Night Light Bulbs

This one has me stumped. Have a cheap night light you just plug in the wall, no on or off switch.
Seems anytime you unplug it from the outlet and then plug it back in, the bulb is burned out.
This has happened multiple times before.

Wanted to use the outlet tonight for a couple minutes and it happened again.
Wondered before I did it, will the bulb be blown? Sure enough, had to replace the bulb.:unsure:

LED or incandescent? How long was the bulb on? I've seen the same things with incandescent nightlight bulbs. It seems all you need to do is let it cool off then disturb it and the filament breaks.

Incandescent bulb. C7 rated 4 watts. I normally just leave the light plugged in 27/7/365
Maybe I should just put a new LED light on my shopping list.

Make sure you clean any corrosion off of the center contact terminal before you install a new bulb. Also, pry up the center contact if possible to ensure firm and positive contact with the end of the bulb when screwed into the socket. Poor conductivity can cause minor arching leading to degraded bulb life.

Thanks for the ideas, folks. Think I'll just grab a couple new LED lights and call it a day.

go to dollar tree ,get a new one for $1.25,,and check the condition of your outlet,replace if in doubt

Perhaps a bad light fixture, bulb socket or outlet problem? I have an old incandescent night light upstairs that can be turned off. I snagged a pack of old school night light bulbs on ebay. In the past 20 years I have only had to change one or two bulbs. My power co. passed out some free LED bulbs and several LED nightlights some years ago. Those night lights only last one or two years, but they're continually on.

Bad Outlet
Everything else works fine in the outlet. Dehumidifier, shop vac and other lights.

I had some leftover Christmas bulbs (but ran out of them) and they never blew. Just started when I bought nightlight bulbs.

This one has me stumped. Have a cheap night light you just plug in the wall, no on or off switch.
Seems anytime you unplug it from the outlet and then plug it back in, the bulb is burned out.
This has happened multiple times before.

Wanted to use the outlet tonight for a couple minutes and it happened again.
Wondered before I did it, will the bulb be blown? Sure enough, had to replace the bulb.:unsure:
Get rid of it and get a night light with an LED.

Time to go LED. Most of ours were swapped for ones with batteries—if the power goes out, they function as emergency lighting, at least for a bit.

Back