Question for those who reuse oil filters

Maybe this will help with your question. I changed my oil and filter until the oil came out clear, too 6 changes. Idled the engine for a few minutes to warm up and mix the new oil with the old between changes. I will shamelessly plug the video if you are interested in seeing the process. This is on an 05 Toyota 2.4L 1AZ FE engine with 180k miles.

Maybe this will help with your question. I changed my oil and filter until the oil came out clear, too 6 changes. Idled the engine for a few minutes to warm up and mix the new oil with the old between changes. I will shamelessly plug the video if you are interested in seeing the process. This is on an 05 Toyota 2.4L 1AZ FE engine with 180k miles.

The most impressive thing about this is watching five full jugs of oil poured in without a funnel and never spilling a drop.

If I use a cheaper filter, I'll change it with every OCI. Lately I have been using better filters (Ultra, Purolator Boss) and running them for 2 OCIs. The filter
Just curious, what's the difference in price between the cheaper filter and the better filters?

.... But I'm definitely considering leaving the filter on for two OCIs for all of them. Funny, all three of my cars (Infiniti M45, Honda CR-V, Honda Civic) use the same 7317 filter.
Keep in mind, two of the vehicles listed (Hondas), OM/MM(A,B, schedule) recommend changing filter every other oci. 7317 is a popular application, since 2001-02, majority Honda vehicle spec. Many Nissans too. If one maintains their vehicle, chances of exceeding a filters holding capacity by using more than once, minuscule.

Sticking to specific OP question, answers in this thread give valid reasons for leaving filter in place when using for more than one oci. The sealing gasket consideration is the primary one, imo.

Fram Extra Guard vs. an Ultra or Purolator Boss.
Quality control is the difference. The most expensive filter could have poor workmanship if it was overlooked during quality control process. No company says let’s make a bad batch of filters today to destroy “xy&z” cars. Even what I would have called a budget filter 10 plus years ago are respectful filters today and capable of a 10,000 oci. Super tech and fram orange cans are inexpensive yet capable opponents.

The real question would be how good is the air filter. I have always used the dry flows from Injen and AEM. I think we could all agree that the best oil filter doesn't matter as much as the best air filter. Driving habits are a factor too. Getting it warm and making most of your trips on the highway or over 10 miles is going to give any oil filter a lot of life. If we look at air filters we find out that they seem to filter and flow better with some stuff already caught and captured. Same goes with home furnace filters.

No pre-filling of the oil filter? They usually say that cold starts the first start after changing filters is where all the where happens. Now if it were me, I at least would have went out and drove on the highway for 30 minutes at speeds above 65 and above 3,000 RPMs. Now that's just me and I'm not going to critique because the video does show some validity.

No pre-filling of the oil filter? They usually say that cold starts the first start after changing filters is where all the where happens. Now if it were me, I at least would have went out and drove on the highway for 30 minutes at speeds above 65 and above 3,000 RPMs. Now that's just me and I'm not going to critique because the video does show some validity.
That's a good point about prefilling the filters. I usually prefill for normal oil changes, until the media gets soaked at least. For the video that would have been a good extra angle, next time. I didn't drive the vehicle and just idled it for a while since I had the Scion lifted up, with cameras and lighting positioned. Having to redo that 6 times would have been driven me crazy.

If we look at air filters we find out that they seem to filter and flow better with some stuff already caught and captured. Same goes with home furnace filters.
Air filters don't flow better as they load up, but they do filter better. Oil filters flow the same as long as the PD oil pump isn't in pressure relief. But oil filters lose some efficiency as they load up, due to the flow delta-p sloughing off already captured debris. Oil filters have a lot higher delta-p vs air filters.

Some oil filters are worse than others in terms of debris sloughing due to higher delta-p, and filters with a high ISO 4548-12 efficiency rating are less likely to slough debris as they load up, and therefore retain better efficiency as they load up.

Changing the filter is the messiest part of my changes, and to help recoup the costs of a better filter, I'll run those twice on the Focus atleast. I still have to get under the car anyways and I give the filter a quarter turn loose and then back so it doesn't stick as much when I do remove it. I think almost any filter with be fine for 12-14k hwy miles anyways, but I only double OCI with "good" ones.

If some filters are rated for 10,000 or 20,000 miles of use like some Mobil one are, whats the point of changing them a less than those mileages ?.,,,
Aren't the ratings worded as "up to" 10k or 20k miles? That implies (like 20k oil) that it is rated that long under ideal conditions. Here is Fram's exact wording for the Ultra:
Provides up to 20,000 miles/32,000 km of protection when used with an appropriate synthetic oil. Follow recommended change intervals as outlined in your owner’s manual.

This mobil 1 filter claims 1 year of use and 20,000 miles on the box. The conditions my vehicle runs never changes. It' gets cold from sitting overnight, then warms up and runs at operating temp. Whether it's around town, or on the highway. It's been doing that for the last 17 years I've owned it. I only used to use the 10k filter, because they didn't make the 20k version years ago. Runs quiet, doesn't smoke or use oil. Just drips a little, and it's not worth fixing at this point in it's life. just like people that change their oil too soon and don't see any difference, you won't be able to tell if your doing anything beneficial by changing the filter too soon. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-..._s_kwgid=58700006715445296&ds_s_inventory_fee

Back