Question for those who reuse oil filters

When changing your oil, do you still remove the filter to empty it out and just put it back on? Or do you even bother emptying it?

I Always replace filter, fiters are cheap Engines expensive
I've always felt the same way, but I recently saw a UOA where the person continued to use the same filter through 3 oil changes and ~20k miles and at least from an Insoluables standpoint, the insoluables % remained at 0.2%. It got me to at least consider changing the oil filter every other time. Though my OCIs are short for all three cars, so even if I changed the filter every other time, they'd still get no more than 10k miles.

If I'm doing back to back oil changes like 5 or 10 miles apart because the oil is very dirty, I have no problem doing that. Same on a car that's only been driven a few hundred miles in a year or two or three. The filter hasn't worn out but still has a good bit of old oil in it, so why not just drain it out and reuse it.

With all due respect to those who must change their filters every time. If I decide to do a second run with a quality filter, I’m not going to crawl under the vehicle to unscrew the filter for the few ounces of oil in the filter and in the galleys that was held back by the ADBV. I have a 5 quart pan. If I leave the filter on for a 2nd run the oil still looks pristine after mixing it with what ever oil was left.

Last edited:
With all due respect to those who must change their filters. If I decide to do a second run with a quality filter, I’m not going to crawl under the vehicle to unscrew the filter for the few ounces of oil in the filter and in the galleys that was held back by the ADBV. I have a 5 quart pan. If I leave the filter on for a 2nd run the oil still look pristine after mixing it with what ever oil was left.
That's a good point but some filters hold more than just a few ounces and some are real easy to get to. But I did that on my Audi RS6 just before I sold it. Changed the oil and filter 3 or 4 years ago but drove it less than 200 miles since. This change took 7 quarts and the filter is a real PITA to get to. Didn't drain it either, and the oil still looked pristine after the change.

134Oil change.jpg

On my car and truck I always change the filter with the oil but on my tractors the manual states oil every 100 hrs, oil filter every 200 hrs so I just leave it in place. Same with my motorcycle except that I change every other oil change because I start getting notchy shifting around 2500 miles so figure the filter is still good just need fresh oil.

Back