Question about piston slapping in Vortec Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the market for a new truck to replace my 20 year old Ford 'old faithful'. I've read quite a bit about piston slapping in newer GM vortec engines on this site. I am seriously considering buying a new Chevy truck and am wondering if anyone knows if GM has solved the piston slapping issues with this engine family?

Thanks, DEWFPO

Hello DEWFPO,

You might want to visit www.pistonslap.com before your purchase.
cool.gif

[ March 17, 2004, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: Boeing 757 Pilot ]

Although there are plenty of complaints on the internet, I think this is a case of a very vocal minority. In fact I now here of piston slap on all sorts of other engines.

The reality is this. GM sells hundreds of thousands of Trucks, and a vast mojority have no problems. I know several people with Vortec truck engines and none have this problem. I'm not saying it doesn' exist, but it's not a certainty. I have also not seen any cases on newer trucks. 04,ect. I think you can shop for Chevys without worry.

-T

Ford fixed their piston slap problem a few years ago. They also fixed their spark plug blowing problem last year. The new 3 valve modular V8's are just awesome. Look at some UOA's, they have posted great numbers even using that crappy too thin (YEAH, I SAID TOO THIN!!!
grin.gif
) 5W-20.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
Look at either Dodge or Toyota. They both power plants that are slapp free!

And if you're lucky, both Dodge and Toyota have fixed there engines and are no longer selling Sludge Monsters!
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:

quote:

And if you're lucky, both Dodge and Toyota have fixed there engines and are no longer selling Sludge Monsters!
tongue.gif

Toyota's V8 was never a sludge monster, just some of their other motors
grin.gif

My 2003 5.3 Silverado is dead quiet. I thought it was slapping once but never heard it even in the cold it is dead quiet and dosen't burn a drop of oil. I love mine and is set up to pull 9,000 lbs, plenty of truck! I hear all the stories about the GM slappers but have never heared of 1 true storie of it causing an engine failure.

Ford has not fixed thier slapper problems as of 2002 because my friends F150 slapps a lot but the truck runs well and strong. Both are great trucks and will run circles around the Tundra but I'm not sure about the Titan yet. Dodge Ram is a solid truck and so is the Dakota.

I would reccomend a Chevy! My Brother has a 2003 Tacoma and he is looking to sell it for a Silverado/Taho because of multipl problems with it. The ride is smooth like a heavy car but still has the suspention for heavy work/off road.
Happy shopping!

There are problems with Toyota's V8 in the piston slap arena. Thicker oils and more mileage seem to quiet TOYO's cold weather gasoline/diesel engine. However, these 4.7 liter 32 valve, DOHC engines move that truck well, and, at least in mine, have alot more ponies than advertised!

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:

quote:

tongue.gif

And in a couple of years, *maybe*, You'll be able to buy a Dodge with a transmission that lasts over 50K miles...

tongue.gif

I have an 03 Silverado with the 5.3 and have also never heard piston slap even in very cold (-35) starts. I thought I heard it once, but since it was the only time I've discounted that as piston slap.

Overall I'm up in the air over the quality of the truck. I'd seriously look into every brand of truck. I was stuck on Chevy when I bought mine, but I don't know if I'd do it again. I went to the auto show and I really like the New Fords and Toyotas.

You got to hand it to Nissan with the production of the titan. More torque than the Hemi? Wow! I think that's the best pick-up truck you can get for under $30K. It will run circles around all domestic trucks and foreign trucks!
cheers.gif

Yeah, but it still will look like an imported truck period. They just don't look "truck-ish." Yes, I know, to each his own but there is just something different about the Toyo's, Nissan's and Mazda trucks. They look so frail. Can anyone say plastic????? I know they are saving a boat load of money from not painting as much because most of the body is covered in plastic. But hey, this is just my OPINON, don't every body get an erection over this. I respect everybodies wishes.

Yeah Toyota and Nissan are definitely putting the ponies to the floor better than the big 3. Toyota has a small V8 but will have a bigger one (5.8L?) in 2006 probably. And maybe a V8 hybrid with massive torque by then too. Ive got a V6 tundra and it doesnt have much power (but I dont tow) but it puts the power to the rear wheels where it belongs! Rated at 220 ftlb and puts down about 200-205.

427Z06, Do more home work next time! The V6 that was assosciated with sludge issues was primarly confined to 1999-2001 Minivans,Camrys and Avolons. I do not belive any of the compact pickups were associated with this recall or TSB. I could be wrong though. Seeing how anyone that owns one of these engines only has to show that at lest one oil change has been done on it dureing that year to get a free engine or rebuild for the next 8 years I would say they have that covered!

I was also refeering to full size trucks seeing how he was asking about V8 equiped trucks. Toyota does not make a compact with a V8 and Dodge does not make a compact pickup at all. Toyota offers the flawless 4.7V8 in their current fullsize. Dodge offers a midsize and I belive that the 5.2 and 5.9 have been phased out know for the Dakota with the 4.7 being the only V8.Last I checked only the RT could be had with the 5.9. The Dodge 4.7 does not have a sludge issue. Their is no TSB, Recall or Campaign for sludge on this engine.

Their is a white foam issue that is harmless on the Dodges. It forms in the composite oil fill neck. This same phenominon can be found in various engines all makes.

427Z06, How many Gen III UOA's look as good as the UOA we see from the Toyota 4.7 or the Dodge 4.7?

P.S. THeir are plenty of TSB's and Campaigns in reguard to oil consuption and piston slap on the Gen III's!

offtopic.gif
427Z06, While I know that you do not like me at least attack me with relavent information. You are really grasping at straws in an attempt to get my goat!

SCHMOE, You must be kidding ! GM is king of the cheap plastic. THe dash in the Silerado's sounds like a hollow log and all the plastic in the cockpit is ultra cheap and brittle!

GM also has the most plastic laden claded vechiles I have ever seen. Look at the Avalanche, Azteck,Grand AM,Grand Prix the entire outer panels on all Saturns..... Plastic!!! THe interior of the SSR is Frankinsteinish!!! The plastic is cheap has visable overlaping seems, has sloted panel plugs the size of quarters that are plainly visable and the climate control knobs came off in my hands while driveing one! The knobs are suposed to look like brushed aluminum but you can tell they are coated plastic even before you touch them. The XLR's center counsol and center stack screamed cheap plastic!! THe Corvettes C5 were compared to Mattel Toy COmpany for their cheap plastic interior. The Cadilacs fake wood looks like fake plastic wood even before you touch it.

All companys use plastic as a primary material in the interior now but some feel cheaper and sound cheaper then others. You also see a huge difference from one model to another. I think though that any vechile costing more then $20,000 dollars should have multiple tectures, and color breaks, no overlaping seams, and you should not be able to easily spot fastners. It should sound solid resonate very little etc.

When the car cost more the $38,000 the wood should all be real. The plastic should look and feel like a paded leather dash and any bits that look like a polished alloy should be!

Their is no plastic clading on the outside of my Camry other then door dent guard with is color keyed and less then 1" in width. My Dads Tacoma has no plastic on the outside at all that is visable. My Moms Tundra only has Molded flexable urathan flares on the outside and they are very small and tastefull.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back