Question on Auto Rx...is it working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys!
I feel bad about my choice of title for this thread. I got [censored] for nothing.

I'm using Castrol GTX and after 2 Auto Rx cleanings I will be using German Castrol 0w30. I'll look into the PCV valve.

This is what the FAQ section from the ARX website tells us about what kind of oil to use...

================================================================

Q: Does it matter what type of oil I use with Auto-Rx®?
A: It does not matter what type of oil you use for the cleaning phase of the Auto-Rx® application. However, for maximum results we recommend that you use plain, non-synthetic oil for the ?rinse? phase. Please see Application Instructions for complete details.

Q: Why do you recommend non-synthetic oil for the rinse" phase of the application?
A: We recommend simple, non-synthetic oil (do not use-semi synthetic or high-mileage oil) for this important step in the Auto-Rx® Application. Synthetic oil has a complex additive package that polarizes the liquefied debris on the engine’s internal oil-lubricated parts. The goal is to rinse all the internal parts of this liquefied debris, and a good ?Dino Oil?, with its simple additive package, does the job very well.

================================================================

So there it is, it doesn't matter what kind of oil you clean with, but you're supposed to use only regular dino for the rinse phase.

Right. But please also note that Frank has stated time and again on here that group III synths like PP and RTS are okay to use clean/rinse if you absolutely want to use synth.

How is German Castrol vs. Redline in these Volvo turbo engines? I just started using GC in my 2008 S40.....just hit the 3,000 mile mark so dumped the factory fill and got it on GC.

AFAIK:

Significant fuel dilution => GC.

No significant fuel dilution, long drain intervals, and/or lots of short trips => GC.

No significant fuel dilution, shorter drain intervals, long trips, and/or very hard use => Red Line.

Judging by the status, I suspect that you may have to run a 3rd round of AutoRx so as to be able to penetrate deep into the deposits and what-not, and I would insist in getting all the oil passages, oil control rings, etc. clean and getting the proper oil flow going again instead of dwelling on something that is superficial (i.e. the look underneath your oil filler cap).

Good luck on that.

Quest

p.s. Derek128 just successfully reclaimed an additional 2~6psi from his well-maintained Civic Si-R (B16 block, been running Motul full syn since day 1, now has 98,000kms to clock) after first round of AutoRx.

Be patient. From what I can see Auto-Rx worked well on the dip stick. The lower area with good flow is clean. Above where the staining is is gets little flow of oil. Run a full rinse or two before the second addition of ARX in the cleaning phase. The oil oxidation you have didn't occur quickly. Cleaning it all up will take a little time(miles).

Chris,

The first picture appears to show an engine that has been neglected; possibly through extended oil changes and a small sump capacity.

Where did the second picture come from. You have a second automobile of the same type and year?

With this engine (first picture) you have to go through possibly three ARX cycles to clean this engine.

Experience, and I have a lot of it with RX, says you should have used an oil with zero PAO or ester but then that's just me. Splash fed areas like valve covers or oil filler cap get little action as they are NOT pressure fed. Good luck anyway....s

I read alot about the dipstick being clean, i know its used as a guage on Auto-RX cleaning, but heck, cant some of you just wipe it clean !
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Thanks guys!
I'm using Castrol GTX and after 2 Auto Rx cleanings I will be using German Castrol 0w30.

AFAIK, no grp IV or V in GTX...

Originally Posted By: vxcalais
I read alot about the dipstick being clean, i know its used as a guage on Auto-RX cleaning, but heck, cant some of you just wipe it clean !
wink.gif

That would be cheating
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: vxcalais
wink.gif

You will have to take the engine apart and remove the compression and oil rings from the pistons. There, on rings and in the grooves, that's where A-RX works its magick -- or so I hear over and over.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back