Quality Wheel Bearing

I used a Timken bearing on a Chrysler minivan a while back. I paid extra for the Timken, thinking it would be a quality part, and I wouldn't need to do the job twice. Well, the Timken (Made in China) lasted all of six months until it failed.

So, I ordered an SKF the second time around, and used that. I think the SKF was made in Korea, for what it's worth. It has so far lasted 2 1/2 years, and I haven't had any problems. If I need to do this sort of job on any other vehicles, I'm going to default to SKF first.
So it boils down to the country of manufacturer? I was under the assumption Timken was made here... (Maybe some are...) I wish I knew the answer...
I hear a lot about the SKF brand (here) but don't see them highlighted on RockAuto... Interesting.

It's not so much the country of origin as it is whether you're buying aftermarket vs OEM. Each are made to completely different quality standards.

I bought the cheapest local bearing assembly I could find for my beater. It was a NAPA house brand but said SKF on the box.

How does that work out with your customers ? Even my smoooth talking cant convince some to do what you are saying to do even if we both know it is better. LOL
I used to be like this too. I would not dream of doing only "one side". Now, that friggin' thing isn't getting anything it doesn't need!

My wife's vehicle I'm a bit more picky and it might get both bearings. Maybe.

So it boils down to the country of manufacturer? I was under the assumption Timken was made here... (Maybe some are...) I wish I knew the answer...
I hear a lot about the SKF brand (here) but don't see them highlighted on RockAuto... Interesting.
Why skf is not oem supplier on Infiniti, but Ntn is? And ntn oem code wheelbearing does not fit with Infiniti G35 but does fit on nissan 350z. Abs ring does not match?

Problem is, skf and others buy the parts they don't produce from other vendors. So there might not be skf produced parts in the box. Probably not the case for a popular item, but be careful to pay extra for something just to get the brand name.
Somebody said skf went off in 2 days? Howcom?

Back