quality 5W-40 oil for S2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. As in the title, i am looking for a quality 5W-40 oil for my S2000. It seems a hard job to find an A3/B3/B4 group 4 (or group 5) oil, so i decided to ask for your help. At the moment i use Total Quartz Energy 5W-40. Looked into various 5W-40 oils, Motul 8100 X-cess and X-Clean, Mobil, Castrol, all are group 3. So what are the options for a quality A3/B3 pao or ester 5W-40? I simply want the best possible protection for the engine and if possible low noack as it consumes a lot, 2 litres per oil change. Oil changes happen every 6500km along with the oil filter (only genuine Honda PCX filter), temps don't get below zero celsius, and that's only for a few days per year, average temp 23 degrees Celsius aprox. Daily driven and occasasionaly fast road driving, no track use.

Last edited:
The Pennzoil 5w-40 Euro is approved by Mercedes Benz, Porsche and most everyone else, just like Mobil 1 0w-40. Both are excellent. I have idea of their price and availability in Greece. They are A3/B3/B4 as well. I wouldn't be too hung up on Group 3+ vs. PAO unless it's specifically listed in your new car's warranty. From what I've read around here the difference in performance between PAO and Group 3+ is more about advertising than anything else. With a 6500 km / 4000 mile OCI, Group 3 is more than enough. Even a quality group 2/3 conventional can give you that mileage.

With a 4000 mile Oil Change Interval (OCI) you can probably use any quality oil with good results. I would say you are in the "buy whatever is on sale" category ... the best situation to be in, by the way.

Castrol Edge 0w40 is predominantly Group IV based, so is M1 Ow40. Another good choice is Shell Helix Ultra 5w40, GTL based oil, and very competitively priced.

Honda recommends conventional 10W30 for temp above 0F(minus 18C) and 5W40 if temp is below 0F, regardless how many times a day you WOT the engine up to 9,000 RPM after fully warm up.

S2000 isn't hard on oil, and Greece isn't that cold during winter. But if you like xW40 then Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec 0W40 will do well for 6-8k miles OCI.

I used conventional and synthetic 10W30 in my 2004 S2000 since new wihout problems. I also mixed 0W40 with xW20 to get HTHS around 3.2-3.3.

I'm running Red Line 5w40 in my 02 S2000 , it's a bit expensive but I only change the oil once per season so it isn't a big deal. Red Line 5w30 is a good option as well, as it is a thicker 30 weight almost approaching 40 weight specs.

In Europe Motul 5w40 seems to be popular but I've seen UOA's on S2000's where it has sheared in viscosity, whereas Red Line has never sheared on my S2000.

If you want an over the counter oil I'd probably go with Castrol Edge or Pennzoil Ultra.

Thank you everyone for the replies. I expected you would tell me that a group 3 is adequate for such short OCIs. Which is actually good for my pocket
eek.gif

Between the Total Quartz Energy 9000 5W-40, Motul 8100 X-Cess and Shell Helix Ultra 0W-40 and 5W-40, which has the best additive package and best quality base oil? Which one would be your choice? These three are easily available over here, and at reasonable prices.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Honda recommends conventional 10W30 for temp above 0F(minus 18C) and 5W40 if temp is below 0F, regardless how many times a day you WOT the engine up to 9,000 RPM after fully warm up.

S2000 isn't hard on oil, and Greece isn't that cold during winter. But if you like xW40 then Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec 0W40 will do well for 6-8k miles OCI.

I used conventional and synthetic 10W30 in my 2004 S2000 since new wihout problems. I also mixed 0W40 with xW20 to get HTHS around 3.2-3.3.

Indeed, but 10W-30 is hard to find over here as not many cars/manufacturers call for it, so i am using the alternative 5W-40 speced by Honda

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Castrol Edge 0w40 is predominantly Group IV based, so is M1 Ow40. Another good choice is Shell Helix Ultra 5w40, GTL based oil, and very competitively priced.

I never considered 0W-40 oil to be honest, thinking it will break down to a 30 too fast

Originally Posted By: JSRT4
If you want an over the counter oil I'd probably go with Castrol Edge or Pennzoil Ultra.

Pennzoil is next to impossible to get here, but Edge is avaulable in every corner. Which Edge are you refering too though?

Edge a3/b4.

