Questionable Recipes and Concoctions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sprintman
Ketchup on anything is worse than anything.

I'm sorry to hear you have only really awfully bad ketchup in Oz.
48.gif

Boil and reduce a cup of quality balsamic vinegar untill it is a thick syrup. drizzel on strawberrys and ENJOY. Very good!!

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Boil and reduce a cup of quality balsamic vinegar untill it is a thick syrup. drizzel on strawberrys and ENJOY. Very good!!

You do realize that an ounce "quality balsamic vinegar" costs at least $40, right? What you consider balsamic vinegar really is just vinegar. Real balsamic vinegar can go on strawberries as it is.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Originally Posted By: rg200amp

You do realize that an ounce "quality balsamic vinegar" costs at least $40, right? What you consider balsamic vinegar really is just vinegar. Real balsamic vinegar can go on strawberries as it is.

My grand pop used to make it all the time. He brought this idea back from Italy when he was stationed there during WWII. Boil it down to a syrup. Thats the recipe. A lot of restraunts in philly have been offering this on there brunch menus for some odd reason. . .
21.gif

$40 bucks an ounce????? There are countless brands and types that are not even close to that price.
http://www.chefdepot.net/balsamic.htm
http://www.cooksshophere.com/products/vinegar.htm#Artiginale
http://www.marxfoods.com/Aged-Balsamic-Vinegar
http://www.shopbalsamicvinegar.com/

You do not need to pay 100+ dollars a bottle to get a quality Balsamic. Perhaps your balsamic dealer has been pulling one over on ya!!
grin2.gif

You are sorely misinformed. What can legally be sold as "balsamic" in the US is a joke, because it's just vinegar. You can't simply reduce vinegar and make balsamic. Making a batch balsamic takes years. Read up on it. No offense to your gramps intended...

In presenting a "questionable recipe or concoction," you have however hit a bullseye with your guck!
11.gif

I've really wanted to make proper Balsamic for ages.

It's a project that likely fits my various project timelines.

Raging Bull territory ?

Does the Northern Territory count as a reasonable facsimile ?

12 years...who was the first person to try vinegar that had been left in a barrel for 12 years, and why ?

I can make a project go for 12 years, ask my Missus about the dining room tiles...

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Raging Bull territory ?

You should see the bull they are commonly passing off as balsamic here. Caramel-colored and flavored vinegar with who-knows-what else in it. You can find real balsamic only in specialty food stores here.

Quote:
Does the Northern Territory count as a reasonable facsimile ?

I wouldn't know. When did they start making it? If they started six years ago, then they should have a decent batch in another six years ready!
wink.gif

Quote:
12 years...who was the first person to try vinegar that had been left in a barrel for 12 years, and why ?

A very thirsty man?
48.gif

Quote:
I can make a project go for 12 years, ask my Missus about the dining room tiles...

Your boss is too lenient!

I food the food my way, you food the food your way!
wink.gif

Wot's that, guv'nor? Who doesn't like ketchup? I mean, do you slop mayo on your chips? I lurve organic ketchup! Pip-pip, cheerio!

Only seen a couple brands of ketchup down here.

There's a Heinz one, plus the one at Hungry Jacks (LOL, at their story), and McDonalds...I think botht the latter use Heinz.

Down here, we have good honest De'd 'Horse, rather than ketchup...ketsup marni is starting to make inroads.

tabasco on spinach
golden mushroom soup concentrate on pork chops
peanut butter AND cheddar on triscuits

My dad used to eat peanut butter and mayonaise sandwiches.
37.gif
My mom made cream cheese and jelly sandwiches. They're perfect for each other. Buying school lunch couldn't have come quickly enough for me!

What a typo!
90% of the people here just spent 5 minutes reading the ketchup label...

Originally Posted By: Julian
What a typo!

+1.

Originally Posted By: Julian
What a typo!
Yup...And I still don't get it.
The only really odd food combo for me just happened recently. I've found that lately I cannot eat a beef snack stick without potato chips. I love the texture combination of the soft meat and crunchy chips.

Other than that, I'm pretty normal...My phobia of eating meat off a bone notwithstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back