Question about OCI and oncoming road trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, guys. I got a silly question about OCI that's bogging my mind.

My ride is a 2000 4.3 Blazer with 90k miles on the clock. My current oil is the Valvoline 5w30 synpower with about 3600 miles on the pan. I'll do a road trip of about 250 miles long, with some light dust road on the way.

Should I change the oil before the trip? worth mencioning that i have a stash of synpower and a filter on hand.

Thanks!!

Long miles are easy miles on oil and engines. Its the short miles with lot of cold starts that get fuel dilution and other nasty things. 250 miles, enjoy the afternoon and change when you get back.

Ive done about three or four 2500 miles trips in the past two years. I always change the oil when I get back (if its time or overdue). A long highway drive is real easy on the oil. Just keep it topped off, and change it when you get back.

With synthetic and highway miles, you could EASILY change at 7500 miles or longer on that car, as long as you check the oil and keep it topped off.

Are we talking 250 miles or 2500 miles? Because 250 miles isn't a road trip. I know people that commute to work 250 miles a day round trip. 4 days a week.

3800 mile OCI on Synpower? You're kidding, right? As bubbatime said you should easily be able to go 7500.

I'll leave it until 7500 miles so. But there's something, the gas here in Brazil contains 27.5% of ethanol on it, E27.5, does it make any difference on the OCI?

I did a 1,500 mile over-the-line road trip OCI last month by preceding it with a 50% dipstick suck change. This was only because my car has a fuel dilution issue caused by DPF regen post-injection. Otherwise I'd not think twice about going 1-2k past the OCI mark.

I think the rule of thumb in the US when using E85 fuel (85% ethanol) vs E10 is to change your oil twice as often. So a 10k OCI on synthetic oil goes to 5k when switching to E85. 27.5% ethanol isn't nearly as "bad' as E85 so perhaps 7500 miles should be safe on synthetic - as always, keep it topped off.

I recently made a trip to Florida from Illinois and back. 2500 miles. I had 6K on the OCI when I left. I now have 9K on this OCI and all is well. I will change it at my normal OCI of 10K.

Originally Posted By: mmayorca
I'll leave it until 7500 miles so. But there's something, the gas here in Brazil contains 27.5% of ethanol on it, E27.5, does it make any difference on the OCI?

In that case, I'd be sure to have a UOA (Used Oil Analysis) performed prior to extending your OCI (oil change interval)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back