Question: What car...

Status
Not open for further replies.
traded a 2001 ford escape v-6(155k miles) for a 2013 hyundai elantra .

The escapes transmission was failing. The elantra was the right size for my wife, compared it to the kia forte, the civic, nothing in toyota interested us. After driving it the elantra was the better car.

Had an 2002 sonata. Great car. Couldn't have asked more from it. Really a quality Hyundai product. Gave it to my brother with over 100k because he needed a reliable ride after his moneypit dodge neon.

Bought the Azera from a private party. Hoping the reliability is as good as the sonata. Hyundai hooked me. I was originally looking for a civic si but I couldn't beat the deal I got for the car and Hyundai reliability(first hand experience. I work at a Honda dealership btw)

We traded an 01 Accord for the Highlander because the Accord only had two doors.

We traded an 03 Civic for a minivan because it only had two doors.

Somewhere in there we had a four door Accord as well, but with three kids that went away too.

There is a lesson in here somewhere about birth control, but until a wise school district pays me to come and speak to them about the massive cost of constantly rotating cars for no other reason than a lack of planning I'm keeping it all to myself. (spoiler alert: the grand finalie is our daycare bill).

Last edited:
We went from an 02 Jetta TDI, hated it, To an 03 Cadillac CTS, loved it, and then to a 2007 Equinox. The main reason was we needed more room. The Cadillac was fine and we put just shy of 155,000 miles on it. The Equinox has been good, not real exciting mind you, but pretty much bullet proof.

I don't want to discuss the Jetta, it will upset me!

Traded in : 1997 Nissan maxima gle
Traded for : 2003 Acura 3.2tl

Regret it everyday. Nissan was an energizer bunny that kept going till I traded it in because it had 227k on it. Had a head gasket leak and consumed some coolant but otherwise phenomenal car. I've already put more money in the Acura at under 100k than I ever spent on the Nissan. Brakes all round, new trans, all fluid flushes, purge valve , new motor mounts twice, intake plenum gasket, new grounds , ac evac and recharge and it still vibrates like a muscle car at traffic lights. I've only had it for 20k! Needless to say my next purchase will be another Nissan.

I did an even swap,my 3000GT for my current 300ZX. It was my 2nd 3000GT and I wanted a Z32. I`d recently sold my Z31 turbo.

Last edited:
Traded my 1999 Chevy Malibu LS for the 2010 Hyundai Sonata in my signature.

The Malibu was starting to cost me money and I was starting to have some electrical issues. The summer of 2010, I was going to be on the road a lot and didn't want to have to deal with getting stranded somewhere. Also, the 2011's just came out, and the Hyundai dealer gave me a ridiculous deal on the 2010 (basically I paid less for the new car than I paid for the Malibu 11-1/2 years earlier, and that was before the trade-in was factored-in).

Originally Posted By: bourne
Traded in : 1997 Nissan maxima gle
Traded for : 2003 Acura 3.2tl

Regret it everyday. Nissan was an energizer bunny that kept going till I traded it in because it had 227k on it. Had a head gasket leak and consumed some coolant but otherwise phenomenal car. I've already put more money in the Acura at under 100k than I ever spent on the Nissan. Brakes all round, new trans, all fluid flushes, purge valve , new motor mounts twice, intake plenum gasket, new grounds , ac evac and recharge and it still vibrates like a muscle car at traffic lights. I've only had it for 20k! Needless to say my next purchase will be another Nissan.

You bought it used. The brakes and fluids can't really be added to that list, not unless the Maxima was some sort of freak brakeless, fluidless car.

The rest is most likely bad prior maintenance or simple the nature of the beast. My fiance's Civic vibrates a good amount. Some say it's the motor mounts (they look fine to me,) others hypothesize about fuel grade. It doesn't affect how the car drives, so we leave it.

Me:

New Car: '08 Subaru WRX STI
Old Car: '07 Civic SI

The Civic had no get up and go, was way to harsh, and just an all-around impractical daily driver. The STI was my ideal car, and after the economy went down the tubes and Subaru offered STI's for $7k off and 0% financing, I bought one.

New Car: '08 Civic LX
Old Car: '03 Civic EX

A tree feel on the old one...

Sold 1998 GMC Jimmy to buy a 2005 Impala. Changed jobs and was driving 75 miles one way every day. Took a half trip there and back in the Jimmy.

Got a job back in town. Impala was a one owner and had 23k miles when I purchased it. It had 48k miles and I traded it even up for a 2wd, 2006 Chevrolet Colorado with 49k miles. Wanted something to haul things (i.e. fishing poles). Would loved to have had an extended cab and 4wd, but you take what you can get.

I totaled an 04 Civic and bought my current Maxima with the insurance money. The Maxima has everything I want in a car short of a leather interior so I'm keeping it until something happens to it or it starts nickel and diming me.

Traded in my '00 Saturn SW2 for my Civic.
I somewhat regret it but with older cars you always have unexpected random things go wrong.
The SW2 was paid off (paid $300 for it) and I made money on the trade in. The Civic is good but it's not as fun to drive as a DOHC/5 speed S-series. I miss my Saturns all the time, despite me making this move to get away from doing repairs all the time.

Sold my Mercury Grand Marquis and leased the Civic. Sold the car and sale $ paid for the entire lease. The driver seat in the MGM was giving me horrible back pain and its MPG's sucked. Plus wife was scared to drive it in the winter being RWD. Civic has avg'd 30MPG since day 1. Hasn't had so much as a hiccup, and costs me nothing to repair. The MGM was a boring car with 2.73 rear gears and the bench style seat in the front should have never made it out of the factory.

