Question on oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!

I've got a 2013 Subaru Forester 2.5L (non-turbo) that consumes oil like almost all subarus do..

It has consumed about 0.4L over the last weekend but was consuming rather slowly before that.

I was wondering, is it normal for an engine to have changes in its consumption? I always seem to get a bump in consumption around 3000 km and 5000 to 6000 km in a 10000 km oil change cycle.

Thanks guys.

Is it leaking or burning it? If leaking I suggest liqui-moly motor oil saver from Napa. It helps valve seals too if they are drying out.
If it's due to ring coking motor oil saver may help that as well being an ester and containing boron however a piston soak would work better.
You will get every opinion possible so don't get too discouraged when you get the inevitable "don't use additives". I've had great success with liqui-moly products and they are the only oil additives I will pay for.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Is it leaking or burning it? If leaking I suggest liqui-moly motor oil saver from Napa. It helps valve seals too if they are drying out.
If it's due to ring coking motor oil saver may help that as well being an ester and containing boron however a piston soak would work better.
You will get every opinion possible so don't get too discouraged when you get the inevitable "don't use additives". I've had great success with liqui-moly products and they are the only oil additives I will pay for.

+ 1

I agree about using Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver if it's leaking.

And I agree that there'll be plenty of responses saying "don't use additives." It's funny, really, how many clashes there seem to be here between pro-additive and anti-additive folks.

IMHO, in a new/low mileage car with no issues, there's no reason to use additives. In a car with high mileage, or, in any car with issues, certain additives may be advantageous.

Some folks give the old line, "you're messing with the chemistry of the oil, [etc.]," but that's not always as big of an issue as it may seem.

I mean, if the collective majority of folks here can reasonably agree that all API certified oils are able to mixed without causing harm - and some may say, so long as the OCI isn't extended - then what's the difference?

Of course mixing different brands of oil is not advantageous, and can cause additive dilution, etc... But when it comes to cars with leaking or burning issues, using aftermarket additives can be helpful. Could there be slight additive dilution of the oil used after adding an additive? Sure. But if you can stop, or reduce burning/leaking issues, you're doing more good than harm. Furthermore, following the rule of thumb that oil burners/leakers shouldn't run long/extended OCI's, the possible additive dilution is not a problem.

When it comes to additives, know what you're using. They're not all the same. Too many times I see badmouthing of additives in general, when the user's argument really only has a basis against additives that do more harm than good. And, because some additives do more good than harm, it's more logical to specify which additives can/may be helpful when used in the proper applications.

My favorite example of people irrationally badmouthing additives in general, when they should instead be specifying a certain brand, or category, is the case of VIIs. I've seen people hypocritically call that one Lucas additive bad names, but regard the STP additive much higher. Lol, they're both doing the same thing. Personally, I don't use either, because if I wanted a thicker oil, I'd buy the correct grade to begin with, rather than thickening the oil with a VII additive.

On the other hand, I honestly don't understand what anyone could say against Liqui Moly additives like Mos2 and Motor Oil Saver. If you're car needs the moly, but your current fill of oil is low on moly, Mos2 is beneficial. If your car is a leaker/burner, Motor Oil Saver is beneficial. If your car doesn't need anything more than the oil's stock additives because you don't have issues, don't use aftermarket additives.

It's just common sense.

~ Triton

Last edited:
If leaking I suggest liqui-moly motor oil saver from Napa. It helps valve seals too if they are drying out.
If it's due to ring coking motor oil saver may help that as well being an ester....

How much commission you getting off that stuff?

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
If leaking I suggest liqui-moly motor oil saver from Napa. It helps valve seals too if they are drying out.
If it's due to ring coking motor oil saver may help that as well being an ester....

How much commission you getting off that stuff?

Do you have any evidence Clevy is promoting Liqu-Moly Motor Oil Saver because he gets paid doing it ?

If you don't have any evidence then don't accuse anyone of any wrongdoing.

Originally Posted By: Wyverns
Hello everyone!

I've got a 2013 Subaru Forester 2.5L (non-turbo) that consumes oil like almost all subarus do...

Well.. All Subarus definitely do not. We've had them in the family approaching 300K miles and they didn't burn oil. They were however, EJ series engines and older.

OTOH, my 2014 XV Crosstrek has consumed enough at times to make the the low oil level light go on (one quart low). It's not consistent, but it's happened a few times in my first 25K miles on this car.

It's most certainly not normal based on what most of us are used to. It hasn't annoyed me enough at this point to try to pursue it with a dealership.

Last edited:
My Nissan turbodiesel runs around 7,000km into the oil change, consumes a quart quickly, gets a top up, then runs out the OCI.

Last OCI, I made a frankenbrew, and it dropped it's quart at 5,000km...so I changed it out at that point.

So yes, I've seen/got an engine that seems pretty stable for a long time then makes a rapid change, slowing after top-up.

Are you topping up at 3,000 and 6,000 ?

I do have to top up at these points but then the oil level doesn't drop until 10 000 km oil change.

I'm still wondering why that is happening (the varying rates, not the consumption)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back