Question concerning additive package..

If Valvoline Max life synthetic blend has such a good additive package, with boron and Moly, which I can vouch for from a UOA. But yet if you look at Mobil 1 nowhere near the molly or the boron.. I know the additive package isn't everything. Moly and boron, but it has a lot to do with reducing friction.. is it actually a better oil. Just because it ain't a full synthetic base..

If Valvoline Max life synthetic blend has such a good additive package, with boron and Moly, which I can vouch for from a UOA. But yet if you look at Mobil 1 nowhere near the molly or the boron.. I know the additive package isn't everything. Moly and boron, but it has a lot to do with reducing friction.. is it actually a better oil. Just because it ain't a full synthetic base..
Did you miss all the slides I recently posted from Infineum on moly?

You can't just glance at a VOA/UOA and determine which oil is "better". There are many compounds (organics) that don't show up for starters, and, unless you understand the tribological relationship between different additive chemistries, you have no idea what is being achieved with the additives you CAN see.

The additive pack you can see is part of it. But there are differing kinds of each additive like zddp and moly. And both the base stock and organic compounds have an effect too.
It's best to trust their proprietary blending and trade secrets as we don't know so we cant judge and look for some way of knowing how good their blending is by looking for certifications. But all in all we get caught up on here. Even the "worst" api sp oil at Walmart will make a decently made engine last long enough for the oil to not be the reason the engine died if it at least had the required or higher viscosity grade put in and was changed in reasonable to shorter/safer intervals.

Plus a fully formulated motor oil is the sum of all the components, visible in a $30 spectrographic analysis or not. The tests that validate and prove oil performance are multi-faceted, complex and expensive. Calling one oil better or claiming it has less friction based on a VOA or UOA analysis is silly.

And yes this has been explained many times. Sometimes I wonder if people even know what moly ("molly") and boron are. For one thing it isn't a raw element dumped into the oil despite the spectrographic analysis only showing decomposed compounds.

Did you miss all the slides I recently posted from Infineum on moly?

You can't just glance at a VOA/UOA and determine which oil is "better". There are many compounds (organics) that don't show up for starters, and, unless you understand the tribological relationship between different additive chemistries, you have no idea what is being achieved with the additives you CAN see.
I think I did miss it

Back