Question on STP filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad you brought this up. I've seen this on STP packaging as well, and immediately thought "Wow...they REALLY must think we're morons." I guess STP suscribes to the "chicken wire" theory. Chicken wire will also "trap particles as small as 1/1000 mm." Just not very efficiently. At least one or two 1 micron particles just might snag on one of the chicken wires. In fact, an e-mail from Champion states that "STP oil filters are rated at 20 micron" (I forget if this is nominal or absolute). The STP filters are in the same filtration ballpark as AC Delco, probably the Purolator Premium Plus, etc. Middle-of-the-road.

Amen, TC. Amen. I almost fell off my chair when I saw ZR2's response.

The 20u is probably nominal. I'd include Wix (19u), SuperTech (20u), and Fram (20u) in that same pack. In fact it's beginning to look like most filters are more alike in filtering ability than different. Certainly no difference that my car would detect anyway.
dunno.gif

The biggest differences seem to me to be showing up in other construction details...shell thickness, bypass valve, ADV design, and so on. It's like there is Mobil 1, PureOne, Amsoil, Delco Ultra on one level, and then there are all the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back