Purple T8 bulb?

JHZR2

Staff member
I put fluorescents in my shop because they are cost effective for the light, CRI, and amount of use I will put on them.

The HF 5000 lumen lights are really good, and I have a bunch of them too, but in a few spots I went fluorescent.

One 3000K bulb started purple, and never came to life. I tried it in multiple locations, and it’s the bulb, not any fixture.

Is it just done for? Any hope? Any way to make it work?

C53C46A5-78B5-407A-AFA0-E3B5971367D3.jpeg

Bum bulb. Looks like the gas is off in it. If it is a filament issue usually one end will light and the other will be more magenta. Nothing you can do about it.

Of the thousands of bulbs I have changed out Phillips were the worst for bad ones out of the box.

lowes had the t8 leds on clearance for 2$ each.. they are nice because instant light no waiting 5min on them to warm up.

edit that pic has an odd angle is that a 4 or 8ft fixture?

Also costco has 8000 lumen regular screw in bulbs for 20ea.

I am also considering 6 of their motion activated daisychainable led lights (looks like a 4ft shop light)

lowes had the t8 leds on clearance for 2$ each.. they are nice because instant light no waiting 5min on them to warm up.

edit that pic has an odd angle is that a 4 or 8ft fixture?

Also costco has 8000 lumen regular screw in bulbs for 20ea.

I am also considering 6 of their motion activated daisychainable led lights (looks like a 4ft shop light)
It’s a 4ft.

20each for a bulb, plus a fixture, gets costly. I don’t know if in the locations I’m looking at, I’ll get enough hours on them to justify. If I do, I’ll make the switch and these things are only getting cheaper.

edit, think you meant screw in like an Edison base, not a fluorescent tube...

7 in stock by me. I know where I’m going after putting the kids to bed...
7 seems reasonable but word of warning sometimes they are in bizarre spots.. for instance my 100ft clearance 12ga extension cord... for 26$
12 in stock couldnt find any neither could the employees, I did online order with pickup and the guy said they were 3 aisles over in a shipper.

lightbulbs I'd expect to be easier to find.. not like they do stacks in the tool section etc.
but maybe on a pallet high up.
if you cant find them you can sign up for lowesforpros and do instore pickup.

It sounds hard but super easy to signup and its free... lets you pickup in store items that are no longer available online.

see pictures. Its a gamechanger for clearance at lowes
Lowes website
lowesbulbs.JPG

Same item on lowes for pros website
lowesprosbulb.JPG

Thanks for the lead. It said my Lowes had 7, nobody could find them, but they had four packs for $6.68 so almost as good... beats buying another box of fluorescent tubes. The lumens are lower, as is the CRI, as compared to the luorescent tubes I have. But I’ll give them a try, and arrange my combination of bulb types to meet my needs..

Thanks for the lead. It said my Lowes had 7, nobody could find them, but they had four packs for $6.68 so almost as good... beats buying another box of fluorescent tubes. The lumens are lower, as is the CRI, as compared to the luorescent tubes I have. But I’ll give them a try, and arrange my combination of bulb types to meet my needs..
Thats where lowesforpros website comes in.. you order it and some guy magically finds it then you do instore pickup. on clearance :) works great.

I've found with led that lower lumens seem brighter vs fluorescent bulbs
ie 1800 on led = 2400 on fluorescent. CRI.. well its a garage? I like high cri in the kitchen and bathroom.

Thats where lowesforpros website comes in.. you order it and some guy magically finds it then you do instore pickup. on clearance :) works great.

I've found with led that lower lumens seem brighter vs fluorescent bulbs
ie 1800 on led = 2400 on fluorescent. CRI.. well its a garage? I like high cri in the kitchen and bathroom.

I agree. I’m not a fan of the higher temperature fluorescents that are blueish, but these 6500K LEDs are a pleasant color, and they do appear brighter despite lower lumen ratings.

Imwant better CRI over my workbench where more and better light is good. I put the LEDs in the working area of my one garage bay, where I have two, 4-bulb fixtures. That’s a spot more likely to break a bulb, so LEDs are good, amd no CRI concerns...

Back