2014 Accord Sport 6MT Good Bye Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
The time has come for the final review of this sedan. In late 2013 we bought it new. Always gets EPA fuel economy or better. (24 city 34 highway 28 combined) 73,000 trouble free miles. This car took us on many great trips and took the bulk of our mileage. It did everything an Accord should: Never break down, run well, be comfortable, hold value, ect. These cars are a joy to drive with a buttery smooth manual transmission. One weird thing, they like to have new trans fluid every 30k for best performance, but its an easy two quart drain and fill. Oil changes couldn't be easier, exactly 5 quarts of oil and everything is easy to get to. Each OCI was Fram XG and Mobil 1 0w20 based solely on the oil life monitor. Some OCI it would be up to a quart low, some OCI it was still nearly full. Not sure how that worked out but oil consumption was never an issue.

The level of power is adequate to good depending on what you are used to. The overall comfort in the seats and ride is pretty good.

I give this car a very high recommendation for anyone who can drive a stick and needs a good family car in the low 5 digit price range.

Here is a shot (if upload works) of it at the bank where the new owner was getting financed. I did a full detail and paint correction on it before he came to see it and the buyer was hooked at first sight. It sold within days to the first interested party. Thanks Honda!

We let it go in order to: upgrade, take advantage of a new bank's promotional interest rate (1.99% for any newer car), and my wife was ready to throw in the towel on driving manuals. This is the type of car you can literally drive forever if you take good care of it. What takes its place as the primary family and road trip vehicle? A ridiculously discounted and well optioned 2018 Buick Regal Tourx Essense. Yep, i'm in my 30s and bought a new buick. Never thought i'd say that.

IMG_1746.jpg

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Waiting for the TourX review and pics.

That will come in a few months when i have more seat time. A pic of it from Thursday in Mesquite Nevada. I drove it home from Vegas, about 400 miles of seat time, and it is super comfortable to drive. The radar cruise feature is much more useful/cool than i thought it would be. I wasn't tired at all from the long drive so i stayed up detailing the Accord for the new buyer to come see it that following morning. The TourX is tuned for comfort in the suspension, the transmission shifting, ect. If you want to relax and enjoy the ride more so than race around it is a good option. I still like to daily drive my Golf wagon more but i love to drive or even just sit in the back seat of the TourX on the nights and weekends.

IMG_1732.jpg

Last edited:
How much did you get for the Accord?

Good luck with the Buick. Hope you get 75,000 trouble free miles from it and more.

Originally Posted by ammolab
The can't defeat stop start thing?...not so much.
You can buy an aftermarket device to take care of it if it bothers you too much.

The accord went for slightly less than my 11,990 asking price, a value roughly in between full retail book and nada trade in. I think the buyer and seller got a good deal considering all factors. AutoNation GMC offered 10k for it.

The buick auto start stop thing works well and is smooth but i would rather disable it and likely will in the not too distant future. Buicks have such a nice long warranty or i would go for a tune right away.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dareo
The time has come for the final review of this sedan. In late 2013 we bought it new. Always gets EPA fuel economy or better. (24 city 34 highway 28 combined) 73,000 trouble free miles. This car took us on many great trips and took the bulk of our mileage. It did everything an Accord should: Never break down, run well, be comfortable, hold value, ect. These cars are a joy to drive with a buttery smooth manual transmission. One weird thing, they like to have new trans fluid every 30k for best performance, but its an easy two quart drain and fill. Oil changes couldn't be easier, exactly 5 quarts of oil and everything is easy to get to. Each OCI was Fram XG and Mobil 1 0w20 based solely on the oil life monitor. Some OCI it would be up to a quart low, some OCI it was still nearly full. Not sure how that worked out but oil consumption was never an issue.

The level of power is adequate to good depending on what you are used to. The overall comfort in the seats and ride is pretty good.

I give this car a very high recommendation for anyone who can drive a stick and needs a good family car in the low 5 digit price range.

Here is a shot (if upload works) of it at the bank where the new owner was getting financed. I did a full detail and paint correction on it before he came to see it and the buyer was hooked at first sight. It sold within days to the first interested party. Thanks Honda!

We let it go in order to: upgrade, take advantage of a new bank's promotional interest rate (1.99% for any newer car), and my wife was ready to throw in the towel on driving manuals. This is the type of car you can literally drive forever if you take good care of it. What takes its place as the primary family and road trip vehicle? A ridiculously discounted and well optioned 2018 Buick Regal Tourx Essense. Yep, i'm in my 30s and bought a new buick. Never thought i'd say that.

