QSUD 5W30 in 2.3 Ecoboost

The 2.3's are looking to be decently easy on oil, the only concern is extended changes and soot loading (timing chain wear) and GDI Valve deposits. Both of those lead me to a 5k OCI for this particular motor. I usually use Havoline LifeLong 5W30 (Syn), but it was hard to get for a bit, so the next few changes will be with Havoline HM 5W30 (SemiSyn). IMO with the 5K changes, anything that meets the Motorcraft (or better) spec should be just fine. I tow pretty heavy with my truck, and don't have any problem using pretty much any oil.

Okay... welcome newcomer.

I suppose stating common sense once in awhile is out of the question, eh?

In my case, some of that sense has been earned the hard way, though life experience and hard knocks.
Newcomer maybe, longtime lurker positively. You're judging the proverbial book cover. There's no excuse for the same old same old I detect a little newcomer prejudice in your response.

Newcomer maybe, longtime lurker positively. You're judging the proverbial book cover. There's no excuse for the same old same old I detect a little newcomer prejudice in your response.
Perhaps. I'm human, too.

Believe it or not, I'm a relative newcomer here as well. Learn something new every few days here. I'm just a pedestrian...

Since you were getting "free" oil changes at the dealer, at the best you most likely got the Motorcraft 5W-30 synthetic blend oil or worse some generic bulk oil. The Quaker State QSUD 5W-30 will be an improvement.
To the best of my knowledge, that Motorcraft syn blend was made by Phillips 66, and always showed great UOA's. I'm a Quaker State full syn fan as well. Is the Quaker State better than Motorcraft???? Both great oils!

To the best of my knowledge, that Motorcraft syn blend was made by Phillips 66, and always showed great UOA's. I'm a Quaker State full syn fan as well. Is the Quaker State better than Motorcraft???? Both great oils!
Does it really matter QSFS lately where I shop is always cheaper and unlike Motorcraft always seems to be more available!

I would tend to think the QSUD is given that it’s a “Full Synthetic” but it’s built off of Group III oil if I recall correctly. It’s a fake, full syn like most!

For those continuing to monitor this, I checked the oil again and it has continued to rise over the past 200 miles. It has pushed past the hole on the dipstick.

Since you were getting "free" oil changes at the dealer, at the best you most likely got the Motorcraft 5W-30 synthetic blend oil or worse some generic bulk oil. The Quaker State QSUD 5W-30 will be an improvement.
This^^^^^^^.

I would tend to think the QSUD is given that it’s a “Full Synthetic” but it’s built off of Group III oil if I recall correctly. It’s a fake, full syn like most!
I picked the Quaker State Full Synthetic 10W30 as it something extra-ordinary. I wanted low to no %VM add also.
Can this oil be a "Fake Syn" if the pour point is -65 F? Also reported MRV is >50,000cP below the ASTM D4684 limit?
And it is branded Resource Conserving with a donut to boot.

I find the oil stunning in situ et in praxi.

Application: Ford 2.0 DI and Toro HD Snowthrower with a big Loncin engine which I pull start.

And I am that reviled guy on here who has been shouting "fake syn" for decades :)

Well everyone, Ford is giving me a loaner. The dealer said there is an “SMM”??? Apparently a service notice or something. The shop foreman said he’s replacing the HPFP first and seeing if that fixes it. He said this is a real issue with the 2.3L. Ford is aware and Ford is actively trying to test their engines to see what is failing.

I had trouble finding info on this oil as well, so here is a link to a fairly uh, robust discussion using this oil in my son's BMW N20. It includes VOA also. Have fun!

What produces less wear , a PAO or GP III of equal quality?

Congrats on the newer truck! QSUD (QSFS) 5W-30 is a great choice. Given it's a turbo-charged GDI engine, please change your oil between 3,000 and 5,000 miles. If you do so -- ignoring your oil life meter -- that engine will live a long, happy life.

BTW, I change the oil in my GM GDI 4-cylinder engine at about 3500 miles -- that's about 50% on its oil life indicator. It's clean as a whistle inside and has going on 170,000 miles on her.

Regular maintenance is the key! Oil is cheap. New engines or turbo-chargers are not.
Do y

Back