Quickie Lubes; which one? Or?

Sometimes family and friends ask me where to get an oil change.
Since I have never used one, do you have any suggestions?
Is there much benefit to use, say a Honda dealer vs Quickie Lube?
Price difference?

I am specifically asking about Oceanside, CA. Camp Pendleton Marine Corp Base.

I appreciate your guidance.
This hurts, by the way...

Last edited:
for my $$, the best is one of the AAA owned car care centers.
They only use Syn (Around here Havoline Synthetic, and Napa Gold Filters), and are reasonably priced..$42.99 for AAA Members, $45.88 for Non members.
of course, that pricing my vary from club to club, and City to city....

Here's the nearest locations to ZIP 95033:
losgatos.png

yes, the member price ends up right around $50 OTD, but that's still a good $20 Cheaper than most Quicklubes will charge for a Synthetic Oil Change....

You are wise to ask specifically for your area. Lube shops provide anything from stellar service, to the kind of poor service that ends up on the local news.

There is a Top Lube Express here in my town that the locals rave about. It is a family owned business, and the family members that run the place take real pride in providing top notch service. I personally have never paid anyone to do an oil change / lube job on one of my cars, so I can't speak from personal experience. But I believe there are a lot of shops like this one around the country. It is a matter of asking, as you are, to find out where they are. Unfortunately the bad lube shops give the whole industry a bad reputation.

Price difference?

I would be leery of any shop around a Marine Corp base, go with a AAA recommendation.

I’d pick the dealer, the techs probably have somewhat of training rather than quick lubes. They also see that same car all the time instead of all different types so if it’s got belly pans they will know how to properly remove it instead of mangling it.

I’ve been pleased with the Ford Quicklane shops in my area. For one thing, they use genuine Motorcraft filters and oil.

It used to be on perma-sale for $39. Nowadays you have to pay the full $49 more often than not. They rotate your tires for that, so still not a bad deal.

They never try to up sell me. If you bring your own oil they will knock $20 off the price. Sometimes I see the same tech from one visit to another.

It’s been a few years, but the last time I checked, Motorcraft oil was almost exactly the same as Honda oil.

I always try to be there when they open, but if I’m not, I usually notice a line of very well preserved older cars ahead of me.

Price difference?

Pendleton probably has an auto service center on base.

Most Navy/Marine Corps bases have one. The mechanics are salaried and do a good job at a fair price.

Your niece can drop off her car in the morning, pick it up that afternoon.

Better, have her sign up at the auto hobby shop. Lift rental is cheap. Tool rental is free. She buys the oil and filter her Uncle Jeff recommends.

There will be Marines falling over themselves to help her. She learns about her car, you know it’s done right.

If I'm gettin' lubed I prefer they take their time.

In any case all we have around here is Jiffy Lube and Valvoline

just pull up Yelp and read reviews on the exact locations around you.
Yelp is the least trustworthy source ever. It’s an extortion ring. Anyone with all positive reviews pays Yelp to boost the positive reviews and bury or get rid of the negative reviews.

As a business owner I did not hear from Yelp until there was a negative review. A few days later Yelp called offering services to essentially get rid of the one bad and promote the good. When I refused most of my good reviews disappeared all together and the bad review went to the top. A few days later they called again to see if I could wanted to “reconsider”?

I have +500 Google reviews with an average of 4.8 out 5.0 stars so I told them to go **** themselves.

Yelp is the least trustworthy source ever. It’s an extortion ring. Anyone with all positive reviews pays Yelp to boost the positive reviews and bury or get rid of the negative reviews.

As a business owner I did not hear from Yelp until there was a negative review. A few days later Yelp called offering services to essentially get rid of the one bad and promote the good. When I refused most of my good reviews disappeared all together and the bad review went to the top. A few days later they called again to see if I could wanted to “reconsider”?

I have +500 Google reviews with an average of 4.8 out 5.0 stars so I told them to go **** themselves.
Holy smokes, that’s crazy!

There was a period time about 6 years ago where I was commuting 240 miles 5 days per week for about a year and so the 7500 mile OCI in my Mazda3 was coming up every 6 weeks or so. The auto expenses were being paid for by my employer and I was too exhausted on weekends to do it so I used quick lubes. Firestone was the best by far, they used Kendall at the time, it was the same guys in the shop and no problems. Most other places seemed like there was a constant turnover of people and I rarely saw the same faces twice. Valvoline wasn’t bad either. They seemed a little less “polished” than the Firestone guys but again I had no issues.

None of them around me are trustworthy or worth anything. They use fake bulk oil and strip and round drain plugs constantly too. A few times they even sent cars out with no oil. I left that place as soon as I could. The last straw was when a batch of the fake bulk oil came in that was pitch black and had metal shavings in it. I knew when I first started something was up when they had a no name company delivering oil who filled up the tanks with the same oil. I’d research the ones in your area some are great some are terrible like the one I worked at.

None of them around me are trustworthy or worth anything. They use fake bulk oil and strip and round drain plugs constantly too. A few times they even sent cars out with no oil. I left that place as soon as I could. The last straw was when a batch of the fake bulk oil came in that was pitch black and had metal shavings in it. I knew when I first started something was up when they had a no name company delivering oil who filled up the tanks with the same oil. I’d research the ones in your area some are great some are terrible like the one I worked at.
Fake bulk= Synthetic??🤪

Back