Question about Apple TV

My ATV is acting up...again...(or at least I'm blaming it on the ATV based on its history). Mine has the voice control on the remote. The voice control works on everything except You Tube. When I try to use on YT, it just puts the following message on the screen "sorry I can't help you find that here." The voice control worked with the YT app until recently. I tried unplugging the ATV for 15 seconds which didn't help, I deleted the YT app and downloaded a new one, which also didn't help. I went through all of the settings in the YT app, but I didn't see any options that would have any effect on this issue. I also went through all of the settings in the ATV and also didn't see anything in there that would address this issue. I also haven't changed any of the ATV settings, or any of the settings in any of the apps. One thing I refuse to do is to do a reset on the ATV...I did that once before and it was such a huge nightmare to get everything back up again, I swore if it had to be done again, I'd replace the ATV with a new streaming device. I like the ATV WHEN ITS WORKING PROPERLY, but it has a lot of annoying attributes that IMO, are unacceptable. Any suggestions on what I could do to resolve this issue would be appreciated...

You are not operating your Apple TV device properly. You have to be in search mode for the voice command to work. My wife neglects doing this EVERY SINGLE TIME! Then it annoys her when I make it work in two seconds.

Scott

Edit: When in the Youtube app, make sure the control is on the magnifying glass.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
You are not operating your Apple TV device properly. You have to be in search mode for the voice command to work. My wife neglects doing this EVERY SINGLE TIME! Then it annoys her when I make it work in two seconds.

Scott

Edit: When in the Youtube app, make sure the control is on the magnifying glass.

Nope, that's not it...I always make sure "search" is selected...still doesn't work...

Originally Posted by grampi

Scott

Nope, that's not it...I always make sure "search" is selected...still doesn't work...

Just confirming, not throwing stones. Your cursor should be in the search text box.

Scott

You might want to try force closing the YouTube app and or checking for app updates. I've seen specifically YouTube and the YouTube TV where the app will be opened (after maybe idle for a day) and the app is semi-frozen.

And I will agree, it does sound as if the search target isn't in the YouTube Search Box as the message coming on screen at that point is then the Apple TV performing a global "device" search. Alternatively, you could probably tell it "ball joint repair on YouTube" and it would find it -- since you gave it a place to search from.

Scott

Just confirming, not throwing stones. Your cursor should be in the search text box.

Scott

The search screen opens, but the cursor can't be moved into the text box....

Last edited:
Your YouTube app is frozen. On your Apple remote, double click the TV logo button. The screen will change to show all currently running apps. Use the touch pad, left or right, to focus on the YouTube app. Once it is selected, swipe up on the touchpad to close the app. Then re-open YouTube. You should be able to get the cursor to the search box and use the voice search again.

Happens to me all the time, the YouTube app freezes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by redhat
Your YouTube app is frozen. On your Apple remote, double click the TV logo button. The screen will change to show all currently running apps. Use the touch pad, left or right, to focus on the YouTube app. Once it is selected, swipe up on the touchpad to close the app. Then re-open YouTube. You should be able to get the cursor to the search box and use the voice search again.

Happens to me all the time, the YouTube app freezes.

I did this, still isn't working...

Like I said earlier, I'm not restarting the ATV...it's way too much of PITA...I'll buy a fire stick before I do another restart...

Are you restarting your Apple TV via the settings menu? I've never had a problem doing it that way.

Make sure you are up to date on the OS.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Are you restarting your Apple TV via the settings menu? I've never had a problem doing it that way.

Yes, that's the one that's a pita...I haven't checked for updates yet, I will do that and if updating doesn't fix it, I'm replacing it with a Fire Stick...

Yes, that's the one that's a pita...I haven't checked for updates yet, I will do that and if updating doesn't fix it, I'm replacing it with a Fire Stick...

If that is a pain then something is not right. Settings>System>Restart. The only other step is to click your remote afterwards so the system recognizes it.

Occasionally I have to restart because I watch shows through various apps and the sound from a previous show watched bleeds over with the new show. I haven't figured that out yet but my guess is user error. A restart fixes it.

If that is a pain then something is not right. Settings>System>Restart. The only other step is to click your remote afterwards so the system recognizes it.

Occasionally I have to restart because I watch shows through various apps and the sound from a previous show watched bleeds over with the new show. I haven't figured that out yet but my guess is user error. A restart fixes it.

I just did a restart on this thing a couple weeks ago and it was a royal PITA. I have to re-enter all of my login info for every app I use afterwards. It's just not worth the hassle. If I'm having to do restarts on this thing every two weeks just to keep it operating properly, then there's something wrong with it and it needs to be replaced anyway...I'm getting a Fire Stick...

Last edited:
Wow there's a difference between restarting and resetting (or initializing).

And as someone who owns both, a Fire TV Stick isn't better. Just my opinion.

Originally Posted by kschachn

I'm sure not all Apple TVs are like mine, this one is just extremely glitchy. So where would I find these two options? I've only seen the one option, and selecting it wipes out everything, including most of the apps I have installed...this is the one that requires re-inputing all of my email addresses and passwords for all of the apps, and having to re-install the apps...if there's another way to reset it without wiping out everything I can do that if I knew how...

Originally Posted by kschachn

I'm sure not all Apple TVs are like mine, this one is just extremely glitchy. So where would I find these two options? I've only seen the one option, and selecting it wipes out everything, including most of the apps I have installed...this is the one that requires re-inputing all of my email addresses and passwords for all of the apps, and having to re-install the apps...if there's another way to reset it without wiping out everything I can do that if I knew how...

https://support.apple.com/guide/tv/restart-apple-tv-atvbb8553426/13.0/tvos/13.0

Restart, not Reset.

[Linked Image from cdn.iphonelife.com]

Yep. If you are resetting then that is wrong and should only be done for extreme cases. That's like reinstalling software on a computer.

Back