Purolator W54451 coolant filter cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was on my '76 PB100 van with a 225 slant six for about 200 miles. I cut it open so early because I thought I had it plumbed backwards (I did). As you can see, it had caught an amazing amount of rust in such a short time. The Purolator filter had a much stronger can and many more media pleats with tighter spacing than the Napa/Wix 4070s I've been using on the Saturd. I think I'll use the Puros from now on, as they are comparable in price and look better made to me.

I didn't get pictures of it, but the media was ballooned outward because I had the inlet and outlet lines reversed.

IHkMovC.jpg

vBzlPzJ.jpg

L9AJKQf.jpg

That Filter did its job.

Would it be more effective to run some Coolant System CLEANER thru the system and then drain
the Radiator and possibly the Engine Block ? ? ?
Several times if need be, then install a new Filter.

I've always been tempted to install a Filter like that on my vehicle.
I don't know how much I would benefit as my Cooling System has always been maintained.
But I like the concept.

A coolent filter is a great idea to raise the profits of the filter makers!!! Air filter, oil filter, gas filter, cabin filter, and now a coolant filter??!!! Lol. How often do you recommend to change the coolant filter? Once a week??? Hahahaha

For severely mistreated systems like in the original post? Yes. Once a week would probably be necessary until it starts cleaning up.
My system wasn't nearly as bad, though there was still some garbage floting around. My first one had 1500 and I think Ill do my next at around 7500.
On a clean system, 20k miles or more would probably be okay.

Originally Posted By: gilbertsta
A coolent filter is a great idea to raise the profits of the filter makers!!! Air filter, oil filter, gas filter, cabin filter, and now a coolant filter??!!! Lol. How often do you recommend to change the coolant filter? Once a week??? Hahahaha

I would rather toss my money at the filter folks for a filter than at the parts people for cooling system parts.

This is a necessity for engines that have been neglected or abused, and also engines that drop a lot of sand as life goes on.

Ask anyone who has ever had an oil cooler or heater core failure due to sediment in the cooling system if they wish they had bought a filter instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back