Quick High Mileage Oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

It has been a while since I posted in the PCMO forum as I got a motorcycle and mainly drive and use that now but since I have two cars I still need to change the oil on them. I am sure I have probably asked this before but since it has been so long I wanted to get some updated input.

I am going to go with a HM oil and presume any name brand will be fine but as for grade I wanted to know which would be best for my two Volvo's. I am thinking the 10w30 variety in either Pennzoil or Havoline and wanted to see if you all agree with that. My two Volvo's have the same engine here are the makes 1994 Volvo 945 and 1985 Volvo 244GL both with a lot of miles on them.

I appreciate any input you can provide. Thank you.

10w=30 sounds like a good weight for your area. I would also consider Maxlife Blend. It has worked well for me in everything it has gone in.

All HM oils are not the same. Some are GP IV synthetic, some are GP III synthetic, some are GP III/II synthetic blends, and some are all conventional. Add packs vary, greatly, also.

Mobil 1 HM, Valvoline synthetic MaxLife, and Valvoline MaxLife synthetic blend are the best, and probably in that order.

Thank you for the input and maybe the Mobil 1 HM would be a good option since it is easy to find at WalMart but I rarely see the synthetic MaxLife version.

Originally Posted By: coffee
Thank you for the input and maybe the Mobil 1 HM would be a good option since it is easy to find at WalMart but I rarely see the synthetic MaxLife version.

I was in the Walmart in Middlesboro, KY, one day last week when they were bringing in oil from a truck. A man came back to the tire and lube counter with 4 large carts. He bought all the 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 5W-30 TSUV, all the 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 10W-30 HM, what ever MaxLife synthetic came in, all the MaxLife Blend 10W-40, and all the Valvoline WB in 10W-40. I couldn't keep my mouth shut. He said he owned a Mom and Pop tire and lube place. He said he only used Mobil 1 and Valvoline and he could buy it cheaper, much cheaper, than he could get it from any distributor. He said he did this about two times a month from this Walmart and about 4 or 5 times a month from other Walmarts combined.

When he checked out it was, I think, $1,286.00, and that is without tax as he had a tax number.

I have seen pickup truck loads of various things go out of Walmart to Mom and Pop type stores and businesses.

This probably explains why the Mobil 1 sections at my two local Walmart Supercenters are always so empty... I have to get lucky whenever I want to purchase a 5-quart jug of M1EP 5W-30. They should put some kind of limit on how many jugs can be purchased at one time, if this is what is going on. It's not really fair to the average consumer.

Last edited:
Wow, that is amazing to here! I usually see the Mobil 1 HM at my WalMart so I should be good to go. Do you think the 10w30 will be better for my Volvo's than the 10w40?

Wow, that is amazing to here! I usually see the Mobil 1 HM at my WalMart so I should be good to go. Do you think the 10w30 will be better for my Volvo's than the 10w40?

IMO, either will be fine. The 10w-30 has a markedly lower pour point. This is hardly an issue in Aridzona, but the BITOG consensus is that the low PP indicates a higher % of group 4/5 base oils. (If that matters to you.
wink.gif
)

With what passes for 'winter' coming on strong
crackmeup2.gif
, I'd go with the 10w-30.

The Volvo engines really like a 40 wt. Use your choice of any 15W-40, and the engines will do well. We're in a moderate summer climate and cold (not frigid) winter climate. 5W-40 works great in our Volvo.

Originally Posted By: FrankN4

I was in the Walmart in Middlesboro, KY, one day last week when they were bringing in oil from a truck. A man came back to the tire and lube counter with 4 large carts. He bought all the 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 5W-30 TSUV, all the 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 10W-30 HM, what ever MaxLife synthetic came in, all the MaxLife Blend 10W-40, and all the Valvoline WB in 10W-40. I couldn't keep my mouth shut. He said he owned a Mom and Pop tire and lube place. He said he only used Mobil 1 and Valvoline and he could buy it cheaper, much cheaper, than he could get it from any distributor. He said he did this about two times a month from this Walmart and about 4 or 5 times a month from other Walmarts combined.

When he checked out it was, I think, $1,286.00, and that is without tax as he had a tax number.

I have seen pickup truck loads of various things go out of Walmart to Mom and Pop type stores and businesses.

We've got a guy that does the same thing here, buys up all the M1 and valvoline. I guess it's no big secret that oil can't be found any cheaper anywhere else!

One more quick question. I picked up the Pennzoil High Mileage 10w30 yesterday but before I put it in I wanted to check and see if this was one of the better non-full-synthetics or if I should choose a different brand. The prices varied quite a bit from name brand and this seemed to be the least expensive but that may mean it is not the best option. What do you all think?

Penz HM is a decent oil, I used it for a few fills on my old cars (IIRC it lowered my oil usage a bit). As far as - is it the best? Who knows. It will not do any harm.
What are all your options?
We have the following in our WalMart (limited weights)

• Mobil HM
  • Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic
  • Valvoline MaxLife Semi-Synth
  • Penzoil HM
  • Castrol GTX HM

Out of that only Penz & GTX are dino.

Last edited:
Well, I took the Pennzoil HM back tonight and went with the Castrol GTX HM. I am sure it will be a great oil and work well in the Volvo's. Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back