Purple power or simple green?

What do you use and why? What is the chemical difference?

I've always used purple power. Cheap, can buy in bulk and seemed like it worked well. Mainly used it on anything pertaining to vehicles (grease or fuel related). But also used it in the house a little.
At work we use simple green on everything greasy, brake dusty, tires and everything looks good after application. And it seems like it work well. I'm soon to run out of purple power. Should I get some simple green? What is the difference? Is one harder/harsher than the other?

In my experience, Simple green is kind of like the Ivory Soap of degreasers.
More environmentally friendly, less harsh, etc.
However, I just bought 2.5 gallon jug of a purple power type degreaser on clearance for $4.91 @ Rural King.
So, guess I'm sticking with that for awhile.

What do you use and why? What is the chemical difference?

I've always used purple power. Cheap, can buy in bulk and seemed like it worked well.

At work we use simple green on everything greasy, brake dusty, tires and everything looks good after application. And it seems like it work well.
If you use both ....... what do you think ?

A small bottle of Simple Green worked just fine.
I was under the impression SG and PP were similar if not the same.
I've been on Purple Power for a while.

For a general purpose heavy duty cleaner, I have had great results with combination of Simple Green and TSP (trisodium phosphate). This works great when cleaning smoke residue during home fire remediation.

TSP is getting hard to find in stores but I find it easily enough online. Be sure to rinse it off right away if using on aluminum.

If you use both ....... what do you think ?
They seemed the same to me. I guess I'm looking for the input about chemical difference. Maybe one is better than the other for certain things. So far they work great for what I used them. I guess I'll get what ever is cheaper next time ;)

I think Purple Power is a bit better as a pure de-greaser and Simple Green is a better general purpose cleaner. Both can be problematic on aluminum or other shiny metal surfaces.

Per my experience, Purple Power and Super Clean are very caustic due to a high pH value. They will do a number on your skin if handled for long without latex or nitrile gloves. The Simple Green seems to be much less aggressive in attacking skin tissue and even aluminum. If you need an aluminum safe cleaner, use the purple colored Simple Green Pro HD version which is available at Home Depot as a concentrate.

Much more satisfied the last few years; with deliberate hording and measuring; I have usually 3 different spray bottles of SG
50/50 (most commonly used in the shop)
1:3 or 1:4 (used inside usually)
Straight: rarely used

I find the straight to leave too much residual cleaner. The diluted bottles get the job done 90% of the time. And dilljtion greatly improved the economics

However, it can be a crap shoot in regards to the spray head wearing out before I go thru 2 or more bottles. (ZEP branded empty bottles at Lowe’s seem to be much more robust and can deliver a nice strong long stream)

Much more satisfied the last few years; with deliberate hording and measuring; I have usually 3 different spray bottles of SG
50/50 (most commonly used in the shop)
1:3 or 1:4 (used inside usually)
Straight: rarely used

I find the straight to leave too much residual cleaner. The diluted bottles get the job done 90% of the time. And dilljtion greatly improved the economics

However, it can be a crap shoot in regards to the spray head wearing out before I go thru 2 or more bottles. (ZEP branded empty bottles at Lowe’s seem to be much more robust and can deliver a nice strong long stream)
At work we use Simple green for everything. Cleaning the counters, merchandising tasks like planograms, etc. I always dilute it. Always try to have 2-3 bottles floating around so I can distribute new ones into it. I am for about 1/4 simple green as it does the job just fine.

Back