Quality Quadrajet Carb?

My opinion is that the Edelbrock carb's are junk. I have had several and they were just trouble. I had much better luck with a Holley and thats my recomendation
I agree. Back in the 90's I bought two different Edelbrock Performer carbs brand new and could never get either of them to work correctly on my small block chevy and then on my BB chevy. They were practically new when I removed them and they are still sitting on a shelf in my garage after almost 30 years.

I agree. Back in the 90's I bought two different Edelbrock Performer carbs brand new and could never get either of them to work correctly on my small block chevy and then on my BB chevy. They were practically new when I removed them and they are still sitting on a shelf in my garage after almost 30 years.
I read about builders taking a deep dive with these- redrilling passages etc to get them running as intended. Fun fact- the Rochester factory had production issues for a time (fire) Carter took over supplying the Q-jet, exact carb just labeled different.

I bought a new Edelbrock Quadrajet back when they still made them and it's still on the 396 BB in my 70 Monte Carlo. It's been a great carb and has been on the car since the late 90's.
I have owned several vehicles with the long time Rochester Quadrajets and really can not recall ANY carb issues on any of those trucks or cars. I always kept the engines shiny clean and used to tighten screws and bolts on the carbs every so often. Also would routinely spray carb cleaner inside and out. The biggest issue I ever had with a carb equiped engine was vacuum leaks or loose manifold bolts etc......

I read about builders taking a deep dive with these- redrilling passages etc to get them running as intended. Fun fact- the Rochester factory had production issues for a time (fire) Carter took over supplying the Q-jet, exact carb just labeled different.
YES. I did have one of the Quads marked with a metal tag with something like ....."Carter/Q-Jet" on it and remember being surprised by that because it looked just like and official GM authorized Quad. Some do not know but many automakers traded and used other carbs between different applications & manufacturers. Ford used lots of Motorcraft carbs after Holley and then some 70s era big block FE Ford engines in the 428cui or 429cui sizes came with Quads for a time. Not sure if that was a delivery issue or they found those big blocks ran better with the Qs? Just like some of the GM big block Chevelle and early Monte Carlo engines came with Holley carbs that were originally associated with Ford from back when Henry Ford started the original FMC.

I spent hours on the phone with Edelbrock tech support back then trying to figure out why they wouldn't run right. The biggest issue was I had a big bog right off idle with both of these. I even tried different rods and jets on the 1911 that I was using on the big block and still could not get it to run right. I finally gave up on them and bought a new Edelbrock Q-jet which is still on the car today.

I have owned several vehicles with the long time Rochester Quadrajets and really can not recall ANY carb issues on any of those trucks or cars. I always kept the engines shiny clean and used to tighten screws and bolts on the carbs every so often. Also would routinely spray carb cleaner inside and out. The biggest issue I ever had with a carb equiped engine was vacuum leaks or loose manifold bolts etc......
Q-jets are great carbs when they run right. When I first bought my 70 Monte Carlo, it had the original 400 small block in it and someone at some point had put a factory style 4 barrel intake on it with a Q-Jet. It ran okay but the carb was kind of wore out but it did run better than any of the different carbs I tried on it after that.

I have one, possibly two cores you can have for a song if you're interested. They were used on my old '76 Chevy 350 over 20 years ago and been sitting in boxes in my garage ever since. One had the shaft bushings installed and rebuilt at Brad Urban's Carb Shop many, many, years ago.

After a day or so of reading, I’m leaning towards changing to an Edelbrock Performer intake with a new 500 CFM AVS2 Edelbrock carb. All new. Not “rebuilt 25 years ago by a professional “. Electric choke. Warranty. Sure, it may need some tuning but at least that doesn’t void a warranty. I’m tired of pig rich, inconsistent idle, and stalling when hot. I’m going to block off the heat riser passages in the heads/intake and run an insulator base gasket. 500 CFM will be plenty for a stock 350 Pontiac. Thanks all.
Folks been going the route for years. You should be happy once you get something like this put in place.

Folks been going the route for years. You should be happy once you get something like this put in place.
Thanks. That’s what the plan is now.

The Quadrajet has a very distinct sound at WOT when run with an open element air filter

bbbbwwaaahhhhhhhhhh..........
They sure did. We used to turn our air filter covers over to make a 1" or 2" of clearance to make them suck in air similar to the open air element ones. Yes indeed they had that woosh sound. Every been lucky enough to ride in or hear one of those 70s era Mopar 6 pack engines with Ram Air induction kick in!? Now that could not only pin you to the seat. In some cases one would have to change under garments after that ride! (y)

I have never heard of anyone who had luck with a rebuilt Quadrajet. "Quadrajunk" is how they were referred to as around here, the Nascar capitol.

I have never heard of anyone who had luck with a rebuilt Quadrajet. "Quadrajunk" is how they were referred to as around here, the Nascar capitol.
I've been running a quadrajet on my 84 Cutlass since I put it on the road around 2006. I barely ever touch the thing, I just get in the car and go these days.
There are reputable builders out there and they are really good if you want fuel economy and/or extremely cold starting ability. I have a couple cold start videos of my 83 Caprice starting in like minus 25c and I have started it in as cold as -32c. It cranked for like 3 seconds and fired up and idled.

Back