I've heard nothing but good about these cars! It's a shame this one never got any miles on it really. Why are you dumping it? It's practically new.

Last edited:
The accord went for slightly less than my 11,990 asking price, a value roughly in between full retail book and nada trade in. I think the buyer and seller got a good deal considering all factors. AutoNation GMC offered 10k for it.

The buick auto start stop thing works well and is smooth but i would rather disable it and likely will in the not too distant future. Buicks have such a nice long warranty or i would go for a tune right away.

OOF. Woulda sold it to GMC instead of only taking 11,9 for it. Taxes are a thing, and dealing with people to sell it sucks.

My wife has been mentioning that she would like her next car to be automatic. So i have been trying to get her interested in the TourX for a long time. She finally agreed to it largely to make me happy and because it was so cheap. Anything else with comparable features would have been way more money. Tourx was 30% off, how could we not buy it?!

Yes the Accord could have been driven for 10-20 more years without a doubt.

Originally Posted by Ws6

OOF. Woulda sold it to GMC instead of only taking 11,9 for it. Taxes are a thing, and dealing with people to sell it sucks.

The tax savings on 10k is only 725.00 for my city and state. So i'm still ahead over 1k and it went to a cool new owner instead dealer profits. It was so easy to sell. We left thursday and i posted a one picture ad, guy was setting up a time to see it before we even made it out of the dealer in vegas.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6

The tax savings on 10k is only 725.00 for my city and state. So i'm still ahead over 1k and it went to a cool new owner instead dealer profits. It was so easy to sell. We left thursday and i posted a one picture ad, guy was setting up a time to see it before we even made it out of the dealer in vegas.

That's good, I just hate dealing with people when I don't have to, and woulda taken the hit to avoid it unless I had a buyer lined up or something.

My wife has been mentioning that she would like her next car to be automatic. So i have been trying to get her interested in the TourX for a long time. She finally agreed to it largely to make me happy and because it was so cheap. Anything else with comparable features would have been way more money. Tourx was 30% off, how could we not buy it?!

Yes the Accord could have been driven for 10-20 more years without a doubt.

Makes sense. What features do the TourX have that are so class exclusive? I didn't look at them because I don't want a wagon, but am curious?

TourX has great infotainment, radar cruise, lane keep, heated seats and wheel, its just got a lot of great stuff that would need a top trim in something like a Pilot or Pacifica and really push the price up over this deal. Our tourx thankfully has no sunroof, but for sunroof fans it has a really nice pano roof option. Remote start, power tailgate, decent bose stereo, LTE wifi hotspot, honestly i dont even know all the stuff it has at this time. Important thing is to make sure is has both of the tech packages on top of the essense trim.

TourX has great infotainment, radar cruise, lane keep, heated seats and wheel, its just got a lot of great stuff that would need a top trim in something like a Pilot or Pacifica and really push the price up over this deal. Our tourx thankfully has no sunroof, but for sunroof fans it has a really nice pano roof option. Remote start, power tailgate, decent bose stereo, LTE wifi hotspot, honestly i dont even know all the stuff it has at this time. Important thing is to make sure is has both of the tech packages on top of the essense trim.

That is a class-leading steal! I had to spend $33K to get similar!

Yeah i dont think i will ever get the chance to see such a high discount % ever again. Keep in mind this was with credit union financing and no trade in. Dealers usually require taking a bad loan and a lowball offer on your trade to get the really low advertised prices. I am in car nerd heaven with two wagons in the garage!

We have our ‘16 CR-V that shares many components with your Accord; we haven't changed even a bulb at the car thus far, so we do reflect and concur your experience in that regard; GL with the Buick

Originally Posted by miden851
We have our ‘16 CR-V that shares many components with your Accord; we haven't changed even a bulb at the car thus far, so we do reflect and concur your experience in that regard; GL with the Buick

To be fair, at such low miles, is anyone really having issues with a vehicle from any quality manufacturer?

CR V is a great vehicle, and that is the problem. Everyone has one, they sell for really high prices new and used. I really like the TourX exclusivity. I tell people i bought a new buick and they say "A Buick??" I say well its really made in germany....

CR V is a great vehicle, and that is the problem. Everyone has one, they sell for really high prices new and used. I really like the TourX exclusivity. I tell people i bought a new buick and they say "A Buick??" I say well its really made in germany....

While Audi is made in Mexico, lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back