Sold our Mercury Mountaineer and bought our Fusion. Merc is a gas guzzling hog. Just the facts. Otherwise we
LOVED it. 12MPG city just doesn't cut it on our budget. Sold it for $1K less than I owed just to dump it. Bought the Fusion AWD for $2.5K under book value from a private seller who was as meticulous as I am. It has been great although the 20.3 MPG city mileage is a tad disheartening. Otherwise Ford hit a frickin' homerun with this thing.

Bought the Toyota cash off of a private party. It is my DD and it will prevent us needing a car hopefully for a while once the Civic lease is done.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

You bought it used. The brakes and fluids can't really be added to that list, not unless the Maxima was some sort of freak brakeless, fluidless car.

The rest is most likely bad prior maintenance or simple the nature of the beast. My fiance's Civic vibrates a good amount. Some say it's the motor mounts (they look fine to me,) others hypothesize about fuel grade. It doesn't affect how the car drives, so we leave it.

Me:

The Civic had no get up and go, was way to harsh, and just an all-around impractical daily driver. The STI was my ideal car, and after the economy went down the tubes and Subaru offered STI's for $7k off and 0% financing, I bought one.

See the problem is, the brakes were ok lifewise, Honda tried to cheap out on the design. This car weighs 500lb more than the Accord its based on, however they use the exact same brakes. Single piston calipers with a tiny piston, pads chatter like crazy under light braking and warp new rotors in less than 2 months. I agree with fluids, thats me being proactive about maintainence. I also did plugs, air filter etc under pm which I would have for any car. And no lol, maxima wasnt a freak. I did brakes twice under my ownership between 94k~227k which sounds about avg.

Originally Posted By: bourne
Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Me:

See the problem is, the brakes were ok lifewise, Honda tried to cheap out on the design. This car weighs 500lb more than the Accord its based on, however they use the exact same brakes. Single piston calipers with a tiny piston, pads chatter like crazy under light braking and warp new rotors in less than 2 months. I agree with fluids, thats me being proactive about maintainence. I also did plugs, air filter etc under pm which I would have for any car. And no lol, maxima wasnt a freak. I did brakes twice under my ownership between 94k~227k which sounds about avg.

Interesting. I did not know that about the brakes. I guess they figured the non-S models would be driven gingerly and not need a brake upgrade...

Traded in: 2003 Jetta GL 5 Speed 80K miles
For New: 2012 Camry SE
Reason: Time for major service and smell coolant outside. No visible leak. Tired and sicked of that. Needs 4 brakes (still on origial set); timing belt; water pump; new registration; needs 2 new tires; needs tune up; a new air flow sensor etc. Plus traded in with a reasonable price.

Last edited:
New Car - 2007 VW Jetta 2.0T (purchased used in 2011)
Old Car - 2004 Suzuki Swift+ (purchased new in 2004)

The Swift had served the purpose of cheap reliable transportation. We were looking to step up a class or two for a more rewarding driving experience, with some fun added in, wrapped up in a good looking package but still meet our family transportation needs. We narrowed it down to either German sedans or American muscle. ( I know kinda of a weird mixture) We set out and did our homework and test drove a number of vehicles that fit our criteria and the The Jetta 2.0T fits the bill. To be honest this was the most time and energy we had spent on purchasing a vehicle.

New Car - 2007 Dodge Nitro SLT 4X4 (purchased used in 2010)
Old Car - 2000 Suzuki Vitara 4X4 (purchased used in 2001)

I could not have asked more from my Vitara. I really punished this little truck and it kept coming back for more. I did like the very minimal maintenance ( if any) and drove the snot out of it ( through beaver ponds, logging roads and trails, frozen snow covered lakes, etc,etc)plus it served as the main family hauler. In the end, rust was the enemy.
Wanting to keep an SUV in our stable, we decided to take a step up in class and go with a bigger SUV in both physical and engine size, but not get to big. I got a great deal on my Nitro and really like the bold looks, towing capacity and engine wrapped up in a mid sized SUV.

Last edited:
Old Car: I just junked my 96' Dodge Grand Caravan, I used it as a beater but it needs way too many repairs, in the past 7 years I've put $9k worth of repairs into it. I've owned it since 2005, but it's time to let it go.

New Car: Picking up an 02' Lexus ES300 tonight!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hypervish
Old Car: I just junked my 96' Dodge Grand Caravan, I used it as a beater but it needs way too many repairs, in the past 7 years I've put $9k worth of repairs into it. I've owned it since 2005, but it's time to let it go.

New Car: Picking up an 02' Lexus ES300 tonight!

Sweet! Congrats!

Old; '90 T-Bird SC bought used in '97 with ~95K miles on the clock.

'New'; current in sig, ordered/bought new in December of 1999.

The T-Bird was a nice car, handled well for it's size, drove like a dream, and the blower on the Taurus engine even made it 'punchy' away from lights.
It could be modded (for BIG $$$) to be actually FAST (despite it's heft) if one so desired.
But, it DID have THE most complicated ABS brake system I've ever even heard of in a car, as well as the electrically adjustable shock valving.
I wanted to get out of it BEFORE either of those started up, costing MANY times more than the Blue Book value of the car itself!! (As well as wanting something lighter, good handling {DESPITE that all of the 'import nameplaters' wrongfully may think otherwise}and VERY fast right off of the showroom floor, for very little coin.
wink.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back