Put 0w-20 in the Vibe for the first time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Eddie
+1 ARCO. I WOULD NOT BE RUNNING 0W20 IN A HIGH MILLEAGE ENGINE. Dang. Forgot caps lock on. Ed

Same here. I tried it a few years back in a back spec'd beater to use up some 5W20 I had, and I ended up switching back to 5W30. The better choice IMO was the 30 grade oil the engine was originally spec'd for, especially in something with with over 100K miles. Opinions vary.

Toyota, the maker of this vehicle's engine, has said it is 100% okay to run 0w-20 in this vehicle.

It's not like I am not going to just never check the oil. If I see oil loss, which hasn't happened yet at almost 1000 miles, I'll adjust my thinking.

This car is going into a winter in an area with winter temps where -10F is common. And it is a short tripper. 0w-20 makes sense for me where I live.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vibe_2007
+1 ARCO. I WOULD NOT BE RUNNING 0W20 IN A HIGH MILLEAGE ENGINE. Dang. Forgot caps lock on. Ed

Same here. I tried it a few years back in a back spec'd beater to use up some 5W20 I had, and I ended up switching back to 5W30. The better choice IMO was the 30 grade oil the engine was originally spec'd for, especially in something with with over 100K miles. Opinions vary.

Toyota, the maker of this vehicle's engine, has said it is 100% okay to run 0w-20 in this vehicle.

It's not like I am not going to just never check the oil. If I see oil loss, which hasn't happened yet at almost 1000 miles, I'll adjust my thinking.

This car is going into a winter in an area with winter temps where -10F is common. And it is a short tripper. 0w-20 makes sense for me where I live.

My beater was back spec'd to a 20 grade oil too. Engines develop wear patterns as miles are logged, and IMO moving down a grade might not be a good idea with 100K+ miles. It could increase consumption and the possibility of leaks. I'd consider a 0W30 for the winter. As always opinions vary. I'm always interested in how these things work out. I learned a lot from experimenting. Keep us updated.

My beater was back spec'd to a 20 grade oil too. Engines develop wear patterns as miles are logged, and IMO moving down a grade might not be a good idea with 100K+ miles. It could increase consumption and the possibility of leaks. I'd consider a 0W30 for the winter. As always opinions vary. I'm always interested in how these things work out. I learned a lot from experimenting. Keep us updated.

Point well taken. I'll monitor this closely as this one is paid off and is cheap to maintain, so I want it to last a few more years.

I'd love to send this off at the end of winter to Blackstone and see if this will work or if it is negative to the car.

Definitely will keep ya posted.
grin.gif

ARCO, you are really not going to like the lighter next gen oils they are probably working on. 0w-10 anyone? LOL
I was running VSP 0w20 with good results on the Honda. The !nzFE in the Toyota like a oil garde at the 20/30 margin - about 9cst hot.
Too bad I ran Liqui-Moly and ruined that HOnda motor - though it is a flawed design to begin with using L shaped rockers and overly long stroke of 3.5" - like a SBC V8!! IN a 1.5L dinky motor!

I have never gone over 50K running ILSAC GF4 or higher low ash oils on my super high stressed engines without major loss of power and high engine noise. Maybe I need a used VW 5 cyl running a 40 grade
smile.gif
Then the engine will go 200K but the body and suspension will be dead at 70K.

Point well taken. I'll monitor this closely as this one is paid off and is cheap to maintain, so I want it to last a few more years.

I'd love to send this off at the end of winter to Blackstone and see if this will work or if it is negative to the car.

grin.gif

Do you have UOA reports for a 30 grade oil? That would be a nice side by side with the 20 grade from this run.

grin.gif

Do you have UOA reports for a 30 grade oil? That would be a nice side by side with the 20 grade from this run.

No, but I wish I had. The good thing with such a ubiquitous engine as the 1ZZ-FE is that at least I can find gobs of reports from other owners. They put this motor in millions of cars.

Originally Posted By: cutter
Wonder how 0w-20 would fare in the 2zz.

If the 2zz is the 2.4L that was in the Corolla XRS and some of the Matrix models, then the chart I have says 0w-20 only in model years 2009-2012.

For earlier years than that it lists 5w-30 only.

Hope this helps

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
ARCO, you are really not going to like the lighter next gen oils they are probably working on. 0w-10 anyone? LOL
I was running VSP 0w20 with good results on the Honda. The !nzFE in the Toyota like a oil garde at the 20/30 margin - about 9cst hot.
Too bad I ran Liqui-Moly and ruined that HOnda motor - though it is a flawed design to begin with using L shaped rockers and overly long stroke of 3.5" - like a SBC V8!! IN a 1.5L dinky motor!

I have never gone over 50K running ILSAC GF4 or higher low ash oils on my super high stressed engines without major loss of power and high engine noise. Maybe I need a used VW 5 cyl running a 40 grade
smile.gif

There is nothing flawed about the Honda 1.5, its a very reliable engine. Also, the Liqui-Moly didnt ruin your engine. Sorry. How many engines have you gone through again?

Originally Posted By: cutter
Wonder how 0w-20 would fare in the 2zz.

If the 2zz is the 2.4L that was in the Corolla XRS and some of the Matrix models, then the chart I have says 0w-20 only in model years 2009-2012.

For earlier years than that it lists 5w-30 only.

Hope this helps

No, 2zz-GE is 1.8L and is speced 5w30, no back speccing! Im gonna use caterham blend in mine next OCI

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

smile.gif

There is nothing flawed about the Honda 1.5, its a very reliable engine. Also, the Liqui-Moly didnt ruin your engine. Sorry. How many engines have you gone through again?
Yes, it was sooo good they completely redesigned it for 2015.Boviously its not bullet proof. Quality oil and filter changed in reasonable OCI will not make a engine live. VTEC + ILSAC oil + E10 fuel = BOOM soon. C'mon I'm a 60 YO Uncle commuting to work 20 miles each way: what could I be doing wrong?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back