Race Ready 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
My family competes in our local Cross Country (XC) ATV racing series. It is a bit of a struggle each off season to prepare our race quads for the next season. Each quad will require basic maintenance and a thorough going over to replace worn parts unique to each quad. All got new tires and shocks serviced, and the younger one moved up to a clutch quad, one of her sister's hand-me-downs. I can finally declare that all of my race quads are now ready for the 2014 season; and with 2 weeks to spare too. This past Sunday I posed them for a picture, turned-out ok, thought I would share.

IMG_6680_zps08acd3e8.jpg

Left to right: 16yo daughter's Kawasaki KFX450R, completing in Open C, 13yo daughter's Polaris Outlaw 450MXR, completing in Ladies C, wife's Polaris Ranger 570, race support vehicle, 11yo daughter's Yamaha Raptor 125, competing in PeeWee Expert, and my Polaris Scrambler 850HO, competing in Utility.

This will be our 7th season racing as a family. The girls have grown-up racing quads and have learned so much about themselves and the world that I couldn't think of a better way to raise my girls. My wife and I have questioned continuing to race many times over the years, but it has become the life our daughters love, they gave-up, or never started the traditional team sports that most youngsters take-up and later give-up. Quad racing is in their blood and will become a life-long sport for them, as it has me, I am sure.

That's awesome that you & your family are into riding and racing quads! I am a big ATV enthusiast myself but I am only a weekend warrior at it when I have time to load up and take a ride. Wish I could have got into cross country or motocross at a younger age.

Originally Posted By: johnnydc
Since this is (BITOG) I have to ask. What brand lubrication do you run in them there quads?

Yeah, that's a good question...here goes:
Kawasaki KFX450R currently runs Ipone Stroke 0w40
Polaris Outlaw 450MXR currently runs Elf 4Power 10w50
Polaris Ranger 570 currently runs Klotz UTV 0w40
Yamaha Raptor 125 currently runs Silkolene Pro 4 SX 15w50
and lastly,
Polaris Scrambler 850 HO currently runs Schaeffer's Racing 5w50.

Each quad gets the oil that is "best suited" for the engine and the rider and their shift feel if that makes and sense.

Originally Posted By: johnnydc
Why don't you stick with one brand?

You would think that would be easier, but I have this endless fasination with motor oil and am always on the hunt for something new to try, and then of course take a UOA to see how it performs. At one time I ran Amsoil Motorcyle 10w40 in everything but have since deviated pretty far from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back