Question for oil filter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, guys...

im wondering about oil filter by pass valve..i dont understand how they actually work..here is my problem..

my truck ask for an oil filter nissan part 15208-BN30A which is manuafactured by mann..which is mann oil filter 920/48 and thats what im using..that filter has by pass valve rating at 14.5 psi which is stock spec...because mann is only 99% efficient at 36 microns i wanted to use something else..and i currently run a mahle oc236 which is the replacement for my truck same dimensions etc..but when i asked mahle for by pass valve specs they said to me that is 12-16 psi..and now im running the wrong filter? or it doesnt matter?

one more question is that i found a royal purple filter that matches my truck but when i asked royal purple about psi rating they said to me that is 8-11 psi
eek.gif
but they said royal purple filters have very good flow and i wont have a problem..

give me your lights!

thanks

RP filter is not worth the cost. FRAM ultra synthetic from what I hear is the best bang for the buck.

yes but thats not answer my question about by pass valves!!

should i have a problem with lower by pass psi??

Last edited:
Normal manufacturing processes will dictate a tolerance on the range.
In real life 14.5psi is the same as 12-16psi.

The 8-11psi does seem to be lower. My opinion is that you don't see those pressures except during the startup spike, but certain applications may be different.

In theory you reduce the back pressure a little by going with an oversized filter.

Agree with Svhanc, 12-16 IS 14.5 if that makes any sense. It's certainly in nominal range. Additionally, I wouldn't worry to much about your by pass on your filter unless you plan to really put the engine through higher RPMs and redline. That is when the higher pressure is created that will activate your by-pass. If your worried about filter efficiency, Fram Ultra's are a great choice (Bang for Buck).

The bypass is activated by differential pressure across the filter. Simply running at redline does not necessarily mean the filter is in bypass mode.

Originally Posted By: tgiannak
Hi, guys...

im wondering about oil filter by pass valve..i dont understand how they actually work..here is my problem..

my truck ask for an oil filter nissan part 15208-BN30A which is manuafactured by mann..which is mann oil filter 920/48 and thats what im using..that filter has by pass valve rating at 14.5 psi which is stock spec...because mann is only 99% efficient at 36 microns i wanted to use something else..and i currently run a mahle oc236 which is the replacement for my truck same dimensions etc..but when i asked mahle for by pass valve specs they said to me that is 12-16 psi..and now im running the wrong filter? or it doesnt matter?

The 12-16 psi range covers 14.5 psi. Is the Mahle OC236 actually specified by Mann for use on your Nissan?

If you looked at a dozen oil filter brands that were actually specified for you vehicle, you would see a slight difference in their bypass valve setting. The bypass valve setting probably has more to do with the design of the filter than the vehicle application.

OP I did have an issue with an RP filter. I believe that the ADBV was defective and it caused a lot of lifter noise on start up. I wrote them an email and they sent me another filter and another quart of 5-20 to replace what I used when changing it. Their customer service is outstanding. That has been my only experience with them so far, but I have read good things about them and believe I may have just gotten a dud.

Bypass pressure is not much to worry about.

What year make model engine fuel???

Check to see if the Fram PH8a or Ford FL1A fits. It's a little longer but can be cross referenced among all brands.

royal purple arrived..i will use this for now and then i will try fram ultra based on your suggestions..also i checked on their site and by pass pressure on fram xg16 its 12 psi so its very close to my application...i hope 8-11 psi on royal purple that wont have an impact on my truck!

Originally Posted By: tgiannak
i hope 8-11 psi on royal purple that wont have an impact on my truck!

It will not make any difference.

I'm under the impression the higher psi speced bypass filters are made for higher flow oil pumps.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I'm under the impression the higher psi speced bypass filters are made for higher flow oil pumps.

Not necessarily, but it could be a factor. The filter's bypass valve setting also has a lot to do with the design of the filter itself. If you look at 10 different brands of filters for the same vehicle application, you'll see some differences in their bypass valve opening pressure. Most likely due to the filter design, not the vehicle's oiling system.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Not necessarily, but it could be a factor. The filter's bypass valve setting also has a lot to do with the design of the filter itself. If you look at 10 different brands of filters for the same vehicle application, you'll see some differences in their bypass valve opening pressure. Most likely due to the filter design, not the vehicle's oiling system.

But then why do some car manufacturers spec a high pressure oil filter bypass setting? I know some Asian engines have the high flow, low pressure oiling systems.

But then why do some car manufacturers spec a high pressure oil filter bypass setting? I know some Asian engines have the high flow, low pressure oiling systems.

What data/info are you considering to be the OEM's spec for the bypass valve setting?

Aftermarket filter designers supposedly use OEM specs to design their filters to. So the variations in bypass valve settings you see between different brands of filters specified for the same vehicle must have something to do with the filter's design instead of the vehicles oiling system oil flow, etc.

What data/info are you considering to be the OEM's spec for the bypass valve setting?

Aftermarket filter designers supposedly use OEM specs to design their filters to. So the variations in bypass valve settings you see between different brands of filters specified for the same vehicle must have something to do with the filter's design instead of the vehicles oiling system oil flow, etc.

The Hyundai OEM filter. It has a 20 lbs bypass spec. It's been like that for decades though. I had a Festiva that used an old Motorcraft OEM filter with the same 20 lb rating. That filter is obsolete now though. NAPA has one though. It was for a Mazda 4 cyl pickup engine for back in the 70's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back