. It's like side/side rallye. Watching tricked out street cars bouncing off tires.. going on... bouncing again... How do I get to do that?
grin.gif

Or maybe stadium/Baja trucks/custom. Cool. Like two CR500's strapped together, and supercharged. What's racing without some air?
smile.gif

grin.gif
How much is speedvision again?

David

I have road raced bikes{D production,D superbike,Formula 2,B superbike} with WERA.
Dragrace a decent amount{both car and bike} and have done two AutoX events. Of all the racing, I like RR bikes the best. I'm older now and have had some injuries that somewhat stole my balls from me so the motorcycle racing is pretty much a fond memory for me. I'm really gonna get into the AutoX thing some more. The drag race thing is fun but once you try AutoX or RR, you will trow rocks at the strip. Gonna maybe try some SCCA spec RX7 or Spec. Miata stuff hopefully.
As far as what I watch- 1.Road race bikes,2.all the various production car road racing{touring car,gt,ect} 3.rally, 4.F1, 5.drag racing
Got to where I hate NASCAR,the only time I'll watch it is when they are on a road course or when nothing is on Discovery or History channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back