Racing oil filter vs Standard Oil filter

I was discussing Oil filters with my son as we prep the car for a HPDE.

I have to add here the car is used 60% street and 40% track events like Time Trials or HPDE’s.

If I were to use a regular filter, I would use the NAPA (WIX) 1060 which has an Anti-drain valve. Going to install the 1060 that filters 9 to 11 GPM at 21 microns Rather than the racing filter that has no anti drain, that filters 28 GPM at 60 microns. I must admit, I have no facts and data to back up my choice.

As we were discussing it I remembered my old saying: “Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.” So I couldn’t justify my statement with data. I technical bulletin from Chevrolet stating that a engine needs 9 GPM to be properly lubricated would have been nice.

Does anyone have an article or read somewhere that 9 to 11 GPM is sufficient when tracking a car. Do any racing teams use a standard filter?

Wix has 51060R* which has an antidrainback valve, but poor filtration efficiency like you mention

This cross references to Fram HP4 racing line which lists 10-18GPM, has a bypass, and 94%at 20micron.
But check this actual cross reference, because I see it on Wix website but not Fram.

The Fram seems to be in between the 2 you mention, so if that is the correct application that would be my choice without knowing much more.

IMO the Fram Racing filters are one of the best filters you can buy, period.

Good efficiency, good flow, good construction, and a screened bypass.

Just curious. What are you basing that on? I can’t ever recall reading a review on Fram Racing filters. So you may be right.

Just curious. What are you basing that on? I can’t ever recall reading a review on Fram Racing filters. So you may be right.
Seeing them cut open, stated flow and efficiency #s, etc.

Install a remote mount oil filter setup that holds 2 filters.
That will effectively double the flow rate.
It won't actually "double the flow rate" to the engine - but it will cut the delta-p across the filters. All that will do is ensure the filter(s) don't go into bypass and/or the PD oil pump doesn't hit pressure relief sooner than later due to filter delta-p.

Fram Racing filters are built like tanks; they may be a few % lower on filtration at 20 microns, but for what you gain in solid construction, for a “playtime” engine, it would be hard to argue against this filter line. 👍🏻

I was curious about the Fram HP regarding GPM. They filter 10 GPM. So the Fram HP is similar to the NAPA / Wix regular 1060 regarding GMP and micros removed.

Fram HP filters to 20 microns vs the Wix 21 microns
Fram HP flows 10 GPM vs the Wix 9 - 11 GPM.

Both seem to have an Bypass Relief Valve and Anti-drain back (not an issue for a Chevy).

Fram HP has a Bypass Relief Valve setting of 16 - 28 PSI. Still looking for the Wix specs

I was curious about the Fram HP regarding GPM. They filter 10 GPM. So the Fram HP is similar to the NAPA / Wix regular 1060 regarding GMP and micros removed.

Fram HP filters to 20 microns vs the Wix 21 microns
Fram HP flows 10 GPM vs the Wix 9 - 11 GPM.

Both seem to have an Bypass Relief Valve and Anti-drain back (not an issue for a Chevy).

Fram HP has a Bypass Relief Valve setting of 16 - 28 PSI. Still looking for the Wix specs
Where did you get 10gpm? Their site says 10-18gpm.

And this thread confirms that the gpm is designated by the model/application:

Nothing too wild, a 383/ 450 HP
Ok, that is pretty reasonable. If you aren't using a super thick oil and don't plan any startups below 32*F, a wire backed Fram Titanium would be my first suggestion so you can still have great filtration efficiency without sacrificing flow compared to a Wix XP or Purolator Boss.

If you're using an oil like 20w-50 or 10w-60 and you have a high volume or high pressure oil pump, I would first jump to a K&N with the weld-on nut, Fram Racing, or even a Ford Racing filter for extra burst strength.

Beyond that, Wix XP or Purolator Boss would get you filter media with a backing and higher burst strength, but the filtration efficiency falls off a cliff below 40 microns.

Back