Question about 12pt Sockets

I have quite a few kits which have a lot of 12 pt sockets. For some reason, I always feel 6 pt is better and will not round off vs a 12 pt one.

Recently acquired a 1 inch tool kit which has a lot of nice sockets, ratchets, extensions - but all are 12 pt.

Is there any consensus or advice? Thank you folks :)

Recently acquired a 1 inch tool kit which has a lot of nice sockets, ratchets, extensions - but all are 12 pt.

:)

+2

I have a bunch of 3/4"-drive sockets, and they're all 12-point. Maybe on the big sockets, it no longer matters if they're 6- or 12-point?

Given a choice I'd take 6 point sockets. More side grip on the nut or bolt head. Ask yourself how many times you need a twelve point socket for home use? Now mechanics need them for their various cars/trucks they work on.

I don't have any 1" sockets but I do have 3/4" in SAE and Metric sets, all are 6 point. I always prefer using the 6 point stuff on 6 point heads, 12 point on 6 point always seem to cause issues when any serious amount of torque is involved.

I rarely pay attention to which I grab unless I know it is a rusty beast that will need extra "umph" to come loose...then I make sure it is a 6 point.

Unless the fasteners are junk or rusty, it really doesn’t matter so long as the sockets have off-corner engagement. You can tell by looking at the sockets if the corners are rounded rather than angles. Most modern sockets and box wrenches are designed this way.

Speaking of box end of wrenches, by far most are 12 point. Yeah there are 6 point available, but i haven’t seen them widely used. I personally don’t like them. Most don’t obsess over using said 12 point combo wrench on a decent 6 point fastener.

Good 12 point sockets don't round off bolts - You can apply enough torque with 12 point, even on a rusted fastener, to snap the bolt.

I've got both 12 and 6 point sockets.

But my impacts are all 6 point.

If you're talking about a 1" socket set (which is pretty beefy, my biggest sets are 3/4") then your issue isn't rounding off bolts, it's getting enough torque to do anything with fasteners that large.

I have quite a few kits which have a lot of 12 pt sockets. For some reason, I always feel 6 pt is better and will not round off vs a 12 pt one.

Is there any consensus or advice? Thank you folks :)

I prefer a 6 point as well. Wrench or socket. I like sockets.

They *say* 12 point has a use but i go for the 6...

Will not round off bolts......

Good 12 point sockets don't round off bolts - You can apply enough torque with 12 point, even on a rusted fastener, to snap the bolt.

I've got both 12 and 6 point sockets.

But my impacts are all 6 point.

If you're talking about a 1" socket set (which is pretty beefy, my biggest sets are 3/4") then your issue isn't rounding off bolts, it's getting enough torque to do anything with fasteners that large.

Should clarify... you mean 3/4" drive.

I think they have up to 1.5" drive that they use on big rigs.. How much easier is work with 3/4" vs 1/2"? Is it notable? Or only in extreme cases

Should clarify... you mean 3/4" drive.

I think they have up to 1.5" drive that they use on big rigs.. How much easier is work with 3/4" vs 1/2"? Is it notable? Or only in extreme cases
That’s what I meant, in response to the OP calling his set a 1”.

This is a 3/4” socket set. 3/4” - 2” twelve point sockets, on racks, some up to 2 1/2” loose.

Look closely, I threw a 1/2” drive in there for contrast.

A 1” drive set would be even larger. Huge, really. Well beyond what’s needed for automotive
34698CA0-2BFA-4921-A642-549BDACBE0E9.jpeg

That’s what I meant, in response to the OP calling his set a 1”.

This is a 3/4” socket set. 3/4” - 2” twelve point sockets, on racks, some up to 2 1/2” loose.

Look closely, I threw a 1/2” drive in there for contrast.

A 1” drive set would be even larger. Huge, really. Well beyond what’s needed for automotive View attachment 100316

It's not the first time I've heard of 3/4" drive being employed for Mercedes-Benz 🤣🤣however.. that's awesome.

Can get pretty huge.. I imagine you'd break everything with this, this has to be for big rigs!? https://rxs-asia.com/brand/super-duty-titanium-air-impact-tool-3955b2ti/

Screenshot_20220517-130944_Chrome.jpg

Forgot about them...but in my entire life only the driveshaft flange bolts of my Ranger have 12 point bolts.
Hmmm, if 12 point bolts exist why did VAG develop the "triple square" head? It's 12 point, but different, no?

Twelve point fasteners have been around since the beginning of the automobile.

The triple square is an internal drive, like Torx, or Allen, that allows both higher torque and the use of a much narrower tool to reach the fastener, allowing tighter packaging of components in cylinder heads, for example.

No need for triple squares, or extensions, or even sockets, on this…
F9AB5F6D-6DAF-419C-A34D-82CA9B7B4BAD.jpeg

Back