Quaker State Ultimate Protection 5W30 $18.82 for 5 quarts Walmart

1000032110.jpg
1000032114.jpg

The savings is no big deal on my twice a year oil change regimen, but thanks for the heads up. I'll grab a jug this weekend of the 10W30.

O.P. Run the proven greatly superior QSFS 10W30 - and now change every two to three months, for crying out loud!

Looks like a good report for your Ecoboost. You change your oil once a month.. interesting.
My vehicles are work vehicles. Stop&go, lots of idle and the trip meter on one says average speed 26 mph. I change it at 3000 miles according to Fords "Extreme Service" chart. Its impossible to calculate all the idle time as there is no hour meter on it. Im not sure if its best defined as severe or extreme service so just in case I go by Fords shortest interval. I also go by what mechanics tell me. The mechanics work on these cars every day.

I know on this website they are into extended drain intervals, however, I do not go by whats touted on an internet site. I let Ford and my mechanics tell me whats best. The most extended interval Ford suggests is 10000 miles for "Normal Service". The mechanics tell me no more then 5000 for even "Normal Service".

QSUP 10w-30 would be superior. Better temperature handling. Better handling of sludge & deposits.
Ah HA! the super-premium oil tier marketing with more checkboxes.

The UPFS has not been available in my area, and I was primarily addressing the Winter rating.

I ran the 10w30 QSFS to good effect on my diluter AWD 2.0L Ford ecosport.
Superior to any 5wXX, including the excellent Valvoline Advanced 5w30 that is the sump now.

How do you get -54degC pour point from penny-pincher basestock blend in a Dexos1G3 10w30?
QSFS 10W30.jpg

My vehicles are work vehicles. Stop&go, lots of idle and the trip meter on one says average speed 26 mph. I change it at 3000 miles according to Fords "Extreme Service" chart. Its impossible to calculate all the idle time as there is no hour meter on it. Im not sure if its best defined as severe or extreme service so just in case I go by Fords shortest interval. I also go by what mechanics tell me. The mechanics work on these cars every day.

I know on this website they are into extended drain intervals, however, I do not go by whats touted on an internet site. I let Ford and my mechanics tell me whats best. The most extended interval Ford suggests is 10000 miles for "Normal Service". The mechanics tell me no more then 5000 for even "Normal Service".
No explanation needed & It was just an observation. I agree with everything you've stated here though & you bring up an excellent point about the unknown hours as a good reason to change at 3k. (y)

Ah HA! the super-premium oil tier marketing with more checkboxes.

The UPFS has not been available in my area, and I was primarily addressing the Winter rating.

I ran the 10w30 QSFS to good effect on my diluter AWD 2.0L Ford ecosport.
Superior to any 5wXX, including the excellent Valvoline Advanced 5w30 that is the sump now.

How do you get -54degC pour point from penny-pincher basestock blend in a Dexos1G3 10w30?
I'm in no way downgrading their Non Ultimate Protection Full Synthetic as I think it's perfectly capable but the Ultimate Protection does include more marketing checkmarks so I'll assume it has the right formula for it's intended purpose witch is extended drains further than the standard full synthetic. Again, that's not to say that basic FS is not perfectly capable of many thousands of miles & yes it shows a very good pour point for an off the shelf 10w-30 that is quite impressive. Though the Ultimate Protection does have Gas to Liquid base stocks after all. :)

Not sure if mechanics are qualified to start dictating OC intervals. How would they even know what condition the oil is in and what each and every vehicle they service duty cycles are?

im suprised it meets dexos 1gen3 with that much calciam
1500 is the ceiling number. So this listed 1341 number fits the bill just fine.
Sub / under1000 Calcium is what I shop for, with my 2.4 GDI.
Currently Castrol Gold Edge 20k, Mobil-1 20k, Fram 20k and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, dips below 1000 Calcium. Both Quaker State 20k and Supetech 20k do not.

Last edited:
Not sure if mechanics are qualified to start dictating OC intervals. How would they even know what condition the oil is in and what each and every vehicle they service duty cycles are?
A master mechanic especially one at a dealership replaces and takes apart engines all the time. The Ford Tech on youtube is a good example. He brings out engines and shows us the basis for his opinion even using the "boroscope". He shows us the mud looking fluids, etc. The mechanics might not be engineers or have a formal education, but they work on this all the time. However its not just the mechanics but the vehicle maker saying it as well as my own tests. If the viscosity is turned into a 5W20 at 3000 miles what about 6000? There is also a fleet 150k warranty on all the vehicles and if I went against the vehicle makers instructions that warranty might not be honored if the engine fails.

Also goes to show that a low pour point doesn’t exactly equal superior winter performance.
True, or would be classified 5w- or 0w-

The CCS and MRV are not knocking on their upper spec limit, they are very good reported values for this grade. I have run this oil coming out of Winter in past seasons and it perfomed well on a few days with well below freezing - and ungaraged - cold starts, as it should. - Ken

1500 is the ceiling number. So this listed 1341 number fits the bill just fine.
Sub / under1000 Calcium is what I shop for, with my 2.4 GDI.
Currently Castrol Gold Edge 20k, Mobil-1 20k, Fram 20k and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, dips below 1000 Calcium. Both Quaker State 20k and Supetech 20k do not.

Also applies to S.P..

IMG_2468.JPG

A master mechanic especially one at a dealership replaces and takes apart engines all the time. The Ford Tech on youtube is a good example. He brings out engines and shows us the basis for his opinion even using the "boroscope". He shows us the mud looking fluids, etc. The mechanics might not be engineers or have a formal education, but they work on this all the time. However its not just the mechanics but the vehicle maker saying it as well as my own tests. If the viscosity is turned into a 5W20 at 3000 miles what about 6000? There is also a fleet 150k warranty on all the vehicles and if I went against the vehicle makers instructions that warranty might not be honored if the engine fails.
Yes Nav I understand, but I wasn't aiming it at you or the YT guy, just most mechanics word in general is not what I would go by. In fact, if push came to shove between mechanics and say Bitogers, I for one would choose the latter.

Back