Quaker State question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! This is my first post, after a few weeks lurking. I have a question about Quaker State oil. No one seems to mention it. I used to work at a muffler/brake shop and that's what we stocked, although the old timers said it was a discount oil and not up to the top of the line stuff like Castrol. Still, they had a 250,000 engine warranty with 4,000 mile change intervals. Does anyone have any experience with any of their products?

Also, I read in an old post that people who ask for advice are really looking for an accomplice. Truer words never spoken. I have been using Mobil 1 5w-30 and a Mobil 1 filter (M110)in my 2000 Maxima and Delvac 1 5w-40 in my TDI Beetle. But the Autozone near me has German Castrol Syntec and the NAPA has Amsoil.
wink.gif
I'm excited to change my oil in two months, do I need a hobby or what.
grin.gif

welcome.gif
As you know,you'll find a lot of good info here.

I am a Quaker State user,have been for over 25 years.I use the 15w40 in my '02 Dodge truck,and have used the 10w30 in the past in my wife's Jeep.I also use it in my two other cars.I have no problem using it,and it's been a good oil in my book.

Christ2421. What motor in the 02? I have an 02 1500 and I never see posts in here other then mine on the 4.7L. Since your using 15w-40 i take it you have the Cummins?

You're right, there's not a lot of info. on QS here. Especially since it's the #2 seller in the country. If I was ranking the top four oils I'd put it in a tie with Castrol. Better than Valvoline, but not quite up to Pennzoil.

That's based on what I've read here and on Edmunds. So it's not scientific. There are a limited number of posters on these boards so what they say is interesting but not statistically valid. In a parallel universe somewhere, you could just as easily have five QS users extoling the oil's benefit and everyone would think that it was tops.

[ August 25, 2003, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: csandste ]

Totally non-scientific, but my Honda V-6 ran smoother with QS 5w-30 than Castrol GTX 5w-30. Can't prove it. This was both in cold weather and summer heat. I wonder if that reduced friction of QS has any basis?

Starbreaker, Nope no diesel,just a 4.7 gasser.It just turned over 23K and my gas mileage on a 200 mile trip was 20.7mpg at 72 mph.That 15w40 ain't bad stuff.

[ August 26, 2003, 12:04 AM: Message edited by: Chris 2421 ]

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
Yeah,you got the bug , Don. I believe Pennzoil bought Q/S last year, probably explains lack of talk about it.

dunno.gif

"• On December 30, 1998, Quaker State Corporation was merged with Pennzoil Company's marketing, manufacturing and fast oil change businesses to form Pennzoil-Quaker State Company, a worldwide leader in consumer automotive products and vehicle care.
• On October 1, 2002, the acquisition of Pennzoil-Quaker State Company by Shell Oil Company, an affiliate of the Royal Dutch/Shell Group of Companies, was completed. In May of 2003, Pennzoil-Quaker State Company began doing business as SOPUS Products. Combining Shell lubricant's networks and infrastructure and Pennzoil-Quaker State Company's leading motor oil brands, portfolio of car care brands and Jiffy Lube stores, the new company is a leader in the U.S. lubricants and car care business."
http://www.quakerstate.com/pages/about/index.asp

Ken

Starbreaker666, I just traded in my Dakota QC with 4.7. I owned it for two years. I always ran Mobil 1 in it. 15W50 in the warmer months 10W30 in the colder months. I cahnaged the oil every 6 months or 5000 miles. When I drove it I could hit 5000 miles in 2 months when the wife drove it she put about 60 miles a week on it. I ran redline C+ trany fluid in the trans. I tried Amsoil in the t/case and powersteering system. I never had any problems with anything on the truck other then recalls and under warranty evap system repair. The evap canister has hard plastic lines and mine kept cracking. They would bounce against the frame rail and crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back