Quality Quadrajet Carb?

Any recommendations for a quality remanufactured Quadrajet carb? Real life experience please. I have to replace a junk one that’s not a rebuildable core.

I can tell for sure that the new one's from Summit are trash. I went thru 2 before getting one that worked atleast well enough to be able to fine tune it myself. They come as is and not even base lined to run when you install - the floats are not even set! Best bet is to rebuild the one you have if you can. I am happy I kept my core as it can be rebuilt one day.

Qjet carbs worked well very when new and healthy. However as time goes by, they are/were, in my opinion, a disaster. The castings are very unstable, the various components unreliable, passageways shift and clog, vacuum leaks, gasket leaks, etc. It's not just one thing, it's everything wrong, all at once. I had a love/hate relationship with the things.

After a day or so of reading, I’m leaning towards changing to an Edelbrock Performer intake with a new 500 CFM AVS2 Edelbrock carb. All new. Not “rebuilt 25 years ago by a professional “. Electric choke. Warranty. Sure, it may need some tuning but at least that doesn’t void a warranty. I’m tired of pig rich, inconsistent idle, and stalling when hot. I’m going to block off the heat riser passages in the heads/intake and run an insulator base gasket. 500 CFM will be plenty for a stock 350 Pontiac. Thanks all.

Any recommendations for a quality remanufactured Quadrajet carb? Real life experience please. I have to replace a junk one that’s not a rebuildable core.
Summit online has many offerings to chose from with very decent prices. Lots of folks switch from quads to other brands. I never liked doing that. I always liked to replace in kind with oem parts as often as possible especially since I was not into racing. Just cruising! :)

Summit online has many offerings to chose from with very decent prices. Lots of folks switch from quads to other brands. I never liked doing that. I always liked to replace in kind with oem parts as often as possible especially since I was not into racing. Just cruising! :)
I’m with you Sir but 40 to 50+ year old cores aren’t ideal anymore…

After a day or so of reading, I’m leaning towards changing to an Edelbrock Performer intake with a new 500 CFM AVS2 Edelbrock carb. All new. Not “rebuilt 25 years ago by a professional “. Electric choke. Warranty. Sure, it may need some tuning but at least that doesn’t void a warranty. I’m tired of pig rich, inconsistent idle, and stalling when hot. I’m going to block off the heat riser passages in the heads/intake and run an insulator base gasket. 500 CFM will be plenty for a stock 350 Pontiac. Thanks all.
My opinion is that the Edelbrock carb's are junk. I have had several and they were just trouble. I had much better luck with a Holley and thats my recomendation

Reactions: wtd
My opinion is that the Edelbrock carb's are junk. I have had several and they were just trouble. I had much better luck with a Holley and thats my recomendation
Carbs are troublesome. It really is the luck of the draw what you end up with. The last Edelbrock carb was great on my big block Chevy. Loved the electric choke and the ability to fine tune with their kits.

I just emailed Lars. Thanks!
Lars is the man. C2 - C3 Corvette and GTO people know all about him. Tell him I said hello; not sure if he will remember me.

The biggest problem you will have is finding a good core. Q-Jets are excellent carbs, probably the best for driveability. If you need all out RPM power, then you want a fuel dumper Holley style carb.

I've been watching too much youtube lately, Derek and Dalton and their tricks. Dalton recently rebuilt a carb with a stick (whacking it to unstick the float). Good times. FWIW Thunderhead289 seems to have some content about carb and timing tuning, I can't vouch for it but he talks through it, if you have the time it may be worth a watch.

But that doesn't explain where to get a good carb, sorry.

How much do you plan to drive it, and under what conditions? I mean, that sets the budget and the expectations.

I had Bruce from Carburetors Unlimited build a Q-jet for my AMC 304, this thing has never ran so good! He is very knowledgeable on Q-jet’s and has a ton of good cores on the shelf. He’s located in Peoria AZ, his number is 623-399-0179. I don’t think he has a website. It’s definitely worth calling him, highly recommend.

Working with antique boats, I grew to hate carburetors, that's why when we went used boat shopping, we got one with SEFI. Have you considered a drop-in fuel injection kit? I've used one of the Holley ones and it's surprisingly good, and VERY easy to setup.

Back