PZ QL Bulk 5W-30, 3319Miles, 2005 Pontiac Pursuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first UOA I've done on my '05 Pontiac Pursuit 2.2L Ecotec. The car has had a steady diet of Pennzoil Quick-Lube shop bulk conventional 5W-30 at 5000KM (3125 Miles) OCI's since new. Car had 66,511KM (41,569Miles) on the clock when I drained it. This car sees plenty of short trips and idling in traffic. Also gets to stretch its legs on the highway a little bit. Cartridge filter came out clean but some pleats were a bit wonky.

Oil ran from Feb 7, 2010 through June 2nd. Lab used was Fluid Life Corporation.

NOTE: Numbers in brackets indicate items flagged by lab (fuel and viscosity basically). Lab comments: "Assess all causes of viscosity dilution - fuel leak, excess idling, wrong lube used, sample contaminated, overheating. Resample mid-interval to monitor."

Code:

Sample Date June 02/10

Lab Name FLUID LIFE

Oil QL Bulk 5W-30

Filter ACD PF456G

Total Miles 41,569 miles

Miles on oil 3319 miles

OLM 57%

Make up oil 0

Aluminum....... 0

Chrome......... 0

Iron........... 7

Copper......... 1

Lead........... 0

Tin............ 0

Molybdenum..... 5

Nickel......... 0

Manganese...... n/a

Silver......... 0

Titanium....... 0

Potassium...... 0

Boron.......... 135

Silicon........ 4

Sodium......... 0

Calcium........ 1890

Magnesium...... 11

Phosphorus..... 668

Zinc........... 789

Barium......... 0

Vanadium....... 0

Antimony....... 0

Lithium........ 1

Berylium....... 0

Flashpoint F... n/a

Fuel %......... (1.99)

Antifreeze..... Neg

Water.......... Neg

Insoluables.... n/a

cSt Visc@40C... (46.8)

cSt Visc@100C.. (8.35)

TBN............ 5.69

Interestingly, my 3.6DI Outlook also gets fuel dilution and had sheared down the former M1 fills. I don't know how good or bad Ecotecs are on oil, but it would appear that our mix of driving is a primary factor in fuel dilution in both the 2.2 Ecotec and 3.6DI.

Link to my 3.6DI UOA's: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...170#Post1899170

TBN shows I could easily have gone much longer on this dino fill, but the fuel shearing isn't doing me any favours.

Regards,
/BTV

Thanks for the UOA with pennzoil , Especially thru a Canadian winter. Your OCI seems to be about what I run. it will be interesting to see what my Pennzoil platinum will be like after 3 mos , Quick / short OCi for cleaning (24$ Canadian) for 5 Qts PP. Then may switch to QS synthetic/Kendall blend / motorcraft /F.S / PYB or possibly ....OH the humanity! Supertech Dino. based upon the stats of VOA http://www.pqiamerica.com/summarypagerev1.html

what does fluid life chage for analysis? I think you need to order 10 kits?
Cheers!
Mike Z
04 hyundai Accent 1.6L 4Cyl 86KKm

Originally Posted By: zking67
Thanks for the UOA with pennzoil , Especially thru a Canadian winter. Your OCI seems to be about what I run. it will be interesting to see what my Pennzoil platinum will be like after 3 mos , Quick / short OCi for cleaning (24$ Canadian) for 5 Qts PP. Then may switch to QS synthetic/Kendall blend / motorcraft /F.S / PYB or possibly ....OH the humanity! Supertech Dino. based upon the stats of VOA http://www.pqiamerica.com/summarypagerev1.html

what does fluid life chage for analysis? I think you need to order 10 kits?
Cheers!
Mike Z
04 hyundai Accent 1.6L 4Cyl 86KKm

You're welcome. I aim to please.

I have no doubts PP will look great after only 3 months. My UOA was of 'bulk' conventional that the Pennzoil 10-Minute oil change shop uses. This is probably some variant similar to PYB, but that is purely speculation on my part. I don't have confirmation on exactly what oil they use for their bulk conventional fill.

I haven't ordered the kits through Fluid Life, but you're right, they do sell them in a box of 10. I actually obtain them individually from Princess Auto, the "Series 1" retails off the shelf for $26.99 and you can find more info here: http://www.princessauto.com/Hydraulic_Oil_Analysis. But note that the Series 1 doesn't include TBN, I pay an extra $25 for that. I believe if you combine the Series 1 with the TBN test, this is actually what they call "Series 6". Princess Auto doesn't stock this, so I have to fill out the additional test order form and submit that with my pre-paid Series 1 kit from Princess Auto.

It would appear that Princess Auto is not in the province of Quebec, so you'd have to order online if anything if you decide to go that route.

I have FS in the Pursuit right now as I had a box of 12 quarts from Costco (couldn't resist the price with a $6 off coupon). I more recently obtained some PP from Canadian Tire at 30% off and will use that after the FS is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back