Question about TGMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Originally Posted By: redhat
VTC actuator

Bingo

I had mine replaced under warranty at like 60k miles and it was doing it 10k later...

If I didn't have so much 0w20 sitting around I would buy 5w20 and see if that fixes it.

aS far as the consumption goes mine doesn't use any in cold weather or city driving. But on extended high speed driving like 80mph in mountains with lots of downshifts it can us a half a quart in 1000 miles

This doesn't make any since. Oil is much thicker than it needs to be at start up, so why would a thicker oil solve the problem?

There is a possibility that TGMO is to thin for this engine at operational temperature so after engine stops cam variator can't hold oil because of low viscosity. On next start you get rattle until oil come back to the cam variator. Try switching to some thicker 0w20. This has been common issue with other manufacturers.

Sounds good. It did not do it this morning. It does sound like something is starved for oil when it does it. Usually after sitting for a couple of days.

Oil does not make a difference with the VTC actuator.

I had mine replaced at 55k. Now at 80k, noise still exists at times.

I've tried:

0W-20
TGMO
M1 AFE
AMSOIL SS

5W-20
Pennzoil Ultra
Mobil Super 5000
QS Green Bottle
NAPA/Valv. White Bottle
Peak Conv.
Castrol GTX

I put TGMO in my 05 Accord around 160k miles and the engine was very loud on start up. Sounded like a deisel. With a 160k miles on the engine, and the way i drove the car over the course of it's life, it was probably a viscosity issue. A worn engine would most likely benefit from a higher viscosity oil.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
There is a possibility that TGMO is to thin for this engine at operational temperature so after engine stops cam variator can't hold oil because of low viscosity. On next start you get rattle until oil come back to the cam variator. Try switching to some thicker 0w20. This has been common issue with other manufacturers.

Your conjecture contradicts itself outright because even if you had 20W-60, it would still be very thin when hot and it would flow through tiny openings with no problem. Therefore, this is definitely not the case.

Originally Posted By: redhat
Oil does not make a difference with the VTC actuator.

I had mine replaced at 55k. Now at 80k, noise still exists at times.

I've tried:

0W-20
TGMO
M1 AFE
AMSOIL SS

5W-20
Pennzoil Ultra
Mobil Super 5000
QS Green Bottle
NAPA/Valv. White Bottle
Peak Conv.
Castrol GTX

Exactly my point: These actuators aren't designed to be sensitive to oil viscosity or type, and a different oil cannot fix a faulty actuator.

Toyota also had a similar problem in its third-generation Prius engines with the valve-timing actuator rattling during certain cold starts.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Originally Posted By: 0w20something
Hello,

I started using TGMO in my 2011 Honda Accord back in November. I am happy with it over all. It lasts 1500-1800 miles more at 50% according to the Oil Monitoring System than the base Amsoil 0W20.

cheers3.gif
That's TGMO 0W-20 SN for you.

I'm still interested in how the OLM knows that it's the superior quality TGMO SN, and adjusts for it.

Unicorn tear detector ?

OLM measures the oil condition. So, according to the OP, his OLM is indicating that TGMO 0W-20 SN deteriorates more slowly than AMSOIL with mileage. This means that its base oil is holding up better than AMSOIL and hence it's of superior quality according to the OLM.

Hello,

I started using TGMO in my 2011 Honda Accord back in November. I am happy with it over all. It lasts 1500-1800 miles more at 50% according to the Oil Monitoring System than the base Amsoil 0W20.

cheers3.gif

I'm still interested in how the OLM knows that it's the superior quality TGMO SN, and adjusts for it.

Unicorn tear detector ?

OLM measures the oil condition. So, according to the OP, his OLM is indicating that TGMO 0W-20 SN deteriorates more slowly than AMSOIL with mileage. This means that its base oil is holding up better than AMSOIL and hence it's of superior quality according to the OLM.

Honda's OLM does NOT measure the oil condition. The only manufacturer I know of (and this was already mentioned in this thread) that uses an actual oil condition sensor is BMW.

Quote:
The on board computer system in your vehicle continuously monitors the engine operating conditions such as speed, engine and ambient temperature, time and the vehicle use. The system will count down the vehicles oil life based on these conditions to determine when an engine oil change and maintenance is necessary.

http://www.invergrovehonda.com/honda-maintenance-minder-system.htm

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Honda's OLM does NOT measure the oil condition. The only manufacturer I know of (and this was already mentioned in this thread) that uses an actual oil condition sensor is BMW.

Quote:
The on board computer system in your vehicle continuously monitors the engine operating conditions such as speed, engine and ambient temperature, time and the vehicle use. The system will count down the vehicles oil life based on these conditions to determine when an engine oil change and maintenance is necessary.

http://www.invergrovehonda.com/honda-maintenance-minder-system.htm

OK, thanks, now, both OP and I know that OLMs on most cars are based on a driving-conditions algorithm rather than an actual measurement of the oil condition.

Interesting that my 2009 Toyota didn't have an OLM. It only had an odometer-based maintenance reminder. It could be because that model didn't differentiate between driving conditions and asked for 5,000-mile OCIs regardless.

Nevertheless, according to my UOAs, TGMO 0W-20 SN does very well in my 85 Corolla engine as far as TBN fall and TAN rise is concerned.

I realize that in regards to the OLM, but the TGMO oil seems to last longer. The noise I am referring to is internal. Sounds like it comes from inside the valve cover.
Hello,

cheers3.gif

Unicorn tear detector ?

That's my question too. How does the engine know what ok is in the sump and compensates by extending the life via the oil monitor.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
That's my question too. How does the engine know what ok is in the sump and compensates by extending the life via the oil monitor.

It was answered a couple of posts ago.

Originally Posted By: buster
I put TGMO in my 05 Accord around 160k miles and the engine was very loud on start up. Sounded like a deisel. With a 160k miles on the engine, and the way i drove the car over the course of it's life, it was probably a viscosity issue. A worn engine would most likely benefit from a higher viscosity oil.

Mine slaps on anything. It seems TGMO 0w20 and Castrol Edge 5w20 have been the quietest to date. The M1 AFE 0w20 seems to be doing alright in the noise department now that it has 4500 miles on it. It wasn't all that quiet when it was fresh.

So why does TGMO make the OLM go another couple thousand miles then ???

Because the unicorns help push the car and make it easier on the engine.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

This doesn't make any since. Oil is much thicker than it needs to be at start up, so why would a thicker oil solve the problem?

It would make it harder and or slower to drain out of the VTC actuator at rest.

Perhaps oil temperature is a parameter, and TGMO runs cooler than Amsoil?

Even assuming the OLM DID measure the temperature, going from 2.7 to 2.6 hths isn't going to alter the oil temp...

3.2 to 3.8 hasn't changed temp a degree in my caprice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back