Quality Wheel Bearing

I’ve had good luck Koyo on Lexus/Toyota’s, but they’re all hit or miss. I’ve had Beck Arnley fail in 7,000 miles.

If it were me I’d go to my closest parts store and buy whatever they have with a lifetime warranty because if the online bearing goes it’s inconvenient to exchange/warranty/get the new one, meanwhile you’re driving around with a bad bearing. IMO

We offer discounts to customers who choose to have both done. Lol. We give them a discount on the labor for it usually and most of the time they opt for both. Things we absolutely won’t replace singles of are brake rotors, suspension components and spark plugs.
A friend of mine owns a German repair shop, he says he’s found it to be better to quote everyone high, saying it also may need (this or that when he’s in there), then when he finishes he always tries to give them a lower price. Says it takes pressure off him and leaves the customers happy. Then again if you only service Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, BMW, VW...your customers probably are going to be less frugal anyway. Plus it’s either him or the dealer.

You can always run to your local Napa, Carquest, etc and see what's in the box if they have one in stock. Could be great or not. If not, or the price is not what you want. Mail-order.
I'm sure they all love that.

What can I do for you? I'd like to see part number 1234. Sure, I'll get it for you right now....Here you go. OK thanks. That'll be $120. No thanks, I was just checking where it was made in and will buy it cheaper online.

SKF. Me personally I always change both sides because otherwise it messes with my OCD and plus I feel any time there is two or more of something they should be changed together. Just what I have done and have been taught to do.
I never do both. One side can get damaged without the other. I had to put a hub in our old Tahoe @116 k. Sold it with 188k and the other bearing was still ok

SKF. Me personally I always change both sides because otherwise it messes with my OCD and plus I feel any time there is two or more of something they should be changed together. Just what I have done and have been taught to do.
Normally I would agree, but given the iffiness of replacement bearings I'd only change the bad side.

Thanks for all the advice. I went to order from Rock Auto and of course they are now out of stock. I will see if I can find SKF from other sources or locally.

Normally I would agree, but given the iffiness of replacement bearings I'd only change the bad side.

On a car you own and see every day that's perfectly fine. There's overwhelmingly a lot of time to order the other side and shedule replacement (maybe considering the weather aswell) before replacement becomes critically urgent.

On a customer car, it's a risk, you might get a bad review if the other side becomes noisy a few weeks after.

SKF....if other feels fine dont bother with it. My old 02 Volvo that brother now has, still has 2 orig in it at 560k klms

Problem is, skf and others buy the parts they don't produce from other vendors. So there might not be skf produced parts in the box. Probably not the case for a popular item, but be careful to pay extra for something just to get the brand name.

Problem is, skf and others buy the parts they don't produce from other vendors. So there might not be skf produced parts in the box. Probably not the case for a popular item, but be careful to pay extra for something just to get the brand name.
So far I have not seen that with SKF....and it would get returned if it wasnt skf! 😆

I'm sure they all love that.

What can I do for you? I'd like to see part number 1234. Sure, I'll get it for you right now....Here you go. OK thanks. That'll be $120. No thanks, I was just checking where it was made in and will buy it cheaper online.
Buy it and return it then if you're that squeamish. LOL.

Really.... now you all are showing your age. ;) Its ok back in the day your answers would have been pretty spot on but....... Unfortunately it does not matter so much as it once did. It is more where the "specific" bearing is manufactured. All of those companies have sold off or re organized in the last 30 years the quality of all of them is not what it use to be. There was a large article a few years back in Counterman's Magazine explaining this whole bearing and seal industry and the changes. I would stay with UK ,USA, Japan and Germany for a country of manufactured bearings. Need I say which country(s) to think twice about using?
I am just curious and only wondering why BCA was not on the list of choices?

Really.... now you all are showing your age. ;) Its ok back in the day your answers would have been pretty spot on but....... Unfortunately it does not matter so much as it once did. It is more where the "specific" bearing is manufactured. All of those companies have sold off or re organized in the last 30 years the quality of all of them is not what it use to be. There was a large article a few years back in Counterman's Magaz

If possible in the comment section of your order I would ask that your parts be from one country of origin. You could even specify which country you would rather or rather not get them from.

Don't be surprised if they decline it. This often happens and I simply use another source and at times must pay a (for) few dollars more.
Hey that 'sa movie title... LOL

I like how so many suggesting SKF... LOL I love SKF, for sure, but not when some of their products are made in China. ;)

Hate to resurrect an old thread... but.... sooooo many choices on Rock Auto for wheel hubs!

IS the whole Timken (Chinese or USA made) debate still in effect? Any other good choices? There's about two dozen offered on Rock Auto.

Looking to replace mine on a 2001 Buick. Thanks!

Hate to resurrect an old thread... but.... sooooo many choices on Rock Auto for wheel hubs!

IS the whole Timken (Chinese or USA made) debate still in effect? Any other good choices? There's about two dozen offered on Rock Auto.

I use Timken or NSK for my vehicles. Check the hearts next to the part on rock auto, it indicates the most popular brands sold. Don't get a off label bearing based on that, but it inspires confidence when you see timken or nsk as a popular brand.

I would not ever buy a bearing from GM again. I had a bearing replaced in my 2017 Lacrosse (LR) at 9,000k. Replacement bearing also failed 2k later. The bearing was failing again 4k later.. All replaced under warranty. When we turned the car in, the right rear was almost dead.

I use Timken or NSK for my vehicles. Check the hearts next to the part on rock auto, it indicates the most popular brands sold. Don't get a off label bearing based on that, but it inspires confidence when you see timken or nsk as a popular brand.

I would not ever buy a bearing from GM again. I had a bearing replaced in my 2017 Lacrosse (LR) at 9,000k. Replacement bearing also failed 2k later. The bearing was failing again 4k later.. All replaced under warranty. When we turned the car in, the right rear was almost dead.
Thank you for this! Yes, It would appear GM sourced from a bad supplier that can't make a long-lasting bearing. Sigh...
I appreciate the Rock Auto info... Timken has a heart next to it... (And I always remembered from years ago they made bearings)
I don't want to "Cheap-out" on an important part like this but read somewhere that most of these parts where made in... you guessed it - China.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if your failed GM bearings were made there and on the cheap. Funny how "American" cars use crap fro all over...
But hey...that's for another conversation.

Too late here.
Both my full size chevys got skf. I think cost wise was at the top of what R.A. had except maybe A/C delco original equipment but I didn't want to re do them in 50k

I used a Timken bearing on a Chrysler minivan a while back. I paid extra for the Timken, thinking it would be a quality part, and I wouldn't need to do the job twice. Well, the Timken (Made in China) lasted all of six months until it failed.

So, I ordered an SKF the second time around, and used that. I think the SKF was made in Korea, for what it's worth. It has so far lasted 2 1/2 years, and I haven't had any problems. If I need to do this sort of job on any other vehicles, I'm going to default to SKF first.

Back