Quality Wheel Bearing

My 08 Tundra front left wheel bearing is feeling pretty rough when I free wheel the hub. I am going to replace it with a pre-assembled hub and bearing. I can get SKF, Doorman, Beck/Arnley, SKP or Durago. I am thinking that SKF is probably the best of the bunch. Any opinions on what is the best option of the above? I plan on keeping the truck for a while yet.

Also, I was thinking of doing both front bearings since the truck is old and has high mileage. Any thoughts on that?

SKF and I would do just the side that is having problems.

Bearings are hard to predict - they can last a very long time.

As an example, I have a front bearing (hub) going in the 2001 Volvo. Just one, right front. It's growling and making noise at 110,000 miles.

On the 2002 FWD, with 210,000 miles, the hubs are all original. On the 2002 AWD, with 270,000 miles, the hubs are all original.

SKF from Rockauto. If you buy it elsewhere make sure it’s not counterfeit. SKF has a way to authenticate if you google it. I’ve had luck just replacing one front bearing on a 99 Accord at 75k and was fine till 166k miles when sold.

Really.... now you all are showing your age. ;) Its ok back in the day your answers would have been pretty spot on but....... Unfortunately it does not matter so much as it once did. It is more where the "specific" bearing is manufactured. All of those companies have sold off or re organized in the last 30 years the quality of all of them is not what it use to be. There was a large article a few years back in Counterman's Magazine explaining this whole bearing and seal industry and the changes. I would stay with UK ,USA, Japan and Germany for a country of manufactured bearings. Need I say which country(s) to think twice about using?
I am just curious and only wondering why BCA was not on the list of choices?

The brands I listed were the only pre assembled hub and bearings I could find for my truck. I did not find a BCA listing.

It sounds like SKF is my best option. I was going to order from RockAuto, so I am assuming I should get a non counterfeit bearing?

If anyone else has any other opinions, chime in.

Welcome to BITOG 🎉

SKF seems like your best bet if BCA doesn't have one for your Tundra.

Rock Auto parts are legit and not counterfeit. When you receive it, google the return address, and it will lead you to the supplier. They mostly use Parts Authority, Auto Value, and Factory Motor Parts, who supply regional/independent parts stores.

The brands I listed were the only pre assembled hub and bearings I could find for my truck. I did not find a BCA listing.

It sounds like SKF is my best option. I was going to order from RockAuto, so I am assuming I should get a non counterfeit bearing?

If anyone else has any other opinions, chime in.
If possible in the comment section of your order I would ask that your parts be from one country of origin. You could even specify which country you would rather or rather not get them from.

Don't be surprised if they decline it. This often happens and I simply use another source and at times must pay a (for) few dollars more.
Hey that 'sa movie title... LOL

I like how so many suggesting SKF... LOL I love SKF, for sure, but not when some of their products are made in China. ;)

You can always run to your local Napa, Carquest, etc and see what's in the box if they have one in stock. Could be great or not. If not, or the price is not what you want. Mail-order.

If possible in the comment section of your order I would ask that your parts be from one country of origin. You could even specify which country you would rather or rather not get them from.

Don't be surprised if they decline it. This often happens and I simply use another source and at times must pay a (for) few dollars more.
Hey that 'sa movie title... LOL

I like how so many suggesting SKF... LOL I love SKF, for sure, but not when some of their products are made in China. ;)
Unfortunately made in China parts are going to become the norm in the not to distant future, I don't like it either but it is what it is.
If there is an upside to this it is many manufacturers like SKF, FAG, NGK, etc have built their own factories there, the control the materials, construction and QC, they just don't buy white box crap and put their name on it although some do but I would guess their future isn't very long or bright.

I bought FAG hubs that were always German made but these were made in China, great quality and now have over 70K on them, there are even Chinese manufacturers that are making some first class parts and hoses (I will buy Sunsong before Gates or Dayco any day). It makes sense, China is the new USA (friggin sad but true) in the boom times and now the worlds biggest car market.

SKF. Me personally I always change both sides because otherwise it messes with my OCD and plus I feel any time there is two or more of something they should be changed together. Just what I have done and have been taught to do.

Unfortunately made in China parts are going to become the norm in the not to distant future,
Yes I know , as I said somewhere there was a extensive article about this in Counterman Magazine. I am sure as an ASE you get the subscription BTW I am L1 & L2, and current but I never work on rattling smokers. LOL

Really.... now you all are showing your age. ;) Its ok back in the day your answers would have been pretty spot on but....... Unfortunately it does not matter so much as it once did. It is more where the "specific" bearing is manufactured. All of those companies have sold off or re organized in the last 30 years the quality of all of them is not what it use to be. There was a large article a few years back in Counterman's Magazine explaining this whole bearing and seal industry and the changes. I would stay with UK ,USA, Japan and Germany for a country of manufactured bearings. Need I say which country(s) to think twice about using?
I am just curious and only wondering why BCA was not on the list of choices?
Would like to read that article. Got a link?

SKF. Me personally I always change both sides because otherwise it messes with my OCD and plus I feel any time there is two or more of something they should be changed together. Just what I have done and have been taught to do.
How does that work out with your customers ? Even my smoooth talking cant convince some to do what you are saying to do even if we both know it is better. LOL

The ASE doesn't mean much to me, I only use it for business because it is known in the US. At this point I don't care about them anymore I am semi retired, I do my best to stay current but that's all.

How does that work out with your customers ? Even my smoooth talking cant convince some to do what you are saying to do even if we both know it is better. LOL
We offer discounts to customers who choose to have both done. Lol. We give them a discount on the labor for it usually and most of the time they opt for both. Things we absolutely won’t replace singles of are brake rotors, suspension components and spark plugs.

Back