Motorcraft 5w20 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I wanted to get some input regarding this oil. I just picked up two 5qt. jugs at Wal-Mart for a good deal but I am not too familiar with the product. It looked like a good deal and I have heard good things in a few posts regarding it but here is my situation: I own two Volvo's, one a 1985 244GL with 362k on it and the other a 1994 945 series with 133k on it. Will this oil be okay for my two cars year around since I live in Phoenix, Arizona? The Motorcraft site states the oil is good for desert driving as well but I just wanted some other feedback before commiting to year around use. Also, what kind of OCI can I get from this oil? Thank you for any input you can provide and forgive me if this has been discussed in the past but I could not find the right post to answer my questions.

Your volvo 244GL is not designed to run on 5W20.

(Ditto with your 945).

You may give it a try but at the end if you find that you have some low (dull) rapping sound during hard acceleration, you know that you have excessive lower end bearing clearance to run on 5W20. In that case, 10W30 or 10W40 should be your lifesaver.

p.s. some European cars aren't meant to run on 5W20.

Thank you very much for the input and I am bummed as it seemed like a good oil.
frown.gif
Oh well, I will find another oil then.
smile.gif

I suspicious when someone with the user name rotellasyn ask a question like this, but i shall digress...

Your volvos need either a 10w30 or 5w40. If you have not opened the jugs, walmart should let you exchange it.

The "official" oil of Volvo is Castrol. Walmart has the 5 quart jugs of Castrol Syntec blend for around 16 bucks, and their regular oil for around 12 bucks.

If you are looking for a good bargain, try the TropArtic 10w30 if your walmart carries it, or even plain old Walmart brand 10w30 would work fine.

Thank you all for the input. I am disappointed as I had already changed it on one of the Volvo's but I can return the other bottle anc change the oil out. I didn't think it would be a big deal but I don't want to risk anything.

If your oil level doesn't drop quickly, run it the duration and get a UOA. You wouldn't be the 1st to get good results from a thinner than recommended Visc. Keep track of gas usage for kicks.

At operating temperature the MC 5W-20 is almost the same viscosity as your average 10W-30 grade oil. If your engine is not worn excessively and the load of your car is average then you should be able to use the oil. If you do mostly short trips then this oil may excel in performance over the 30 wt. oil. To be sure, drop your current oil and send it off for testing. Use the MC for 1,000 miles and send some off for another analysis and compare.

aehaas

You all are awesome! I love getting all the input and thank you for giving me some information. I may go ahead and let the oil run its course and then switch to a 10w30. Does anyone recommend or know which 10w30 would be best, dino/synthetic/brand?

No way would I run 5W20 in a Volvo red block in the Arizona summer conditions. Volvo specified 15W-40 for high temperature operation in that engine and 10W-30 for sub dessert operating conditions. For the $10 cost of an oil change I would not mess around.

Well, this is the input I needed and greatly appreciate. I will probably go with Delo 400 15w40 as it is a good oil and should work fine for Arizona heat. Thank you all.

FYI..Motorcraft Synthetic Blend not only is available in 5w20 but also 5w30 & 10w30. Maybe one of the other grades could satisfy your application.

MOTORCRAFT is bottled by HALVOLINE or is it CONOCO PHILIPS the same as TROPARCTIC and KENDALL GT-1 synblend . Sorry , short term memory .
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back