Quaker State API SP

Has anyone seen anything about Quaker State and API SP? I have been looking for an updated PDS and can't find anything. Their website is still talking about the changes for SN+. I saw PYB will be a sun blend now for API SP but they have a special conventional for quick lube places.

02640F48-2DAE-42EB-9D5A-01DBDD454B90.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I believe 6a is Dexos 1 and 6b is Dexos 2.
I think that's what I read.

No matter the subject, it is always best to verify what you think is true before posting.

Why the API would even have a correlation to a GM license I'm not sure.

Originally Posted by MontePrix28
GF-6A is for 0W-20 and up (5/20,5/30,0/30 etc), while GF-6B is for 0W-16 and lower (so eventually 0W-12, 0w-8, etc).

Makes me wonder, where does regular vegetable oil sit? A solid 30?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn

No matter the subject, it is always best to verify what you think is true before posting.

Mr. Happy has arrived
Go figure !!!!🤨🤨🤨

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Originally Posted by kschachn

Mr. Happy has arrived
Go figure !!!!🤨🤨🤨

ksch....
As long as posts contains degrees of non-sureness, no we don't. Uncertainty - when stated as such, is acceptable here.
Now go run along please and try to stay on-subject, not on member. A large amount of your posts discuss the poster, instead of topic

Last edited:
As long as posts contains degrees of non-sureness, no we don't. Uncertainty - when stated as such, is acceptable here.
Now go run along please and try to stay on-subject, not on member. A large amount of your posts discuss the poster, instead of topic

A large amount of your posts are inaccurate.

It is a completely valid question as to why an API license designation would somehow be related to a GM license. Like I said, it is a good idea to validate stuff that may pop into your head before you post. That is a good idea, right?

Originally Posted by csandste
The PYB conventional isn't really conventional. It's labeled that way so that quick lube places don't have to change their pricing tiers or put up new signs.

PYB isn't all GII+ any more?

What did I miss?

Originally Posted by csandste
The PYB conventional isn't really conventional. It's labeled that way so that quick lube places don't have to change their pricing tiers or put up new signs.

PYB isn't all GII+ any more?

What did I miss?
My understanding is that only ExxonMobil can meet Group SN /SN+/SP with only Group II/II+ base stocks. That doesn't mean that they don't sell a lot of this to a wide variety of blenders.

My understanding is that only ExxonMobil can meet Group SN /SN+/SP with only Group II/II+ base stocks. That doesn't mean that they don't sell a lot of this to a wide variety of blenders.

I think that may be an over simplification. The reality is it likely takes a certain VI Index in order to formulate a given product. I'm not sure it matters a whole lot whether you mix GII/GIII or go with a high end GII+ to get the same VI. I would think the manufacturer would look at the cost of the base stock and the additive package and go with what is most cost effective. If you use the same process to make GII and GIII then a high end GII+ should not be difficult. I don't see why Shell couldn't do Pure-Base or Chevron Iso-Syn to those specs.

It is a discussion. People can share their thoughts without verification. He made clear he wasn't solid on it and that should be enough. Think of it like being at a bar sitting around with friends, with a beer. Of course, occasionally someone at the table will chime in and be an a-h*** or act like the discussion police, but that's life in a bar discussion, right?

It is a discussion. People can share their thoughts without verification. He made clear he wasn't solid on it and that should be enough. Think of it like being at a bar sitting around with friends, with a beer. Of course, occasionally someone at the table will chime in and be an a-h*** or act like the discussion police, but that's life in a bar discussion, right?

Something like this is even better than a “bar discussion”.

Paragraph 5 explains the difference between 6A and 6B.

Back