The car specs 30 wt as well as 40, therefore your 40 wt dropping to a 30 wt is perfectly fine. Any above mentioned are more than enough, find the one that is priced right and don't worry.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Edge a3/b4.

The car specs 30 wt as well as 40, therefore your 40 wt dropping to a 30 wt is perfectly fine. Any above mentioned are more than enough, find the one that is priced right and don't worry.

Edge A3/B4 is the only one that says "vollsynthese" on the label, but i can't find the MSDS to check if it's a pao or group3. The price for the Edge A3/B4 is acceptable.
Motul 8100 Xcess also says "100% synthetic" on the label, but every MSDS i can find mentions about hydrocracking and no word about pao.
All the Mobil1s are group3 in Europe, all say HC Synthese on the label no exception.

The point is, if i am going to pay for a more expensive oil, i want it to be better, not pay double the price of what i pay now for the Total to get the same thing

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Can you get 5W40 Valvoline there?

Hard to find

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MINick

Pennzoil is next to impossible to get here, but Edge is avaulable in every corner. Which Edge are you refering too though?

What is labelled as Pennzoil in the US is usually the same as Shell elsewhere.

I never considered 0W-40 oil to be honest, thinking it will break down to a 30 too fast

Remember that conventional 10W30 was the only recommendation grade for S2000 from 1999 until 2004. Starting 2004 Honda recommended 5W40 for colder climate.

Castrol Edge and M1 0W40 may shear down to 30 grade in few thousands miles, but it still is not thinner than conventional 10W30 at operating temperature.

These two oils passed many tough specs such as Porsche, Mercerdes, BMW ... these engines are much harder on oil than S2000, many S2000 owners in US use M1 0W40 without problems, even for tracking.

Also, conventional 10W30 are mostly group II oil with small percentage of group III oil(if at all), now you are using synthetic xW40 which is much higher quality than 10W30.

Originally Posted By: BobFout

What is labelled as Pennzoil in the US is usually the same as Shell elsewhere.

Thanks, i didn't know this.

Regarding the additive packages, which has the best from the oils mentioned above? (Total Quartz Energy 9000 5W-40, Motul 8100 X-Cess and Shell Helix Ultra 0W-40 and 5W-40)
All these are very affordable group3 oils with similar pricing

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Remember that conventional 10W30 was the only recommendation grade for S2000 from 1999 until 2004. Starting 2004 Honda recommended 5W40 for colder climate.

Castrol Edge and M1 0W40 may shear down to 30 grade in few thousands miles, but it still is not thinner than conventional 10W30 at operating temperature.

These two oils passed many tough specs such as Porsche, Mercerdes, BMW ... these engines are much harder on oil than S2000, many S2000 owners in US use M1 0W40 without problems, even for tracking.

Also, conventional 10W30 are mostly group II oil with small percentage of group III oil(if at all), now you are using synthetic xW40 which is much higher quality than 10W30.

I can't disagree in anything you said, i will only point that from what i notice, there is a big mess about the US and EU oils, most are different between the two continents, even if they share the same label.
What were the properties of the 10W-30 oil Honda speced? I would gladly use 10W-30 oil if i could find a good example available over here, i can only find motorbike oils in this viscosity, Red Line 10W-30 at 17,5eur/litre and Torco SR-1 at 14,5eur/litre. That's 122EUR / 100 EUR aprox per oil change taking into account the fill ups (plus the oil filter), too much.

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
I wouldn't be hung up on oil too much considering the amount your using between OCI's.

I am not happy with the ammount it consumes, no matter if people say it's not that much for an AP1.
And since my knowledge is limited, what is more important, the base stock or the additive package?

What's the year/mileage?

As far as I know, Pennzoil is not available in Turkey, and Shell's product line up is totally different over there. I guess their products are same/similar in Greece.

2 Litres for 6k kms is a little bit high. Have you checked the PCV valve?

I know that some viscosities such as 10w30 is hard to find in that region, you could try 10w40.

It's a 2000 with 70k miles. Compression test shows 235-240psi across all 4. I have new valve seals and AP2 retainers/keepers to throw on, will see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't, i will pull the head and replace the rings, if the bores are ok. I checked the pcv, it's fine, although i am pretty sure it does suck oil from the pcv sometimes, Honda changed the design on the AP2s, and the Ap1 valve cover is no longer available, they sell the updated ones with the new pcv, that has to say something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back