Questions for a 04 Harley Twin Cam 88 ci

I just bought a new to me Electra Glide. Its an 04 and had 18k for milage. I bought it from a friend who had only owned the bike for about 6 months so I don't really know the history on it, but it runs great. I think its had some motor work done, but at least pipes and air cleaner. It has a engine temperature gauge installed in place of the original air temp gauge. My question is about the oil pressure. When I first fire up the motorcycle, the oil pressure is just about at 30 pounds per the factory gauge at idle. When I ride about 20 miles and let the bike ride idle, the pressure on the gauge only shows about 5 to maybe 10 pounds. The engine temp gets to around 220 and its been stupid hot here, last ride it was 99 when I left and cooled to 90 as I returned. I am in Northern California and it's forecasted to be between 103 to 111 for the next seven days. (I hate the summers here)

The bike had a recent oil change in all three holes with Mobil 1 20-50. My question is, should I worry about this? Is the pressure too low?

I got lots of other questions too, but this it my main one. I am interested in what oil filter is best for my bike and what oil I should run.

Thanks,
Travis

I have owned a few twin cam 88s. I also had the oil pressure gauge on my E Glide. It's perfectly normal. These are roller bearing engines and don't need a lot of pressure.

From my experience with my Twin Cams your pressure is very normal. I prefer something a little heavier in the Tranny but many
use what you are with good results. If your shifting is clunky try some Redline with Shockproof.

Thanks for making me feel better about this non-issue guys! I was planning on running Shockproof at my next change. What oil filter you guys running? Lot's of discussion about different motor oils here, but I have not seen much on filters.

My 103 has VR1 20W50 mineral + Belray V-Twin primary fluid and V-Twin transmission fluid. HiFlo 171B as filter.

I tried Shockproof but I did not see any change in transmission behaviour (noise) so I went back to Belray. My Evo uses same fluids.

I’ve used the K&N 171C oil filter on my last 3 Harley’s with no problems. Plus the 17 mm nut on the base makes changing the filter very easy. Your oil pressure is normal. I also use the Valvoline Vr1 mineral and Belray Vtwin primary oil as well as Shockproof in the transmission. Having said that, your oil choice for all 3 holes is fine.

Ball and roller bottom ends don't need pressure, they just need flow, the pressure will just be caused by restrictions in oil passage ways.

Even in plain journal bearings, the supply oil pressure doesn't really add any bearing performance in terms of MOFT. The pressure is there to supply oil that the journal bearing will naturally flow from rotation, plus some added flow from the supply pressure forcing flow through the bearing. More oil pressure will result in more flow than the journal bearing can naturally flow just from it's roatation, and therefore a little bit more bearing cooling will result from the extra flow, but that's about it.

Agree with what everyone else said. FYI H-D upgraded the oil pump and cam tensioners in 2007 with the 96" motor. Nothing to worry about but if your bike has over 25,000 or so miles have the cam chain tensioners inspected.

Agree with what everyone else said. FYI H-D upgraded the oil pump and cam tensioners in 2007 with the 96" motor. Nothing to worry about but if your bike has over 25,000 or so miles have the cam chain tensioners inspected.
Very good point. I went gear drive cams in my 04 along with a big bore setup. Ended up with a bullet proof combo.

I’d recommend gear oil for the transmission instead of motor oil. I had a 01 dyna which I sold to a friend 8 years ago. After almost 80000 miles ,I’d say the amsoil severe gear 75-110 was a good choice for the 5 speed.

Back