Quote to add an outside electrical outlet

Sure...this was just for convenience and not needed so we are just not going to do it. As I said, we are planing a larger interior remodel and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to call this guy for a quote.
I would have responded to that quote.

“That’s too bad you quoted yourself out of this smaller job. We’re planning a large interior remodel soon, but it seems like you’re not interested”

Or something like that to let him know you won’t be using him for your next larger project.

Im sure it irks some people, but I tend to type up a short list of what I want done for stuff like this. Every single time I rely on someone else there is, at the very least, some form of wasted time/money due to miscommunication.

I don’t explain how to do the job, but simply state what I want, the quality I want (if there are options), and any planning info, as necessary. Seems to help.

Even when I used to have vehicles with warranties and used the dealer for warranty work I’d ask them to read me the line item in the work order. Nine times out of ten it was wrong. Oddly enough I haven’t had this issue with my latest indie. Oh, and guess what? If they have questions they call and discuss it!

Dealer work order: “C/S noise while turning.“
Me: my explanation is literally two sentences long. Please type it as it’s shown on the piece of paper I just handed you…

Sure...this was just for convenience and not needed so we are just not going to do it. As I said, we are planing a larger interior remodel and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to call this guy for a quote.
I agree. I know enough to be dangerous about electrical. My son is an apprentice electrician 2 years out of school and I know he could complete that job in an hour or 2.

I had a breaker and 60' of #6 copper ran from the service panel under the house to a new NEMA 14-50 recepticle in the garage for $600 all in, including tip. A union electrician came and did it in his spare time.

Good luck.

I had a breaker and 60' of #6 copper ran from the service panel under the house to a new NEMA 14-50 recepticle in the garage for $600 all in, including tip. A union electrician came and did it in his spare time.

Good luck.
That’s about what I was going expecting.

I ran a new dedicated 30 amp 220 circuit out of the panel in the garage, fished it up into the attic, across the attic to the opposite corner of a 3 car garage, fished it down the wall into a junction box, and then installed a 6 foot pigtail (whip) to extend it to a 5000 watt ceiling hung electric heater.

Took less than a day (including hanging the 5000 watt heater) Materials were $200. Had a retired licensed electrician watching me while I made the connections at both ends (LOL).

I'd hate to know what the quote would be for that work.

Add 12-gauge wire to run back to panel, new circuit breaker, misc conduit bits, and labor for trenching/burying the wire between the house and garage.
Where did you come up with THAT? The OP posted that it's literally a 6' run to the box.

Does that include running the wire back to the load center for a new 20 amp circuit?

If I were having an electrician give me a quote for a new outlet, I would make it very clear that I didn't want a new circuit and wanted the outlet tapped off an existing outlet nearby.
Code limits the number of outlets on a breaker. On a true 20 amp plug/circuit the number is one. If your using the "piggy back" method, in my area your limited to 5 fifteen amp plugs per 20 amp breaker.

Code limits the number of outlets on a breaker.

No it does not, barring a local code amendment.

On a true 20 amp plug/circuit the number is one. If your using the "piggy back" method, in my area your limited to 5 fifteen amp plugs per 20 amp breaker.

I find it hard to believe that there is a local code amendment that limits the number of outlets as you describe.

It probably would be more now, as I did mine 6 or 7 years ago.
Lowes had one of the packaged setups (box, outlet, gasket) for $5.99.
With the wire (and I did upgrade the outlet) I was right
Add 12-gauge wire to run back to panel, new circuit breaker, misc conduit bits, and labor for trenching/burying the wire between the house and garage.
Since he said, there was an electrical outlet right on that wall on the interior, he could easily install an outlet on the exterior.

Even if he did not do it using that interior outlet box, no trenching is involved it’s only 6 feet away from the breaker panel

This really is a no-brainer, run a wire into the existing interior box and put a box on the exterior less than 50 bucks

Stupid question, but is the rest of your garage Ground Fault and do you have space in your panel? Maybe he is quoting to bring the entire think up to code? Even still, sounds crazy priced and as such he should have explained all that was needed and provided an itemized quote.

Just get some more bids, or ask around your neighbors if they know someone.

Stupid question, but is the rest of your garage Ground Fault and do you have space in your panel? Maybe he is quoting to bring the entire think up to code? Even still, sounds crazy priced and as such he should have explained all that was needed and provided an itemized quote.

Just get some more bids, or ask around your neighbors if they know someone.
I agree with you I’m not, so sure we have the whole story

I had a local electrician come out to give me quote to add an electrical outlet to the outside back of the garage. To give some context, the garage is unfinished and there is an existing outlet inside the garage right next we where we want the outlet on the outside of the garage. I figured make a hole, wire on the new outlet with the existing wires and done - maybe a couple hundred bucks? We have vinyl siding and it seems pretty straight forward.

The quote was $1906.00 to add a 20-amp outlet.

Does that seem crazy?
Wow, im a retired contractor and for me to send someone out local it would have been probably an hour service call. $95 plus material. Drilling a hole and adding a wp gfi is pretty easy work.

I'm so tired of the attitude of local contractors. So many of them want nothing to do with "little jobs" but people still need little jobs done. Better yet, little jobs lead to bigger jobs and we are about to start planning a remodel.
My guys unionized and it was impossible to do service calls. $95 hour including travel and a minimum 8hr day.

Code limits the number of outlets on a breaker. On a true 20 amp plug/circuit the number is one. If your using the "piggy back" method, in my area your limited to 5 fifteen amp plugs per 20 amp breaker.
Something must have changed or its a local code. Ive never seen a limit on outlets. 5 receptacles could easily be overloaded or no load at all. Depends on what they are used for. Im retired so excuse me if the NAC has changed. Its hard to keep up with code changes when you no longer work.

Back